Ask a chef

Pics
Everything causes cancer, you just have to live long enough to get it.
Use moderation, know that you should not live off of pepperoni, but go ahead get it on your pizza.
I avoid processed food, that said, I love a ham sandwich every once in a while.

What was it that Ben Franklin said? use moderation in all things, including moderation.

I agree with that, but you should remmber that in our dayes there is MUCH more things that we should be moderate about, than BF times! So if you are moderate about A LOT of thing, you will find that the accumulation of them will put you in some bad situation. Because they have synergistic affect.
So in my opinion there are some things ths should be avoided completely so you can be moderate with outer without getting to problems!

I think what he meant was that there are occasions to splurge.
I do not eat bread anymore, but If I happened to be visiting your house when you brought that spelt bread out of the oven... You would be able to talk me into a sample.
big_smile.png

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]
I think what he meant was that there are occasions to splurge.
I do not eat bread anymore, but If I happened to be visiting your house when you brought that spelt bread out of the oven... You would be able to talk me into a sample. :D

I also don't eat any bred and any wheat products!
I am practicing a modified Paleolithic diet, that suit me.
This bred is for my outer family members that don't practice my diet.
Spelt has a low glicimic index so if you choose to eat grain, Spelt snd Oats is the best. And when I do eat carbohydrates I eat no more than 50 grams per day.
And you all are VERY WELCOME IN MY HOUSE!

Last edited:
I like hard salami with the pepper around it.... but I buy it already sliced packages to have with swiss and fruit... and you are right a little goes a long way.

I am just seeing packages of different kinds of sausages that say '"No Nitrates" or "Nitrate free" I just wanted to know what the impact is to the shelf life.

for what its worth Here is a recipe for making Corned beef:

http://ruhlman.com/2010/03/corned-beef-how-to-cure-your-own/

towards the bottom in the comments someone said she did it without the pink salt and it tastes the same just doesnt have that color.

Then another commented why stop there why not make Pastrami too..... instead of cooking it in the spices you roll it in pepper and herbs and smoke it.

I know i sound like a broken record because I talk about doing stuff but never do it. the barrier here is this isnt my house. I want to learn as much about this stuff for when I move home. At home I will barely have telephone much less internet. Books are all good but....

When I get up there I will be almost off grid. the nearest grocery store will be sixty miles away. So my best bet is to buy enough beef to last me a year and freeze it or preserve it some how. In order to get frozen foods up there I have to Bring a couple of coolers down

thats why I am also reading up on home preserving..... Veggies meat fish ... and I want to make my own dogfood from trimmings.

Because when i move up there I will be living on social security and what ever online jobs I can get.

deb

I like hard salami  with the pepper around it.... but I buy it already sliced packages to have with swiss and fruit...  and you are right a little goes a long way.

I am just seeing packages of different kinds of sausages that say '"No Nitrates" or "Nitrate free"   I just wanted to know what the impact is to the shelf life.

for what its worth Here is a recipe for making Corned beef:

http://ruhlman.com/2010/03/corned-beef-how-to-cure-your-own/

towards the bottom in the comments someone said she did it without the pink salt and it tastes the same just doesnt have that color.

Then another commented why stop there why not make Pastrami too.....  instead of cooking it in the spices you roll it in pepper and herbs and smoke it.

I know i sound like a broken record because  I talk about doing stuff but never do it.   the barrier here is this isnt my house.  I want to learn as much about this stuff for when I move home.    At home I will barely have telephone much less internet.   Books are all good but.... 

When I get up there I will be almost off grid.  the nearest grocery store will be sixty miles away.   So my best bet is to buy enough beef to last me a year and freeze it or preserve it some how.   In order to get frozen foods up there I have to Bring a couple of coolers down

thats why I am also reading up on home preserving.....  Veggies meat fish ...  and I want to make my own dogfood from trimmings.

Because when i move up there I will be living on social security and what ever online jobs I can get.

deb

A food dryer is a good option! A smoker is another good one.

You can also can meat.
I can a lot of beans, and occasionally a lid won't seal and I have to eat it right out of the canner or if I discover it later- dump it.
I have not canned meat yet, I would hate to have to dump meat.

It is one thing to sacrifice an animal for my nourishment, It is another to waste it.
But if I were in your position, I might re-evaluate my stance on canning meat.
You might find a pressure canner will come in handy.
You will not need to be as dependent on refrigeration or having to go to the grocery.
What is the elevation at your place?

You can also can meat.
I can a lot of beans, and occasionally a lid won't seal and I have to eat it right out of the canner or if I discover it later- dump it.
I have not canned meat yet, I would hate to have to dump meat.

It is one thing to sacrifice an animal for my nourishment, It is another to waste it.
But if I were in your position, I might re-evaluate my stance on canning meat.
You might find a pressure canner will come in handy.
You will not need to be as dependent on refrigeration or having to go to the grocery.
What is the elevation at your place?

I have a pressure canner its waiting for me to take it home. I intend on canning chicken and duck as well as ground beef, Beef stew, and all sorts of soups and broths. Bone broth as well. But what got me going on the idea of canning was the idea that I can can my own fish like tuna or whole fish like Tilapia.

You can even preserve butter by canning it. There are a couple of ways to do it. straight on with the milk solids left in it or to clarify the butter Or even turn the butter into Ghee. Ghee has a shelf life once its opened of several weeks, its that stable. Also Ghee can be used for frying because it has a higher smoke rate.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/ghee-recipe.html

clarified butter too
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/clarified-butter-recipe/altons-clarified-butter.html

I have seen butter pressure canned.... but dont have the link.

I have had home canned tuna and it was very very good.

deb

I am looking forward to you getting your place back... but -How will we keep in touch with you?
and we will need to know how to get your book once it is published.
You will have to have make trips into the internet cafe every once in a while.
You will need a blog!
yea.. that's the ticket.

Back
Top Bottom