ASK ME!!

ok chic man. I have a question. im new to raising chickens and this really makes me wonder...... I raise maraduna basques, they all get the same feed and water. how come some eggs are really dark brown and some are really light tan? im sure theres a reasonable explanation for this so if you can help I would really appreciate it.

Interestingly, individual hens--while they lay basically the same color throughout their lives--will still start out laying darker eggs at the beginning of the season after their bodies have had a (winter) break. When they hit their egg-laying stride, laying as quickly as they can for their breed, often their eggs lighten up. Heat stress can also cause eggs to lighten. And as they lay at a faster and faster rate and their eggs get larger, the hens themselves also lighten. There is only a certain amount of color each hen produces. If it is laid over more eggs or over a larger surface area, the eggs will be a lighter color.

quote name="shawn3295" url="/t/807339/ask-me/150#post_13120149"]let me add to that....... im talking eggs from the same chickens. the maradunas.  are some healthier than others?
[/quote]

Is there any way to tell wheaten Easter Eggers from white ones when they're small? I am getting five for a project and simply must have at least one wheaten one.

After reading through fifty pages of the Easter Egger chick colour versus adult colour thread, I feel I'm doomed to failure.

Ok this is my first time incubating eggs. Out of 12 shipped Serama eggs only 2 made it this far.
Im only on day 12 but hopefully they will hatch. Question is if/when they hatch should I put anything (like sav-a-chick) in their water? If so for how long? And should I give them gro-gel or just chick starter crumbles? Medicated or non?

Is there any way to tell wheaten Easter Eggers from white ones when they're small? I am getting five for a project and simply must have at least one wheaten one.

After reading through fifty pages of the Easter Egger chick colour versus adult colour thread, I feel I'm doomed to failure.

sorry but not that I know of :/

Back
Top Bottom