Attaching Polycarbonate roof to cattle panel?

You know, speaking of "cutting off a strip of wavy poly" [ TY AOrchard], I suppose you could use that section like a wavy closure strip by translating it sideways and actually sandwich the cattle panel wire between the roof panel and the cutoff section/strip below. Then bond the two pieces of poly, encapsulating a bit of the cattle panel between cut off strip and the full panel above.

These are wild ideas, but it doesn't hurt to think of them. I think the wooden closure strip below, attached to the cattle panel by either wire ties or U-staples and then screw the roof panels in like normal - into those wooden closure strips.

Am I missing anything?

For example, could you cut off a one foot section of wavy polycarb, and attach that underneath the cattle panel below where you puncture the roofing panel? Use that one foot section kind of as like a gutter, so any water that comes through is drained away (or drained into a waterer for the animals, if more creative).

TY Tonyroo -- I know we've used some construction adhesives like liquid nails that have a quicker grab time. I think we'd really like this to be disassembleable, as this is our first coop, we may want to change it or move it. Thinking to avoid glues. Might caulk something. STay tuned.

I had responded to this earlier and realize now what your problem is. Around here, cattle panels are set up to guide cattle into squeeze chutes. They are not wire but siliqr to steel gates.

Last edited:
I had responded to this earlier and realize now what your problem is. Around here, cattle panels are set up to guide cattle into squeeze chutes. They are not wire but siliqr to steel gates.
I think you mean cattle gates? Maybe there's another product. I've never kept large livestock so I know there are materials out there...

This is what I mean:
https://www.ruralking.com/catalog/product/view/id/30342
The panels are 4 gauge wire, and 16ft long by 50" wide. Two of them, the 50" direction, span my 92" wide coop, and in the other direction we'll cut them to length leaving some overhang front and back.

Attachments

• Heavy-Duty-Cattle-Panel-1-1024x640-3692558083.jpg
    Heavy-Duty-Cattle-Panel-1-1024x640-3692558083.jpg
    239.1 KB · Views: 13
I went AWOL a few days - not ignoring posts and I really appreciate the help.

We've got rafters in. (Photos attached.)

I'm only putting three rafters across 92", building with stuff on hand so far, and 3 is what I have. The cattle panels applied to the top should provide enough stiffness; if not we'll beef it up between rafters. Front/sides above we'll have frames with hardware cloth. Battens to cover gaps. The door is ready to go in, need bolts for hinges. Found an old metal desk with a hinged flat panel door to be the chicken door -- where that gap of a couple of fence boards is.

I'd been debating the cheap galvanized metal vs poly wavy panels down to the wire. I've managed to locate a deal this morning on the type of painted metal 29g roofing panels that are 3ft wide, in 10ft lengths, $10 a panel. (photo attached.)

Three of these should cover the two cattle panels; leaves 3.5ft for overhangs front and back. Might add a lean-to at the back for supplies, as this metal is cheap. And we could collect water off yet another roof, maybe set up a chicken waterer. (We use IBC totes for water collection.)

We are thinking we'll cut some pallet wood and lay them perpendicular to the rafters, inset, in plane with the top of the rafters. That would provide something to screw into. (Not on top like purlins which would mean more gaps to protect with hardware cloth).

But there's not going to be any climbing on this roof, supported by a cattle panel. So we'd have to attach cattle panel to underside of the roof while still on the ground. Hmm.

Attachments

• Marketplace - Roofing metal tin Facebook.jpg
    Marketplace - Roofing metal tin Facebook.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20230312_084957611.jpg
    IMG_20230312_084957611.jpg
    1,000.2 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20230312_085038861.jpg
    IMG_20230312_085038861.jpg
    983.9 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20230312_085204664.jpg
    IMG_20230312_085204664.jpg
    785.8 KB · Views: 11
Dang, with all that hardware, you must be getting Fred Flintstone brontosaurus chickens.
Haha... my better half jokes about having our own dinosaurs now. We're all surprisingly fond of these chickens.

But not sure why you're saying "all that hardware" -- the only hardware we've bought is new corner brackets, 3 per corner. We are even reusing rusty nails, lol.

We're attaching the four fence panels at corners and to the floor with brackets so we can disassemble the sections and move this to the new location. (We might move soon. )

I am about to buy six Simpson Strong ties - hurricane ties -- though, to beef up rafter to wall against wind. And the roof screws or nails -- that's going to hurt.

Point is to unscrew and load flat panels up into the truck and transport elsewhere, reassemble.) That's one of the reasons I'm using cattle panels under the roof panels instead of building a proper roof -- light weight. And I already have them, bought them much cheaper than current costs. (A year ago they were $18.99, seriously -- now they're $32? Something like that. Ouch.)

Back
Top Bottom