ASK ME!!

Ok this is my first time Incubating eggs. Out of 12 shipped Serama eggs only 2 made it this far.
Im only on day 12 but hopefully they will hatch. Question is if/when they hatch should I put anything (like sav-a-chick) in their water? If so for how long? And should I give them gro-gel or just chick starter crumbles? Medicated or non?

Thats up to u some use sugar water but as for me I dont use anything unless I see reason for it. I use medicated feed starting out with just regular water

Thanks! I've been reading up on it but most posts were about shipped chicks not incubated/hatched chicks.
There were so many different opinions I was just totally confused.

Hi NC Chick Man82...

Hi im new to BYC and im used of owning rescue battery hens ..I've recently taken on 2 day old chicks and their doing amazingly they are now 4 weeks old and I love them..This question I have as im not used of owning such small chicks as they grow what treats can I give them if any yet??..I want to spoil them like my other animals but obviously I want to give them what's right and not anything unsuitable??..hope that's not a silly question im intrigued as to the help and support you give so I thought I'd ask you thankyou for your time, I also posted myself that I have these chicks they were hatched at a school in London I have no idea what breeds or sex yet as to what they are what's the best way to tell or is it too early..thankyou,

Kind Regards Carlzz1479 :)

Hi I have 5 week chicks which are with the mother and yesterday the mother started pecking them and they are all pecking each other! I was told by someone this is because she is now ready to lay again and to let them into the garden wwith the other flock. I have done this today, while keeping an eye on them. The mother is better with them and they don't go far from her. The other hens seem ok apart from one of them and my cockerel, who still go for them! Is this normal as the chicks are still so small? I am also worried that if the mother decides to sleep in the coop with the other flock will the chicks be ok on their own or in with others if they decide to go with her? The mother doesn't seem too protect them that well.

Hi wondered if you could advise? I have 3 eggs in incubator and on day 20 there was lots of movement then nothing on day 21. This afternoon ( day 22) there is a hairline cracking but no pip. I have been checking and have seen no movement all day. All 3 eggs are developed well all the way through but not seen anything happening. Any advise would be greatly received.

Brooder temp...is a little cooler better than a little warmer?
I have 3 almost 3 week old serama chicks.
They are in a bunny cage in a draft free room. Ive been upping the lamp/lowering the temp but this weekend it was down to 80* and they were all huddled together. I lowered it and the temp went up to 91* I've tried using different wattage bulbs at all different heights but I can't seem to find a medium. It's either 80* or 90*+
What should i do? They don't mind the warmer temp (actually think they like it better) but I would like them to get use to the cooler so i can transition them outside once they are fully feathered.

Brooder temp...is a little cooler better than a little warmer?
I have 3 almost 3 week old serama chicks.
They are in a bunny cage in a draft free room. Ive been upping the lamp/lowering the temp but this weekend it was down to 80* and they were all huddled together. I lowered it and the temp went up to 91* I've tried using different wattage bulbs at all different heights but I can't seem to find a medium. It's either 80* or 90*+
What should i do? They don't mind the warmer temp (actually think they like it better) but I would like them to get use to the cooler so i can transition them outside once they are fully feathered.

Kirstin, don't worry about it so much! As long as your chicks are in the 80*-90* range they will be perfectly OK. As they age you can raise the lamp and try to lower the heat to somewhere near the ambient temp in your area. If the chicks are a little cool they will huddle together to get warm and if they are hot they will spread out. Personally I thing they do better if they are just a little cool as they grow up and it makes it easier to get them to adjust to the outside temp in your area. With summer quickly approaching it won't be long at all till they need no extra heat source at all.

Try not to obsess over just a few degrees in temp and it will make your life easier and might even cause less stress on the birds. In just a week or so from now you will have three happy little chicks and they won't need any heat at all.

Can anyone tell me if wood shavings are ok to put in the chicken run? The chickens are scratching all the dirt away! If they eat it will it be harmful?

Two questions...i have 3 pullets in the same pen/coop...two 17 week old Seramas & one 14 week old polish tolbunt.
One of my seramas layed her 1st egg today. Since they are still on chick starter I put in a feeder with oyster shell for her but the pieces seem so much bigger than the starter feed. Will she have trouble eating it?
Also I saw my 14 week old polish tolbunt eating the oyster shell will it harm/hurt her?

Back
Top Bottom