Assisted hatch on 24 hrs externally pipped chick, are these veins?

HungryBetty

In the Brooder
Apr 28, 2021
Hi,
This is our first hatch and our first external pipper has not made progress. At hour 24 I peeled away some of the shell. It appears that its foot is above his head and that I will need to help get the membrane off. I cannot tell if there are still veins that need to be absorbed and do not want to prematurely remove the membrane.
Please help us! TYIA!

Attachments

• 1725D203-F1FC-4010-BE3E-E4889A5D6365.jpeg
    1725D203-F1FC-4010-BE3E-E4889A5D6365.jpeg
    252.8 KB · Views: 54
Hi,
This is our first hatch and our first external pipper has not made progress. At hour 24 I peeled away some of the shell. It appears that its foot is above his head and that I will need to help get the membrane off. I cannot tell if there are still veins that need to be absorbed and do not want to prematurely remove the membrane.
Please help us! TYIA!
I think that you should wet the membrane a little to help the chick hatch a little faster (please only do this if the membrane is dry!)

Thank you! I hadn’t come across that first link and it is extremely helpful.

She can breathe just fine so I don’t want to rush it. She also made a little larger space with her beak and the other chicks that hatched keep hanging out next to her. I think waiting a few hours and reassessing won’t hurt.

Back
Top Bottom