Artichokes anyone??

erinszoo

Songster
8 Years
Jun 28, 2011
North Central Oklahoma
Does anyone or has anyone grown artichokes from seed before? I've planted them three years in a row now. The first year they grew great but never produced a bloom of any kind. They even lived through the winter in our greenhouse but never did anything the next year and eventually died in the horrible heat of the second summer. Last year they sprouted but never put on true leaves and all died after about 6 weeks. Weird, I know. This year I planted two different kinds after doing a two week chilling in the fridge as one seed company suggested, one variety has all sprouted and put up nice big healthy starts, while the other variety hasn't sprouted at all. Any tricks of the trade to get these to produce? I'm in a zone 6B to 7.

Does anyone or has anyone grown artichokes from seed before? I've planted them three years in a row now. The first year they grew great but never produced a bloom of any kind. They even lived through the winter in our greenhouse but never did anything the next year and eventually died in the horrible heat of the second summer. Last year they sprouted but never put on true leaves and all died after about 6 weeks. Weird, I know. This year I planted two different kinds after doing a two week chilling in the fridge as one seed company suggested, one variety has all sprouted and put up nice big healthy starts, while the other variety hasn't sprouted at all. Any tricks of the trade to get these to produce? I'm in a zone 6B to 7.

I wish I knew.. I have been considering growing them for several years now but haven't found any really good info on how to get them to survive the Texas heat & droughts

Back
Top Bottom