Ascites Relief. Did I do it right?

vantain

Songster
Sep 2, 2018
Southern Minnesota
I have a 2yr old RIR that has a bad case of Ascites. In hindsight, I noticed her abdomen being somewhat larger than my other hens, several months ago, but just figured it was her unique anatomy. Well, fast forward to now, and I found this girl standing in a corner, upright, with her abdomen hanging on the ground. It was the size of a grapefruit. She has stopped eating, and was breathing heavily.

I read post after post about Ascites relief, by draining off some fluid. So I did just that. I pulled about 250ml from her, and felt like going too much further might put her into shock. Yes, I started her on Baytril yesterday, and have been tube feeding her water with electrolytes.

The fluid I drained off is what you can see in the photo. It isn’t clear, and is slightly cloudy, and tinged greenish. Well, at least some of it was. After the first 35ml or so, it did become more yellowish and clear. After I pulled the 250ml from her, I continued to let her drain for awhile with the needle still inserted. Again, after awhile I decided to pull it. It kept dripping for the next hour or so, and I think it’s still dripping. Is this normal, or should it have stopped by now?

I’m guessing she will need it done again in the next few days, because I’m sure I did not get it all. How do you know when you got enough out? Is there some way to determine that?

Anyway, she is resting in a crate in my basement. I put a towel in there to continue soaking up the fluid she is still draining. I’m a bit concerned about poop. If she poops and then sits in it, she could get that on the site where I put in the needle. I’d really like to try avoiding infection. I did clean the area with antibiotics, but since it’s still dripping, I’m not sure how useful that was.

Anyone have some thoughts on this?

Attachments

• 41D49F67-0AA9-4F86-B596-E79B243BA3B0.jpeg
    41D49F67-0AA9-4F86-B596-E79B243BA3B0.jpeg
    327.9 KB · Views: 52
Well, she’s alive and seems comfortable this morning. I’m going to give her more water with eloectrolytes, put some neosporin on the site of the needle, and send her back out to the flock. She leaked out enough last night, that her abdomen feels mostly normal in size now. She doesn’t seem interested in food right now, but she is also stressed at being in the crate and away from her flock mates.

Good job on draining your hen. I have only done it to one small bantam hen. Her fluid was more yellow, so I would suspect more bile in your hen’s fluid. That may be due to a more advanced liver issue, but I don’t really know. I only drained when my hen was short of breath from her enlarged belly. Her belly had turned purple which was a different sign. I only got to drain her 3 times over about 2 weeks, and then she died. She also leaked for a few hours after the needle was removed. The last time, the fluid was thick and ver cloudy. I found about 6 large fluid filled cysts in her belly after I did the necropsy, and wished that I had taken pictures. I have done necropsies on a handful of other older hens with different causes. I always recommend doing one to look at organs, and try to figure out what was going on.

Good job on draining your hen
Thanks. Learning to take care of chickens like this is nail biting sometimes, but the extent of experience and help on this site is phenomenal. I would never have attempted this without this site, and good folks like you that have provided so much experience and direction.

My hen is currently out with her flock. I am monitoring her, to see if she eats on her own yet. She is standing normally again, and her tail is not down, but also not upright like a normal happy hen. I’m sure she just needs time, and maybe even then that is something she does not have much of.

She never ate or drank on her own yesterday, so I tube fed her before they went to roost, and also gave her water. This morning, she still didn’t seem interested in the normal feed, so I tubed her some more water. I’m hoping she will start to eat on her own again.

As of today, my hen has returned to eating on her own. I had been tube feeding her for a few days to help her get her strength back, and it worked. He abdomen has shrunk back to almost normal, so we will see if this issue comes back.

As of today, my hen has returned to eating on her own. I had been tube feeding her for a few days to help her get her strength back, and it worked. He abdomen has shrunk back to almost normal, so we will see if this issue comes back.
Could I ask what size needle and syringe you used and where on your chicken did you drain from? I'm having trouble getting my chicken to drain much and the syringe becomes too hard to pull. Sounds like you did a good job! Nice to hear she is doing better.

Could I ask what size needle and syringe you used and where on your chicken did you drain from? I'm having trouble getting my chicken to drain much and the syringe becomes too hard to pull. Sounds like you did a good job! Nice to hear she is doing better.
18 gauge needle. I chose a spot that looked clear of any veins and felt like it was nothing else there under the skin but liquid. If looking at the hens back side, I inserted the needle about three inches down and about 1 1/2" to the right of her vent. So the hen's right side. I cut away feathers to have a clear shot at where I inserted the needle. I cleaned the spot with alcohol wipes multiple times to be sure it was as clean as possible, Then I stuck the needle in about 1/2".

I did have to pull the needle out to drain the syringe, because it was a luer lock type, and I guess I had turned it too tight. So while draining my hen, I couldn't get it off the syringe. But, after I removed it, and loosened it, I was able to place it right back in the same hole I originally made, and continued to drain her that way, removing the syringe from the needle to drain it, then reattach it.

So far, my hen is still doing very well, and it appears her swelling has gone down considerably. I don't think it is refilling, but I'm keeping tabs on her in that regard. She is just acting like a normal chicken at this point, and enjoying life.

Hi!
I have dealt with multiple cases of ascites, I’m dealing with one now as well, and I have researched on this site different things to give that reduces the liquid in the abdomen.
I have found that mixing
Cinnamon powder, apple cider vinegar, oregano, and water together and then giving 4-8 mL each day really helps reduce the fluid.

I also give Lily of the desert aloe detox at 4-8 mL each day.
Both of these things given daily was able to completely remove all liquid from my hen for three months until it stopped and it was time to drain.

just wanted to mention in case you were interested in it.
I also give milk thistle to my current hen with ascites just in case of liver issues.

18 gauge needle. I chose a spot that looked clear of any veins and felt like it was nothing else there under the skin but liquid. If looking at the hens back side, I inserted the needle about three inches down and about 1 1/2" to the right of her vent. So the hen's right side. I cut away feathers to have a clear shot at where I inserted the needle. I cleaned the spot with alcohol wipes multiple times to be sure it was as clean as possible, Then I stuck the needle in about 1/2".

I did have to pull the needle out to drain the syringe, because it was a luer lock type, and I guess I had turned it too tight. So while draining my hen, I couldn't get it off the syringe. But, after I removed it, and loosened it, I was able to place it right back in the same hole I originally made, and continued to drain her that way, removing the syringe from the needle to drain it, then reattach it.

So far, my hen is still doing very well, and it appears her swelling has gone down considerably. I don't think it is refilling, but I'm keeping tabs on her in that regard. She is just acting like a normal chicken at this point, and enjoying life.
Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom