Attaching Plastic/Tarps to a Run - Show me your methods!

I laid out my tarps for side curtains by attaching the tarps to 1x2 strips on the top and bottom. Then I attached the top strip to the coop with screws. i can roll up the “curtains” and hold the roll with chain on both ends. Attached is a photo with curtains up. The curtains are the green rolls on the side of the coop

Attachments

• IMG_0025.jpeg
    IMG_0025.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 19
Mostly grommets and zip ties for me. The tarps I've used as a "roof" had holes at the edges already, and my run is large metal bars, so I just zip tie to that and try to tighten to minimize flapping about. It still flaps some but the chickens got used to it.

I have one small under-coop area that I protect from rain and snow with 18"x24" clear acrylic panels using hanger bolts and wingnuts. It stays protected for all but the hottest parts of summer so drilling the acrlic and installing the hanger bolts was worthwhile, but it's tedious, expensive, and the acrylic cracks easily so I haven't done that for anything bigger. I also now have a roo with too many brains and too much time on his hands; he's learned how to undo the wingnuts when he's out. 😒

For the deep cold of winter requiring extra windbreaks on larger areas, I use ribbed floor protector rolls for the ground-level up to 30" since it withstands curious chicken beaks (at the expense of not really being transparent; it's translucent but foggy). I use clear shower curtains above that. For both materials I use a grommet punch to make the connections less likely to tear up the material. I zip tie the wind breaks onto thick structures when possible, but that really only works in few places for me; in most cases I just make the grommets closer spaced and zip tie it onto the hardware cloth, usually trying to span a few squares of it to spread the strain a little. I leave an uncovered gap around the top to provide ventillation.

Last year, I tried using reusable zip ties on the windbreaks so I could take them on and off as needed seasonally without wasting plastic. Unfortunately, I haven't found a reusable plastic zip tie that can withstand the winters here. Those that didn't break mid-winter had the mechanism snap during removal in the spring. Happened to every single one no matter how careful I was. I also had a handful of supposedly reusable metals ones and those had the opposite problem and wouldn't release, so I had to cut them anyway. So, this year I gave up and am using the regular ones for everything even though I'll have to cut them all come spring. I'm looking for better solutions that also don't involve a bajillion hanger bolts sticking out of my wooden structures.

Currently in the process of putting my wind breaks up; will try to remember to get a photo of it once it's all on. Here's an example of the first panel I've put up on my new large run. Forgive the wood panels on the other side - just haven't gotten around to getting the floor protector for that side cut to length and grommeted yet.
IMG_20231110_125618s.jpg

I like clear plastic - chickens can see out and get maximum light in the winter, and I can see in!

This is our third winter with chickens, and I invested in 30 mil marine vinyl tarps for most of the run this year. I thought about doing marine vinyl roll by the yard and putting in my own grommets, but the tarps are soooo much easier and about the same cost.

Also

Reusable zip ties are the BEST! I hammer cable staples where I need them and zip tie adjust the tarps where I need them! One nice thing, too, is that as the temps change and the tarps expand/contract, I can adjust the zip ties as needed. I haven't gone through a winter with them, yet, so we'll see how they hold up. They're cheap enough that even if I get a season's use out of most/some of them, they'll be worth it.

1700109956706.png

Another plus to the reusable zip ties and tarps is that I can fold the tarps up or down in changeable weather for extra ventilation/airing out of the run. I attach the top grommets back to the run high enough so that the vinyl doesn't crease in the cold. Growing up we had a boat with marine vinyl, and one rule was to never fold it - always roll it, lol. Keeps it from cracking.

1700110163048.png

I can go one grommet row or two down, depending on how warm it is. My cable staples are all there and I have a reusable zip tie in each one, so raising and lowering the tarps is super quick and easy.

1700111368125.png

I will probably add a few grommets in the gaps (see left side of pic) next year for the really cold, windy, snowy depths of winter, but overall, I'm very happy with this setup.

Just a side note - as I need to replace tarps (which shouldn't be for several years), I'll probably go with the 4x6 tarps. They're just easier to handle and store overall, and ventilation can be a bit more fine-tuned.

Added plus - I can do all the winterizing without my husband's help and on my schedule 😉.

The tarps came from here (various sizes and also 10 and 20 mil available): https://thetarpswholesaler.com/6-x-8-heavy-duty-30-mil-clear-pvc-vinyl-tarp-mp-906

The reusable zip ties came from here: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078P7KRM4?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Cable staples came from here: Gardner Bender 1/2 in. Metal Cable Staples, 50-Pack

Finally got my half floor-runner half shower curtain coverage back onto my original, smaller setup housing my bachelor flock. You can't see it but the floor runner is in perfect shape even if dirty after having been on there year-round and subjected to a lot of pecking, although the shower curtain on the back where the chair is got some extra ventillation pecked in it last winter lol.
IMG_20231121_124448s.jpg

I haven't gone through a winter with them, yet, so we'll see how they hold up. They're cheap enough that even if I get a season's use out of most/some of them, they'll be worth it.
It was a wave of -20F after a few weeks of ice and thaw that did my reusable ties in I think. Next bunch of wind to come through after that started snapping them. They're exposed to sun in the summer (which of course is bad for a lot of plastics) and then all the cold nastiness in the winter. Yours look to be protected by a good overhang so I bet they'll fare better than mine!

The tarps came from here (various sizes and also 10 and 20 mil available): https://thetarpswholesaler.com/6-x-8-heavy-duty-30-mil-clear-pvc-vinyl-tarp-mp-906
Those tarps look really nice! I've only ever seen "clear" ones that still have a grid of opaque fibers spaced around but these look properly transparent.

Back
Top Bottom