Ascites Relief. Did I do it right?

Well..an update on my hen. Since I last reported, and had removed quite a bit of the fluid from her abdomen, she appears to have fully recovered. Over the past couple of weeks, the remaining fluid must have been absorbed, as her extended belly is now completely back to normal. I sill check on her daily, and observe that she is eating, drinking, pooping (from the roost at night), and doing normal chicken things. The only thing I have not seen yet is whether she has returned to laying eggs or not. I have seen her in the nests, but have not been able to be sure that any eggs I find in there are actually hers. Of the 7 hens I have, I have found up to 5 eggs in one day. So there is a chance that one could be hers. I should dye her vent to see if I can pinpoint if she's laying or not, since spending a lot of time in the nests, and not laying, wouldn't be good.

In any case, she is doing find, and the fluid doesn't appear to be building up anymore.

Interesting. I may have to consider trying this. I wish I knew exactly what started my hens ascites, and why, after draining, she has returned to normal for the time being.
its definitely a mystery as I've never heard about it either. It's a possibility the body had what it needed/ was strong enough to self-heal and that's why(?)

It appears that my RIR is starting to fill up with fluid again. She's still eating/drinking normally, but I have noticed she is slowing down, and being a littler quieter than her normal self. It's odd that after draining her the first time, her abdomen firmed back up, and appeared to be completely back to normal. Now, almost four weeks later, it seems to be occurring again. Like many of you have mentioned, this is a symptom of something greater, so I knew going into this, that this hen was on borrowed time.

It appears that my RIR is starting to fill up with fluid again. She's still eating/drinking normally, but I have noticed she is slowing down, and being a littler quieter than her normal self. It's odd that after draining her the first time, her abdomen firmed back up, and appeared to be completely back to normal. Now, almost four weeks later, it seems to be occurring again. Like many of you have mentioned, this is a symptom of something greater, so I knew going into this, that this hen was on borrowed tim
im really sorry shes filling up again, i think i mentioned the home treatment i used, maybe it could help? mine made a full recovery off of it.

Wishing the best for her 🤎

She is just not acting her normal self. She is drinking, but isn’t eating. She will eat a wetted mash of her normal feed.

I think she is filling up again, I’m not sure. I seem to be having a lot of issues with my chickens lately for some reason.

I was able to get maybe 75ml out of her. I don’t think I hit as good of a spot as last time, or my technique was off. Anyway, she’s on a towel, draining on her own.

Attachments

• 5A7EBAE1-4364-427B-953A-6A9F6407EA38.jpeg
    5A7EBAE1-4364-427B-953A-6A9F6407EA38.jpeg
    562.5 KB · Views: 8

Back
Top Bottom