still not laying eggs

Maybe try keeping them in the little coop with nesting boxes for a few extra hours before they go out to all the toys. This could make them think about eggs rather than playing.
thank you for the tips ive attached a photo of there coop and with run ide hate to close them in there coop for to long but maybe they need to stay in there run for a couple days
(dont mind the horrible plastic job for winter shower curtins not the best idea lol)😆

Attachments

• IMG_5787.jpeg
    IMG_5787.jpeg
    544.6 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_6305.png
    IMG_6305.png
    5.2 MB · Views: 3
thank you for the tips ive attached a photo of there coop and with run ide hate to close them in there coop for to long but maybe they need to stay in there run for a couple days
Yes you can just lock them in the coop and run (basically no free ranging) for a couple of days. They don't specifically need to be locked in the coop itself.

I would suspect, according to your time frame 600am-730pm they are getting plenty of light unless they are coming off their winter break from laying.
What is your general location?
And what are you feeding them?
When was their last molt?
When did they stop laying?

They really do look happy and healthy. Hope they start up for you soon.

This is 'Lady' my last remaining of my very first chickens of 4 Isa Browns.🙂
IMG_20240316_181537.jpg

Last edited:
I would suspect, according to your time frame 600am-730pm they are getting plenty of light unless they are coming off their winter break from laying.
What is your general location?
And what are you feeding them?
When was their last molt?
When did they stop laying?

They really do look happy and healthy. Hope they start up for you soon.

This is 'Lady' my last remaining of my very first chickens of 4 Isa Browns.🙂
View attachment 3798074
shes so cute im in knoxville tennessee, im feeding them purina layer crumbles they love that brand and has to be crumble and i mix in hen house resrerve feed so they have planty of protein and nutrients and give them clean water every other day i also give them wet feed every couple of days so i can add in some herbs for better health one of my girls cher my big mama did most of the molting in december the other girls only a little
they stopped producing eggs like in october which was weird i think i have them to much shade protection thats around the time they stopped your girl lady looks just like my little girl diana diana is upsest with my husband lol

I've tried the Hen House Reserve and found that my birds were picking out all the goodies and leaving the rest. Where as layer feed is all inclusive. I would watch how much your adding to make sure they are eating the layer feed.. just a thought.
Another is Oyster shell on the side?
Isa Browns are a production layer and sometimes need more calcium.

Hopefully they are just still on break and it's just a wait game and you'll get eggs soon. 🙂

Yes you can just lock them in the coop and run (basically no free ranging) for a couple of days. They don't specifically need to be locked in the coop itself.
Well, this is what I meant when I said lock them in. I agree there's plenty of space. I thought about specifying.. but figured it would be obvious.. I guess nothing is for real. :confused:

one of my girls cher my big mama did most of the molting in december the other girls only a little
they stopped producing eggs like in october which was weird
For some reason.. I was under the impression they had never laid eggs.. not they were laying then molted and still haven't returned to lay. Of course, I SHOULD have asked! :oops:

Under natural lighting conditions (with coop windows facing north, in the PNW at the Cal/Or border) my older birds also starting molting in October.. And returned to lay by early Feb.. except the GSL who is still laying since December of the prior year (2022). I feed 20% protein full time with OS on the side.. Used to be Purina flock raiser but this past year my personal resources dictated going with Dumor pricing.

This is all just sharing.. I don't actually think it's your lighting.. But I do know time of year they hatch AND genetics.. can effect everything.. meaning no 2 may be the same.. they certainly are NOT in my flock or experience, even under the exact same conditions as flock mates.. even of the same breed.

Hope you find your eggs soon! :wee

ETA: you can always do a vent check, see following link for description..

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/who-is-laying-and-who-is-not-butt-check.73309/

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom