At what age do Black Australorps begin to lay their first eggs???

Pics
Mine are ~ 23 weeks I am beginning to despair that I won't be getting any eggs till spring. Two of them have bright full combs and waddles

Mine are ~ 23 weeks I am beginning to despair that I won't be getting any eggs till spring. Two of them have bright full combs and waddles
Hubby was saying we might need to do a light so they will lay this year but I wouldn't want to do that all winter since I know they NEED a break from laying and they'd go right on laying in the spring to.

Don't feel like the lone Ranger we have three just like that, one started laying at about 24 weeks, The other two are around 35 weeks and still no eggs. They are the best looking chickens we have but I am starting to think we may be having chicken for Christmas this year. :)

Don't feel like the lone Ranger we have three just like that, one started laying at about 24 weeks, The other two are around 35 weeks and still no eggs. They are the best looking chickens we have but I am starting to think we may be having chicken for Christmas this year. :)
LOL no I wouldn't do that because I bet when they do start laying you'll be mega glad you didn't eat them.

You should notice that when they squat for you they are more friendly and less stand offish. You will notice that their wattles and comb will jump out and redden almost overnight...you can tell in the pic what pullet is laying...mine like to Peck the camera

You should notice that when they squat for you they are more friendly and less stand offish. You will notice that their wattles and comb will jump out and redden almost overnight...you can tell in the pic what pullet is laying...mine like to Peck the camera
I noticed tonight when I had to pick some of them up to treat their feet and legs (treating their legs with castor oil to make sure they keep off the lice or mites whichever it is that they get on their legs. I get them confused.) Anyway they used to squeal like I was killing them ......but tonight they didn't do that. I was a little shocked to say the least. I still have one that will not come through the door to get back inside if I am standing in the door. One day I hope these things get used to me.
hmm.png

They should...get you a stool and sit with them...watch them swarm at your feet...try some treats by hand once they have calmed down

My Black Australorp, Betty, is 27 weeks now, and I haven't seen an egg from her either, or any of her girlfriends. Do you guys think it is possible that the carpenter cloth on the top triangle of our coop lets in too much light? Maybe they don't feel secure enough in there to lay?

My Black Australorp, Betty, is 27 weeks now, and I haven't seen an egg from her either, or any of her girlfriends. Do you guys think it is possible that the carpenter cloth on the top triangle of our coop lets in too much light? Maybe they don't feel secure enough in there to lay?

I wouldn't think so about the canopy because they NEED light to lay. In fact last night I kept their light on until 10 and turned it off. Not going to do this every night though just for a little while to let the ones that's JUST started laying lay a few. Today we didn't get but two eggs and one of those had a soft shell. :( Some how it got a tear in it don't know if it happened when she was trying to get out of the nest or what. I'm just GLAD I found it and they didn't get a taste of it. Anyway the light.....going to try it and see IF the Aussies start laying. Just turning it on for them to get on the roost from free ranging and leaving it on until 10. I know they need a break from laying but these just started so I don't think it would hurt anything for a short while. I don't want them laying from now on until summer time. lol They're little bodies need a rest.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom