Assist call duck hatching

CrazyChicken Lady

My Ducks are in a row🦆🦆🦆
May 25, 2020
Missouri
Hey everyone. I have a call duck egg that externally pipped last night. It’s being hatched by a mama duck so I don’t have constant access to it. It’s been 24 hours and it still hasn’t hatched. It’s slightly shrink wrapped as well. I carefully peeled back some shell and membrane around the air sac to give it some more space. It’s very vigorous and alert, chirping and squirming. His bill, some of his head, and one eyeball are open to air. He’s done the rest himself. Should I help? He clearly can’t move and is struggling to free himself from the membrane. I can’t see any blood or yolk but it’s also at the other end of the egg. What should I do?

Thank you. I am hoping I didn’t do to much, but I was so worried he was trapped. I read up on hatching them before I started, and I’ve raised adults for 2 years. This is the only call egg that made it to hatch since the other 3 got eaten by chickens. I understand they take longer, but he seems shrink wrapped….
Here’s a blurry picture.
IMG_1494.jpeg
you can’t quite see it but at the right angle you can see the membrane detached from the shell, dry looking, and tightly around the baby.

Thank you. I am hoping I didn’t do to much, but I was so worried he was trapped. I read up on hatching them before I started, and I’ve raised adults for 2 years. This is the only call egg that made it to hatch since the other 3 got eaten by chickens. I understand they take longer, but he seems shrink wrapped….
Here’s a blurry picture.View attachment 3511237you can’t quite see it but at the right angle you can see the membrane detached from the shell, dry looking, and tightly around the baby.
Do you have some vasline or coconut oil to hand? I'd brush a small amount onto any exposed membrane, to keep it moist.
Is the baby yawning or making chewing motions? This would indicate that the baby is still absorbing yolk and needs more time.

I put some coconut oil on the membrane but the eggs feels… almost squishy? It’s hard to tell but where the ducklings body is the egg just feels collapsed and loose. Is this just because half the egg( the air sac part) has been picked off? It’s weird. The baby is still chirping and moving lots. Just isn’t making any progress on its own. All the shell breaking has been me carefully peeling back it.

Back
Top Bottom