Arkansas folks speak up.........

live traps out around the backside of your coop will catch whatever kind've varmint ya got. Conibear and a bucket is all ya need.

We have found some "free" roosters in our local paper. These work great as bait. We do not always catch the predator, but at least they grab the free rooster and not anything of quality. Most of the predators avoid the live and steel traps.

Nevermind.
duc.gif

I just got back from visiting our new home in Boxley Valley. It is amazing country. We'll be moving in June or July when my teaching contract is over for the year. We realized that, logistically, it doesn't make sense to bring our current flock to Arkansas from Virginia (stress on the birds, no coop built there yet, having to leave one person in AR or VA to supervise the flock while the other tries to move or build on the property, etc.). Also, the new cabin is on a small PV system (solar power), so I'll be selling my incubators, too, and will need to start over in Arkansas with purchased chicks, which I've never done before.

Anyway, to make a long story short, I'm thinking about what breeds I'd like to keep after the move and was wondering if there are any good breeders of RC Brown Leghorns in the NW Arkansas area. I'd appreciate your advice. Thanks!

The view from our new deck - amazing!

If you want really good layers get Cinnamon Queens or Rhode Island Reds; Hens are usually very easy as far as the kids go if you raise them from chicks. With the dogs you may want to bury some wire in the ground around the perimeter of the pen about 6 inches to discourage them. Depending on the breed, sometimes they really don't care about the chickens unless you let them out!! Which I would not do. A good high protein layer feed and oyster shell is necessary for layers.

Because you are starting over, i recommend you getting some nice birds that will lay and you can show. It costs just as much to feed a mutt bird as a quality one.
I am sure someone in the arkansas threads will have some culls to sell you. Beware of buying from just anyone selling birds. The birds may have diseases.

Production Reds or Leghorns will be great just for egg laying. I suggest getting them from a hatchery, local feed store, or someone here on BYC.

Back
Top Bottom