Arkansas folks speak up.........

Thanks Jarhead! I was just looking at some pre-manufactured coops online. I can't help but feel I caused all of this. I have never built anything like this before so I didn't know how well it would work. The only thing I can figure is she fell. Here's a pic of the coop, excuse the DH on the side:
42035_img00020.jpg

Looks pretty functional for a couple of birds to me. Is it a converted rabbit hutch or did you build it from scratch? I am guessing there is a board for them to roost on inside the hutch. Did she fall off of it or did the board fall? How wide is the board they roost on inside? If it is narrow that might be the problem. I like using either a 2x4 (turned with the 4" side flat for them to stand on) or a wide natural branch. You want something wider that the foot of the chicken for 2 reasons. #1 to give them a sturdy surface to stand on and #2 in the winter it helps keep the feet warm and not get frostbite. If the board is too narrow they can fall off in the night from shuffling around.

Now with all that said, I honestly don't think there is enough height there for her to have suffered a broken bone from falling. I guess it's possible, but it seems very unlikely. I think what would be more likely is that she pulled something if her leg got caught on the roost as she fell. I have seen mine fall better than 4 feet when they are trying to get settled and one pushes another off a roost when they are jockeying for a favorite spot. No broken bones from those falls.

At any rate I really think it was just a freak accident and NOT YOUR FAULT.

Urban,
I had something sort of similiar. It turned out to be botulism and the hen did get better. I am so sorry you are having this problem right away. Try to learn everything you can from this and share it with us. I sincerely doubt you are responsible with your hen house roosts. Chickens are clumsy for the most part and can handle a lot of bouncing around, falling off of things.If your chicken is willingly eating add some good yogurt (like the greek with tons of probiotics in it) and some electrolytes (a teaspoon or so), to the food. Apple cidar vinegar in the water is good but you have to get it from a health food store (with the Mother in it). Lots of people put electrolytes in the water but I am against that. You want the chicken to drink and flush out the system.

Try not to worry too much.

It was a rabbit hutch that we converted into a coop. There is a pole inside about 2 inches thick and a 8 inch thick board they can get on. The pole is what fell and I think she must have twisted her foot or something when she tried to jump on it. I am really thinking about building a bigger coop and keeping the run I have. I feel the coop is two small. I am going on lunch now. Im gonna check on my girl. Thanks for the support guys.

IMO I would get rid of the 2" pole and replace it with a 2x4 with the wide side up. A 2" pole is too skinny and and round for them to stand on securely as a roost. Still don;t think that short of a fall would hurt her, unless it was just a weird freak fall.

The yogurt idea is great, you can also use Keffir it has tons of good bacteria as well. Indian Hills Kroger has it, the Greek yogurt, and the Bragg cider vinegar w/ mother in the organic section way over in the corner over behind by the pharmacy. They hide the organic stuff.
tongue.png

By the way Welcome to you barredcountrycoop!
smile.png

The pole is gone. I took an extra long lunch to go and see her and she seems better than I thought. She dosen't want to use the leg but she did get up and limp away. I put her out in the run and she went for the food. I made sure there is water and food near by for her to eat. I m gonna buy a little dropper and some yogurt to feed her this evening. I go to the Indian Hill Kroger
tongue.png
I found my first egg this morning and when I checked on her again there was ANOTHER egg. Thats two in one day! Can chickens lay multiple eggs? I don't think it was Eva, Zoii has expressed more interest in the nest box. So I have two. We picked Eva up, washed her leg, and cleaned it with some antibacterial. She scrapped two of her scales off her feet. And she did move the leg alittle. Mabey she just sprang it real good and hurt the nerve/tendon. I know I don't want to move something when it hurts so mabey she just dosn't want to move it. I hope so. I want her to get better. I will keep an eye on her.

Back
Top Bottom