At what age should chickens start laying eggs?

Hi - Different breeds mature at different times. Generally between 20-24 weeks for several breeds. Some like new hampsire red can even start at 16 weeks, whereas your EE's are between 24-28 weeks and Polish can be even later. Also depending on where you live the seasons can play a part. I live in CA so I don't have much of an issue but in colder places some will hold off till spring.

Hope that helps alittle.

I started using an ice cream bucket (like a gallon I think) at about that age for that reason. It holds enough water that it's too heavy to flip over. I have been keeping a gatorade bottle of ice in it too to keep it cold in this weather!

Roughly between 16-24 weeks, but the average is 20 weeks. I am about to put mine on layer feed at 16 weeks. The feed store where I got my chicks said that this is the ideal time to put them on layer.

you did not mention how old your chickens were. so here is the answer :) they lay when there ready, some at 17 weeks, some at 22 weeks, some even later. it depends on the chicken the bird and the heat etc. so when your girls are ready they will let you know with hints...bright red waddles and combs , the egg stance ( she will lower her self when you come near her or pet her ( like a rooster who mounts a chicken. she is being sub servant.
some like EE'S do not lay until later, or Marans. sex links and RIR's do some times lay at 17 to 20 weeks. like i said there are hints and there are brreds, its a crap shoot lol
Laying feed should be given around 17/20 weeks I believe.

I started putting sand in the run, they like it and the sand keeps their feet clean. I planted all around the run with peas, beans, marigolds and other flowers so that the can eat them through the fencing. It's well trimmed on the inside and attractive on the outside, also helps shade the run.

Our chicken run is large but muddy. I want to plant some grass seed or something to help with the mud. It's like monsoon season in Atlanta now. I have lots of shade too. Any suggestions???
I am not sure about how to keep the chickens from scratching and pecking/eating it, but I got a bag from Wal-Mart for $20. It said grows in all places. I put down some extra soil to cover the seed and then loose hay sprinkled over that. Mine came up pretty quickly and I didn't have a problem.

Back
Top Bottom