At what age can you get Quail?

dfgkfghggfasd

Chirping
Mar 12, 2019
Somewhere
Aye, I've been looking to raise some Quail. However, having dealt with other animals before I know that many of the animals for sale are often far younger than they are supposed to be. Many times market as "minis" and such.

What age should I look for when buying Quail?

When buying quail, any age would be fine. Many quail would be sold after hatching, when they are 1-3 days old. If you want adult birds that are laying, make sure they are at least a few months old. In the poultry world, most breeders tend to be reliable and trustworthy, as they care about their birds. I can see the lying-about-the-age thing happening in pet animals, and in potbelly pigs, but there isn't much reason for poultry breeders to lie. Unlike mammals such as rabbits and cats, baby quail obviously don't need to be taken care of by their quail mom, so purchasing extremely young quail would be fine, assuming you know how to care for them. Happy Quail-buying! ;)

Ifnyoy get some you think are younger than they told you, put a lightbulb on one side so that if they still need heat they have the option. You'll be able to tell if they are needing it as they will stay closer to the heat. And whn fully feathered you can tell pretty easy they don't need more heat once fully feathered.
Id be more worried about someone selling you older than they say birds, as they might not lay for you, and the males are most fertile inder 2 years as well. Just read over some of thw wonderful quail articles herex they will help you with alot of your questions. Quail are definitely worth having though!

When you're shipping, do NOT buy quail chicks! Quail chicks will NOT survive shipping! They don't fare the same as other poultry. :hmm KC Farms recently experienced a massive loss from shipping quail chicks and James Marie Farms refuses to ship quail chicks for that very reason. Teen quail (3 or 4 weeks), adult quail (5 or 6 and up), and eggs, will be fine during shipping, tho. :D

Back
Top Bottom