Ask your chick related questions HERE! (Newbies welcome!)

I have 19 five week old chicks that are doing quite well. I built them a brooder about 4' x 6' so they'd have room to expand their little bods. Nights are getting to be well in the high 50s to low 60s.

I've read everything I can find but so far, I haven't found answers to the following:

1. Does it hurt for the heat to get up to between 80° and 90° at night? They seem to sleep all over the place; on their 2x6 perches I built them and even underneath the light. This week, I've even been able to turn off the light during the day and in Texas, it seems we may have skipped Spring and gone straight into Summer.

2. When do I change their feed from Chick Starter to something else?

Thanks in advance.

Hi StarChicken,

I have 1-3wk ducks and chicks outside, along with 5 3wk ducklings.

1. It's perfectly fine, really they should be fully feathered and not need a heat source now.

2. There is a dispute on this, but chick grower if your stores carry it can be used (but not necessary) and you can start feeding pellets 1wk - 2wks before the hens start to lay and start mixing around 3wks before. Or as an easier way, don't feed them layer pellets before 15-17wks. (look it up, for the breed)

LotsOLopsChicks

This is the beginning of week two (every one is 10-12 days old) my brooder temp is set at 90 but all the chicks are huddling underneath, should I let them adjust to the new temp or put the lamp lower (original height)?

This is the beginning of week two (every one is 10-12 days old) my brooder temp is set at 90 but all the chicks are huddling underneath, should I let them adjust to the new temp or put the lamp lower (original height)?
Hi Syndie,

Really, they should be fine, but watch them for the next 30minutes-1hr and if they don't adjust lower it a bit. :)

LotsOLopsChicks

I am brand new to raising chickens. I am planning on getting some chicks, but would also like at least a couple of ready to lay. I read on one site that you should only start with one age of chickens - either all chicks or all ready to lay. This didn't seem right to me. Any thoughts? :/

Hi! Thanks for all the answers so far. I'm also a newbie and have several questions...

1. Vertical space question. For two weeks I've had them in a large Rubbermaid container. They seem pretty happy over all. I will be moving them out to the garage this weekend though as they are starting to be a bit more rambunctious and kick up feathers and dust. My question is about providing vertical space for them while they're still in the brooder. I don't really want to leave them without a lid because then they'll be out of the box in no time and pooping all over my garage. Will they be ok with just 2 or 3 feet of air space to jump/flap around or do I really need to work on constructing something out of cardboard with higher walls so that I'm not containing them as much. Last night there was a moth flying around the heat lamp which is on the other side of the wire mesh I have on top of their container and they were going nuts trying to get at it.

2. General handling question. I'm totally new to this experience and I have been surprised at how fast they are growing. To be honest I'm starting to be intimidated by the process because they're kind of wild. They're generally willing to eat from my hand, so that's good. And one or two don't mind being held. The BO always runs like crazy, though is calm when I hold her. But the Ameraucauna, man... she hates being held. Struggles and complains the whole time. And she's the biggest so far which makes me worry how I'll handle her as she gets even stronger! I have a 2 year old daughter and another baby due in a few weeks, so I'm really keen on helping these birds to become fairly calm. Are they just being juveniles right now? Are they likely to mellow out as they get a little older? Are there better ways to hold them or approach them so they'll calm down and learn to trust me? Maybe it just takes time (for all of us) after all it's only been 2 weeks.

3. Health question: For about a week now my light Brahma has been sneezing. She seems ok other than that. She's still eating and drinking and pooping. Though she does seem to be developing more slowly than the others (RIR, BO, Ameraucauna) and is definitely not as rowdy as the other three. I have been debating adding some antibiotics to the water, but haven't done so yet. It sounds like either Tetetracycline or Duramycin would be good options. Do you have any recommendations? Should I just keep watching her and hope she eventually regains full strength without the meds? I already have vitamins/electrolytes/probiotics in their water btw.

Thanks for taking the time to help a newcomer! Really looking forward to getting some fresh eggs this summer!

