at my wits end

Ducks are loud, they always will be, like everybody said, probably a predator, if you live in the suburbs i really recommend that you only get muscovys or another quiet breed ( although most mallard derived breeds are loud so pretty much only muscovys.)

I agree. I already said that same thing about the camera and a stake out. But I guess your just agreeing with me not acting like you came up with it.
smile.png
Um... okay

It could be just that it is starting to get daylight at that time and they're getting ready for a big day. My quail and chukars are always noisiest at first light.
I'm in Tassie and first light is around 4:00 I guess Sydney is about the same.

Is it possible they are hearing something/someone outside at that time? A neighbor that leaves for work really early? Dog-walkers going by? Not sure how likely that is, but it must be something that's happening at the same time every morning to disturb or excite them. One of my female ducks, for example, gets REALLY excited and quacks really loudly when she hears my husband's voice, even if she is locked inside the Duck House for the night and can't see him. Just a thought.

Possibly moving the duck house will make a difference and break whatever is causing this cycle? It would be such a shame to have to get rid of them for this reason. :/

Is it possible they are hearing something/someone outside at that time? A neighbor that leaves for work really early? Dog-walkers going by? Not sure how likely that is, but it must be something that's happening at the same time every morning to disturb or excite them. One of my female ducks, for example, gets REALLY excited and quacks really loudly when she hears my husband's voice, even if she is locked inside the Duck House for the night and can't see him. Just a thought.

Possibly moving the duck house will make a difference and break whatever is causing this cycle? It would be such a shame to have to get rid of them for this reason. :/
Yes I agree you can try moving the house first. If it doesn't work try camping out or video whats happening. If you can't find out the problem, you might have to rehome which is sad

Are they expecting to be fed? And complaining because they want food? Do you leave food and water out all night? How close are your neighbors? Do you think they actually can hear them or are they extra loud to you because you are closer? Pekins are pretty loud, I realize that, my girl was. In fact, most of my girls are.

I don't know what your set up is and what your ability or finances are, but can you soundproof the coop? Of course, you will still need some good ventilation, but maybe if it is not as open, that may muffle it.

Hope you don't have to give your girls away. Is this mating season where you are? Sometimes they are extra loud then. And it may go back to normal later.

Ok, that's all I got. Good luck!!!!

Hi, I'm agreeing with the idea that something is stressing them out. Some sort of predator is probably making his rounds at the same time each morning in his territory. Ducks are very sensitive to predators lurking and become very vocal. I use low wattage exterior LED lighting which seems to keep my ducks calmer.

4:30am this time of year is prime predator time. Coyotes live in almost every area of the country and you wouldn't notice them until something happens. Owls, skunks, possums, foxes and raccoon are also a strong possibility. I agree with setting up a cam, but I'm betting they're seeing or hearing something in the yard and not necessarily near the coop, so you would probably need to aim it at the entire yard.

At our lake, the coyotes are out hunting waterfowl at about this time. People come to feed them around dawn and sometimes the ducks gather to wait for them earlier than that and that's when the coyotes get them. In the winter, with the longer nights and fewer people around, the coyotes expand their range and hunt in areas that they tend to avoid in the summer.

Back
Top Bottom