ASAP rehome needed

Unfortunately Facebook is full of dumb dumbs and poultry protector spray is worthless.
Permethrin will work but you need to spray every bird and the coop every five or six days for a few weeks.
Yeah we learned that especially one we used it and saw a tiny bit of relief for our girls so we decided to use elector psp which I was told so so many times should be a one and done so we treated 2 times a week apart and didn’t see much, change. I think the bigger issue is that we took a few months to realize what it was because we thought it was a molt and by then we had brought mites inside and in the barn and everywhere and it was just too late to get rid of them everywhere

Sure, I can understand that, and you sound desperate for sanity again. I'm sorry for handing out a solution to you that you have already heard.
No worries I appreciate everyone’s attempt to help I am just sad that it seems that not many people can take any of our birds so we probably have to cull all of them. I am trying to look at this all as lessons for next time but it doesn’t make it any easier

No worries I appreciate everyone’s attempt to help I am just sad that it seems that not many people can take any of our birds so we probably have to cull all of them. I am trying to look at this all as lessons for next time but it doesn’t make it any easier
For sure. There's nothing easy about facing such a possibility, and having so few options. And yes, lessons for next time, but thats different from the feelings going on now... I wish some people could come forward and take them. I can't, I just moved to a ground floor apartment and smuggled in one hen. Or I would love the challenge. I think people get a bit scared. Im just so sorry... I wonder if these mites are resistant to the usual? Maybe then that indicates something, anything that could help? (I'm sorry, I don't mean to be a thorn while you're going through this. I just keep trying to find solutions...) could SPCA or humane society help?

Not too sure what you have been told, and I'm sorry again, but an updated list of treatments is here:
https://poultrydvm.com/condition/mites

Last edited:
For sure. There's nothing easy about facing such a possibility, and having so few options. And yes, lessons for next time, but thats different from the feelings going on now... I wish some people could come forward and take them. I can't, I just moved to a ground floor apartment and smuggled in one hen. Or I would love the challenge. I think people get a bit scared. Im just so sorry... I wonder if these mites are resistant to the usual? Maybe then that indicates something, anything that could help? (I'm sorry, I don't mean to be a thorn while you're going through this. I just keep trying to find solutions...) could SPCA or humane society help?

Not too sure what you have been told, and I'm sorry again, but an updated list of treatments is here:
https://poultrydvm.com/condition/mites
100% totally understand and I commend you for even being able to get the one in. Thank you for being so understanding. People on Facebook were overall not nice or understanding at all and that just makes and already difficult situation worse. We are good people who love our animals and hate to have this happen but we caught this infestation too late and it is no longer worth our sanity. We will have chickens again in a couple of years I am sure and we now know changes we can make and implement to prevent this from happening in the future. Anyway sorry for the rant thank you for sharing that link I have saved it with all of my notes to reference next time. I tried the MSPCA which has a farm rescue but it’s by appointment only and they don’t answer their phones.

Long story short our chickens have mites we have tried to treat it for months with no success and don’t have anymore fight left in us unfortunately. Please don’t suggest anything anything else I am pretty sure we have tried it all. Per the suggestion of others I am looking for anyone that wants to adopt 2 (or 3 or all of them or our 2 ducks) and treat them before adding to your flock.

- 2 Drake Pekin ducks about 4 years old

- 1 rooster Blue Cochin about 4 years old he is very sweet and calm. He was attacked by a fox a few years ago defending his girls and was reintroduced to them after a few months in the barn being nursed back to health. He is a little slow and not good for guarding anymore but will keep your hens in line and is very lovable.

- 10 or so hen White Leghorns about 4 years old

- 1 rooster Barred Rock about 1 year old big boy good guard rooster

- 1 rooster Welsummer about 1 year old we call him our alarm he is very vocal and will alert to anything.

- 1 rooster Red Star about 1 year old he is kind of beteeen the other two roosters but I think he would be a good guard rooster

- 2 hen Welsummers about 1 year old

- 2 hen Whiting True Green about 1 year old

- about 10 hen Red Star about 1 year old

- 3 hen Barred Rock about 1 year old

- 3-4 hen Buff Orpington about 1 year old

- 3-4 hen Ameraucana about 1 year old

- 4-5 white leghorn about 1 year old

All birds are located in East Longmeadow Ma. I am just doing this to limit the opinions and negative feedback. This is already so difficult and those things make it harder.
I wouldnt mind having your Blue Cochin rooster or Barred Rock rooster, but distance is the issue.
Here's your state thread. You might have good luck there and I wish you the best and hopefully for your birds.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/byc-members-in-massachusetts.50058/

100% totally understand and I commend you for even being able to get the one in. Thank you for being so understanding. People on Facebook were overall not nice or understanding at all and that just makes and already difficult situation worse. We are good people who love our animals and hate to have this happen but we caught this infestation too late and it is no longer worth our sanity. We will have chickens again in a couple of years I am sure and we now know changes we can make and implement to prevent this from happening in the future. Anyway sorry for the rant thank you for sharing that link I have saved it with all of my notes to reference next time. I tried the MSPCA which has a farm rescue but it’s by appointment only and they don’t answer their phones.
Hey.. Im just so sorry about all this. And so many facebookers are a bit too... fascist? Or patronizing. They aren't that great with support or sympathy. And that is so great that MSPCA claims to do farm rescue. But by appointment? Woah. And won't answer phones... that's crazy. What is anyone supposed to do? Book an emergency rescue in advance? Well.. I wish you every bit of good, and recovery from this huge ordeal... im lucky to have this one with me saved... can someone out there please try and help these people?

Back
Top Bottom