Ask a chef

Pics
Preparation for Shabat dinner
A Libian chiken tomatoes and potatoes stew " Tbecha bill tmatem"

Backed salmon filte with vingrate and taragon with green beens and red cherry tomatoes and yellow date tomatoes

Chees cake ( that is the making of my doghater! )

Last edited:

Roasted pork shank. Cauliflower puree.
Sauted swiss chard with bacon.
Blackberry honey drizzle
Mint and citrus zest garnish

Spring mix. Julienned jicama.
Sweet cherry peppers and baby artichoke hearts
W/ toasted walnut and fresh herb vinagrette

Our latest chefs special at work

A.

Been hectic around here doing fast food waaaaay too much.

threw a bunch of stuff together... Dont know what to call it but it was so yummy I had three bowls....
th.gif

Big pot I use for cooking Kilbasa and cabbage. seven quart non stick with a lid.

Half a stick of butter and a splash of olive oil..... saute'd a large sweet onion diced up.... Salt pepper garlic Tumeric and smoked paprika...
cooked them all till I could smell the seasonings. Then added two cans of carrots drained... And two cans of White homony Drained. Added a small can of diced hatch peppers. Heated those up till I could smell homony then added chicken broth just enough to see it maybe two cups? I salted again and peppered again.

Then added about a pound of shredded cooked chicken breast about two handfuls of dried parsley and a single lemon that was beginning to dehydrate. I partially sliced the lemon about five slices that were connected solidly. After having the dried lemon in stews from that persian restaruant I wondered if using one whole would be similar....

All things were cooked in this dish so it just needed to heat up and mix the flavors. so I set it on low. The only thing it needed was the taste of celery.... which I didnt have. But it was very very good. And it would be sooo much better with fresh ingredients I am sure.

I dont have the time to do prep because I am barely able to stand these days.... Its like I have x amount of energy and I have to use it judicuously...

deb

Last edited:
We need to come up with a name for that kind of cooking.
Every once in a while, I toss stuff together because it is what I have and it is really very good.
It is never something I would have thought to do, more of a day before grocery day meal.

We need to come up with a name for that kind of cooking.
Every once in a while, I toss stuff together because it is what I have and it is really very good.
It is never something I would have thought to do, more of a day before grocery day meal.

Ok you know me I had to look it up....

http://ask.metafilter.com/106738/What-do-you-call-a-big-pot-of-miscellaneous-leftovers

My favorite was "Dump Casserole".... But some of the stories down the comments were hilarious. for instance....

""One time my aunt was cleaning out the refrigerator, and she dumped a bunch of stuff into an empty milk carton, and left it in the sink. It was things like corn, and chopped up potatoes.

My uncle came home and was hungry, and saw it, so he dumped it into a saucepan and added milk, heated it up, and ate it. It turned out to be pretty much corn chowder.

So ever after that, our family referred to corn chowder as "garbage soup"."

My Great Grandma used to keep a pot on the stove that all the trimmings went into along with a chciken carcas or beef bones...

http://nourishedkitchen.com/perpetual-soup-the-easiest-bone-broth-youll-make/

Now you can make it in a crock pot.

deb

I am going through the freezer.... discovered some Cod... in there

I realllly need to mark the dates on stuff.

Anyway I have a Turkey defrosting which I am going to turn into several turkey dishes.... and finally bone broth. I took it out day before yesterday and its still frozen pretty much.

But I have various frozen items.... beef pork and fish. sausage..... The deal is I cant afford to have even steak in this family at ten bucks a pound... three steaks are thirty bucks.....
th.gif
But Like with turkey and ribs there are seasonal deals. the turkey was buy one get one free.... and the sale was 99 cents a pound. Same goes for steaks around fathers day.... three dollars a pound for ribeyes. For Memorial day it was Saint Louis Style pork ribs.... Frozen solid in vacuume sealed bags. that prompted frozen meat clean out project.

I REALLY need a full on freezer. I would so do make a head meals.... for those days when I have alot of energy... banking on the days when I dont and need to just pull a meal nuke it and make a salad to go with.

Anyone who tells you a bottom Drawer freezer is a good Idea DONT believe them. I hate it....

deb

Back
Top Bottom