at what age did your marans start laying??

My 2 BCM both started laying today, at 25 weeks. I have heard of them taking longer, especially as winter begins to approach and light decreases with colder temps.

I only have 1 black Copper Marans that hatched May 2 of this year (12 weeks) but she is in with 7 other hens that are currently laying and I am feeding layer feed to all? I hate to wait to just feed starter/grower when it's just her? Thoughts?

It's not advisable to feed layer to pullets younger than 16 weeks. All that extra calcium can damage their organs.
I use all flock and oyster shells. Sometimes (when I have ALL laying hens and a rooster or two) I'll buy layer feed.

Well, I hatched out my BCM's the first part of April and no eggs to date. But, I have to say for them, that they have gone through poultry pox and the fall molt since. And, as I have read, those both turn off egg production. But, my Buffs have finally started to lay, so I can only hope that the BCM's will kick in soon.

Last edited:
Well, I hatched out my BCM's the first part of April and no eggs to date. But, I have to say for them, that they have gone through pultry pox and the fall molt since. And, as I have read, those both turn off egg production. But, my Buffs have finally started to lay, so I can only hope that the BCM's will kick in soon.

my BCM pullet is the same age and still no eggs. my flock is coming out of the fowl pox but my BCM and araucana don't have any sign of it. are they still affected by it?

I would have to say yes. I have Americanas and they showed no signs, but shut down on egg production, just like everyone else. Thing is that they have not started back up, so I am concerned about becoming sterile. But, them going into the molt, just after the pox was a "one, two punch", but now I have winter, cold, and light period issues to deal with.

Last edited:
I would have to say yes. I have Americanas and they showed no signs, but shut down on egg production, just like everyone else. Thing is that they have not started back up, so I am concerned about becoming sterile. But, them going into the molt, just after the pox was a "one, two punch", but now I have winter, cold, and light period issues to deal with.

they will not become sterile because of pox. a few of mine started to lay again. my problem is that all of them did not get pox at the same time. I still have a few non affected by pox and hope they will not. it has been for about 2 months now. I have been getting 1-5 eggs daily (out of 8-9 laying hens). some of them are molting. but the young ones did not start, and 1 that started stopped. only my 5-6 mo NN pullet lays almost every day.

My BCM pullet laid her first egg today,she was hatched on may 1st,,six months and 3 days old for first egg,the marans seem to take a bit longer,at least that is what i have read on here.I hatched out 4 under a broody hen i had,got 3 roosters and 1 hen,kept 1 rooster,gave the other 2 away to good homes?,pressure is going to be on her to produce some new chicks,had to buy the eggs from a hatcher to get them,hoping to have my own this time?.They are very good to keep,very tame and not agressive at all. Harvey

Back
Top Bottom