At what age should chickens start laying eggs?

The first few eggs are usually a little soft, so curiosity will get the better of them and they'll have a peck at it. Problem is some hens find the habit a hard one to break. I find that a golf ball in the nest box usually discourages them. ( they give up when they get a sore beak).

My hens are pooping in their nest boxes. Any advice on how to stop them from doing this?? I have plenty of roosts & my coop is large for the 14 hens I have. They are about ready to start laying & I'm worried about all the poop in the boxes. Thanks

Sounds like they are sleeping in the nest boxes and not on the roost at night? if this is the case just put a couple of bricks in the nest boxes over night and this should deter them from roosting in them, remove the bricks in the morning so they can go in to lay should they wish.

an ice cream bucket is good to water my 14 chicks? thanks for any info...they will not drown or anything? i give them acv in their water and nned a plastic container to do so

Thanks. I did put a large stone in the nest boxes. My hens aren't old enough to start laying yet, but I didn't want them to get in the habit of pooping & laying in the same place. I'm just learning all this & I'm having fun. Also, I had bought a barred rock chick as a hen & Suzy ended up being a Stanley. Does anyone know where I can purchase older pullets??

Hi. Thanks for some feedback.

I live 45 mins NW of Phoenix so its hotttttt out here. 100+ the past few wks.

I have a Frizzle and a muted brown/flat feathered. 2 others are boys, and 1 Frizzles I still can't tell.

My girls are 10wks tomorrow.

They loveeee to play in their water bowls and flip them over.
So I'm looking for other options to water them.
Check out using water nipples. I have a large barrel with 8 ft og PVC and 8 nipples installed for my 15 chickens. I also keep a 5 gallon bucket hanging in the coop with 4 nipples. See some pics on my profile. I don't have pic of the bucket yet.

They loveeee to play in their water bowls and flip them over.
So I'm looking for other options to water them.
Check out using water nipples. I have a large barrel with 8 ft og PVC and 8 nipples installed for my 15 chickens. I also keep a 5 gallon bucket hanging in the coop with 4 nipples. See some pics on my profile. I don't have pic of the bucket yet.

Our chicken run is large but muddy. I want to plant some grass seed or something to help with the mud. It's like monsoon season in Atlanta now. I have lots of shade too. Any suggestions???

I will look at getting some sand in the run. I have planted all around for the girls to reach through the fence, I was wondering if anyone had a suggestion about grass to plant that is not coated with chemicals, or anything else that might work. Thanks flowerfaeiry
1f414.png

Back
Top Bottom