at what age did your marans start laying??

yes lights are great usually start lights at 15 or so weeks i use 60 watt lightbulb in 8x8 coop i hang from ceiling 6 high so i dont hit my head. this usually helps any breed. today the high was 40 out
summer i use 40/ fall 60/ and winter 100 watt just regular bulbs believe it or not 100 watt throws good heat too for winter. i have seen it 15 or lower out and my water never freezes my coop is always at least 20 to 30 degreees warmer than outside. i like to crowd my chickens a little for warmeth in winter plus all the warm from poo i use deep litter . i use 17 hours light. year round. had some red sexlinks once laid stright for 2 years never molted till they slowed down then i sold. i think i should of kept them but was winter and wanted to make room for new. lol

AND YES GOT MY FIRST EGG FROM MY MARANS AT 3 PM HAD TO RUN OUT THERE THEY WERE CACKLEING LOL it was med large goodsize egg for first time egg

24 weeks exactly woot woot!!

i am going to be keeping egg chart to see how they compare to my barred rocks i use to have. my are from cackle hatchery we'll see how this winter goes!?

Last edited:
I have three Black Copper Marans, two, I believe have just started laying last week. The first one started at 5 months 3 days old. The weird weather is playing with them, so they took a break for 2 days, then started again today. First eggs a little lighter and smaller (medium sized), than I would like, but they came from a nice dark egg, so color should improve a bit. Some Marans don't lay their first egg until they are 10 months, so don't get discouraged!
smile.png
Here are my first 4 eggs. You will also find, once you get eggs, just how hard these are to photograph! In natural bright light, they looked two shades lighter, these look closer to the actual color, just a tad darker. Go talk to the girls and tell them what you want! They listen!!
lol.png

56168_11-28-10_bcm_eggs_010.jpg

Quote:
That's not too bad this is the worst time for getting eggs regular it seems to take my new layers a month to get it down and then it seems any little thing will slow down production and it was that way with my turkeys too mine that started in October are just now laying with regularity and some still only lay 4 times a week.

What is the best thing to feed Cuckoo Marans in order to get them to lay. I have a cockerel and two hens. They should be about 20 weeks+ now, but do not know exactly. I have put them in half a paddock to themselves where they can just wander and are obviously in at night. I am giving them laying pellets but no eggs. Can someone shed any light on anything I am not doing correctly please? Many thanks, T.

I was wondering about this. I brought home a FBCM last Sunday and no eggs yet. She was hatched back in August!

Could it be that she is adjusting to her new home? Maybe when she comes out of the isolation pen??

My FBCM Margaux FINALLY laid her first today at 7 MONTHS! She hatched back in August '13... Here's the long awaited egg:

Wahoo!!! My basket is getting colorful!
wee.gif

My 3 pullet Marans that I hatched 3/10/14 from Eggs that came from "The Garry Farm" here in TN. The first egg 8/29/14 was very small but all 3 girls have been layi
ng andthe eggs are getting larger very QUICKLY. I got three today so I know all three are working hard.

This pic below is the one from today 10/10/14, the ones with them are from 1st timer faverolle and ameraucana.
They are such nice calm girls and get along with everyone. I just wish I had more of them.

Back
Top Bottom