Ask your chick related questions HERE! (Newbies welcome!)

I am a real newbie and hope I am asking this question in the proper place. My 2 questions are this: I have 1 week old chicks (I think)....they have most of their wing feathers but no tail feathers started yet. They are eating medicated chick starter crumble. May I give them some greens and veggies now? Also, if I do give them greens and veggies will they need to have grit? Right now, they don't have any grit. Thanks in advance. :)
Hi Dmfmfl,

Haha, they'll get pert little tail feathers at the end of the first week or in the second. Most likely the 1st. I had 3-4 day old hatchlings sprouting tails and wings! Big time!
Of course you can give them some greens and veggies, yes you will need grit, fine gravel, sand or a clump of dirt will work well (or chick grit), leave it in brooder for 1-3 days to ensure they have some then dish out the veggies!

LotsOLopsChicks

My parents and I moved them to the coop yesterday with a heat lamp. They had a great time running around, and they survived their first night, so things are looking good so far :) The main issue we ran into is that they haven't figured out how to go up the ramp to the heated area yet. So, I think we will be keeping them in the heated area (with food and water) and just letting them out when the weather's good (it was raining today).

11007815_1390399941278375_594803928_n.jpg
Very good idea and best of luck!

LotsOLopsChicks

Thanks for your info. I have plenty of sand. I live in Florida. :) They are now getting those pert little tail feathers. They are so cute. I have a Silver Laced Wyandotte, a Buff Orpington and a New Hampshire Red. I'd like to get a Columbian Rock ....if I can ever find one. Can't wait to give them some veggies Thanks again.

Thanks for the info. We will have to keep the chicks in the house for a while anyway - winter just does not want to let go here. Just curious... Is it easier introducing a couple of new hens into a flock of younger chicks (say, 12 wk old), rather than the other way around?

Ok... new chick mom here. We have had our chicks for two weeks and I am guessing that they are about 6 weeks old. They have 95% of their feathers, almost all of the down is gone. This would be their first night out in their coop, if mom doesn't stress too much. The low for the night here in Knoxville, TN is 45. I'm worried that it will be too cold for them. There is no heat lamp in the coop. I have put them in the "condo" area that is closed and has a vent up high that I have closed 3/4 of the way. Will they be ok? I need some other chick parent opinions and advice. Thank you in advance!

HI, I was wondering at what point it would be safe to assume that chicks that have been outside have enough grit that they can handle foods requiring grit. My dad put a couple of mealworms in our hen house this morning, and I saw the biggest one swallowing what looked like a worm. That made me nervous, as I was thinking that they haven't been outside long enough to have picked up a good amount of grit (if indeed they've picked up any). Thanks.

Hey!!! Im new to chickens too (and this site)! I got 6 Golden Laced Wyandotte pullets and theyre now a week old! Im so amazed with these little birds!!! So i was wondering what I could add to their brooder at this age, or even further along, to give them something to do- enrich their environment so to speak. I currently have them in a 1.5x2.3 ft plastic storage bin, 2 ft deep (which im soon going to move them to a 3x6 ft metal feed bin to be sure they have plenty of room as they grow), with a red heat lamp, 2 water cups, and a long metal chick feeder that i set in at an angle so they can jump on top and "roost" with pine shavings as bedding. Tomorrow Im replacing one of their water cups with a water nipple attached to a gatoraid bottle to get them trained on those since that is what we plan to use later in their coop. So that's what I have so far.. Theyre so smart though i want to keep them entertained! Any ideas on what I can add to my setup? Thanks everyone!!!

I had bought two babies of buff orpington when they were almost 20 - 25 days old. One male chick and one female. They both survived well in freezing winter but after they reach 2 months of age, male chick got his hairs grown and he became fat but the female got cold and loose motions. I gave her medication with the help of a vet. doctor and the loose motions stopped but she became so so weak. Her legs are very very weak as she stands up and sits again after walking 2 to 3 steps. Her feathers are also weak and sort of drying. She eats nothing but very very few grains of barley. i am worried about her. Please help

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. We will have to keep the chicks in the house for a while anyway - winter just does not want to let go here. Just curious... Is it easier introducing a couple of new hens into a flock of younger chicks (say, 12 wk old), rather than the other way around?

Hello MiniFlock,

Well...I've never really tried that, I have 10wks and 3wks together fine, and they respect the big chickens (Bramha and bantams are nice), but they are scared of them because my mean ol' red sex links. Bramhas are good with them so far for me...Red Sex Links not so much.

I have had 12-14wks with 1-2wks... So maybe it is easier, since the younger chicks have been here longer. As long as it's just 2 or 3 big hens. you could try. :)

LotsOLopsChicks

Back
Top Bottom