I am a real newbie and hope I am asking this question in the proper place. My 2 questions are this: I have 1 week old chicks (I think)....they have most of their wing feathers but no tail feathers started yet. They are eating medicated chick starter crumble. May I give them some greens and veggies now? Also, if I do give them greens and veggies will they need to have grit? Right now, they don't have any grit. Thanks in advance. :)

My parents and I moved them to the coop yesterday with a heat lamp. They had a great time running around, and they survived their first night, so things are looking good so far :) The main issue we ran into is that they haven't figured out how to go up the ramp to the heated area yet. So, I think we will be keeping them in the heated area (with food and water) and just letting them out when the weather's good (it was raining today).

11007815_1390399941278375_594803928_n.jpg

I am brand new to raising chickens. I am planning on getting some chicks, but would also like at least a couple of ready to lay. I read on one site that you should only start with one age of chickens - either all chicks or all ready to lay. This didn't seem right to me. Any thoughts?
hmm.png
Hi Miniflock,

Well it's waht most people do. I think it's because there is no stress of introducing youngsters to the flock, as they can get pecked on by a herd of territorial hens coming their way! If your fine with the chicks having to stay separated (probably inside/garage) longer, go for it!

LotsOLopsChicks

Hi! Thanks for all the answers so far. I'm also a newbie and have several questions...

1. Vertical space question. For two weeks I've had them in a large Rubbermaid container. They seem pretty happy over all. I will be moving them out to the garage this weekend though as they are starting to be a bit more rambunctious and kick up feathers and dust. My question is about providing vertical space for them while they're still in the brooder. I don't really want to leave them without a lid because then they'll be out of the box in no time and pooping all over my garage. Will they be ok with just 2 or 3 feet of air space to jump/flap around or do I really need to work on constructing something out of cardboard with higher walls so that I'm not containing them as much. Last night there was a moth flying around the heat lamp which is on the other side of the wire mesh I have on top of their container and they were going nuts trying to get at it.
1. Well, they don't need to flap up, but they do like it! I think that (2-3ft )should be a lot and you also don't want them to get burnt by jumping into the heat lamp. If you want to make a cardboard wall thingy, why not? If you don't want to, okay!
2. General handling question. I'm totally new to this experience and I have been surprised at how fast they are growing. To be honest I'm starting to be intimidated by the process because they're kind of wild. They're generally willing to eat from my hand, so that's good. And one or two don't mind being held. The BO always runs like crazy, though is calm when I hold her. But the Ameraucauna, man... she hates being held. Struggles and complains the whole time. And she's the biggest so far which makes me worry how I'll handle her as she gets even stronger! I have a 2 year old daughter and another baby due in a few weeks, so I'm really keen on helping these birds to become fairly calm. Are they just being juveniles right now? Are they likely to mellow out as they get a little older? Are there better ways to hold them or approach them so they'll calm down and learn to trust me? Maybe it just takes time (for all of us) after all it's only been 2 weeks.
2. Well, sometimes teenage stage chicks can be plain old brats! Are you accessing the brooder to get them from the top? It may be scaring them, like your hand is a hawk. Announce your approach before sticking hand in box. It is possible they could mellow out, but keep handling them! My 10wk old Barred Rock (not sure on gender) follows be around like a puppy dog and sits on my lap-all I did was rescue him from the big chickens once and feed them, that was totally all his idea. I like it, and jope it stays that way!

3. Health question: For about a week now my light Brahma has been sneezing. She seems ok other than that. She's still eating and drinking and pooping. Though she does seem to be developing more slowly than the others (RIR, BO, Ameraucauna) and is definitely not as rowdy as the other three. I have been debating adding some antibiotics to the water, but haven't done so yet. It sounds like either Tetetracycline or Duramycin would be good options. Do you have any recommendations? Should I just keep watching her and hope she eventually regains full strength without the meds? I already have vitamins/electrolytes/probiotics in their water btw.
3. Try ACV (Apple Cider Vinegar) in the water if your not already, just a splash. Now, Bramha's are a calmer breed, could explain the calmness. I try to stay away from antibiotics, BUT, I have used them. :/
Keep an eye on this chick, perhaps he keeps getting dust in his nose (what type of bedding), if he gets worse or doesnt improve I recommend posting in raising chicks or the emergencies section :)

Thanks for taking the time to help a newcomer! Really looking forward to getting some fresh eggs this summer!
LotsOLopsChicks

Back
Top Bottom