Attention Lawyers or Legal advisers UPDATE on #23

When money is owed to a county, it has a 'value' at that time. The longer it goes, the less it is worth; even down to nothing -0-. Different states have laws on how fines and fees can be collected. If your county has contracted with this collection agency, they probably 'sold' your debt for a fraction of the original amount. That should be on file somewhere still if the debt was sold recently. I'd want to know what they sold your debt for. You should be able to call the clerk's office to find out. Once you know that, I'd try to negotiate the amount down with the collection agency. It couldn't hurt.

^x2

And, if they've already gotten their money, ala selling their debt, then how can they later 'flag' your info saying they didn't?

Seems like it should be Sold or Not, City or Not... not able to be bounced back and forth with PEOPLE hanging in the balance.

Did they show you WHERE in the law it says that they can flag your license for a debt owed to a private company... one that hasn't been taken to CIVIL court... being now a money matter... ? This has me kinda lost.

The collection letter said if we do not pay or call to make payments, they MAY flag his driver's license as a non payer and may suspend his license.

I didn't see how it could be justified but the county clerk said he needs to deal with the collection agency. That is all she knows. They were "cleaning" out files and for those citizens who were late or non pay they would be sent to collection agency. Why out of state, I do not know. And if they were sold that long ago, why did they bother in not researching where he is at????? Seems like to me they are unable to access his files of his whereabouts.

I just don't see how a collection agency could have such powers even out of state to tell the county to flag them.

We never had any problems with the state or out of state for that matter.

I never got a response from that guy yet today. If he does not respond, then I am going to wonder what the heck the company is doing??? Makes me wanna ask why are you guys having such a HARD time finding him when he is out exposing his address on check books, bank books, etc. and got nothing to hide. Even the banks too!

Hello,
I was wondering whatever happened with this? I just received a letter from SC Services & Associates for a speeding ticket from Clarendon County Magistrate Court, SC. I live in PA. I did get a speeding ticket over ten years ago in South Carolina, which I paid. I'm not sure what to do next, other than call the Courthouse tomorrow and see if they have any record of an unpaid ticket. I will also have to look for a canceled check, but I don't have any idea of the date of the speeding ticket.
I don't want to mess up my credit, which I have been working to improve.
Thanks in advance for any advice!

Hubby has to pay it....no problem. They are in a FAST hurry to get their money and we do not have the money right now because of looming lay offs may be happening in his company. We kept getting notices in the mail and we have not yet gotten any further. Our van license is ready to be renewed and we will find out if they did have a "block" on it. If they did, we are screwed. They said in the letter that his license may be suspended or on "hold" until those fines are paid. They will not accept payments but only half pay now and rest of the amount in a month. No way we would pay that much in a short time.

It's a good idea to call the courthouse and find out if the company is legit.

I hate those kind of collection agencies that are out of state. Some are legit and some are not. It has not affect hubby's credit at all when he got two loans from the bank. Somehow it just don't make sense but the county courthouse that he got his tickets owed on, said he can pay them the fines but have to deal with the collection fees with the collection agency themselves. Hubby wants to pay the actual fines thru the courthouse and to H*** with the collection fees owed.
hmm.png

I am STILL supecious about this company because they didn't respond back.

Last edited:
^ Link doesn't work anymore ^

Anything more on this topic?

I just got a letter from the same company, regarding a ticket I received 8 years ago in while driving through Illinois. Everything was taken care of, not sure why I am getting this now and it is the first I have heard of it since I took care of the ticket.

Also, I went to the website, entered my case number, and there is another individual in Baltimore with the same exact case number as me. This is all very suspect and strange.

Can I just call the courthouse to clear this up?

Is there any action I can take against this collection agency?

Last edited:
Wow this is very alarming to me and if I were you I would be a little panicky but I wouldn't pay a darn cent. For now. Sounds like someone got ahold of some info and are trying to conjure up some moola. The more I think about it the more it makes me mad. Hope you all get the answers you need and find out whats going on.
somad.gif

Thanks.

I actually took the ticket to trial and won 8 years ago. The case was dismissed. I have been looking for a copy of the judgement but no luck, I think it was lost when I moved.

Regardless, I'm not paying a ticket that I fought and won in court, especially not to some strange collection agency out of Florida. I will call the courthouse this week to find out more and give an update on here.

I don't mind putting in time and some money into this, I want to know if there is any legal action I can take.

...yes, I am ticked off.

SC Services was acquired by Pioneer: http://www.insidearm.com/daily/debt...izing-in-local-government-and-court-services/

There are so many scams involving collections that it is hard to know. Call the County in which the ticket was issued. Ask for a copy. Inquire as to what collection agency they use (if county has a website you can probably drill down to find out who knows the answer). If they are not using the collection agency from which the `invoice' originated call your State Attorney General's Consumer Affairs Division. Here in Missouri they're spending a lot less time chasing down the hot tar gypsies and more time going after both telephone collection scammers and `legitimate' businesses looking to make an extra buck by hiring some out of work geeks to to set up websites to contact when the customers go online and check the site after receiving remailed OLD bills (what if 90% complain? 10% will pay nyuck, nyuck, nyuck), the 10% who pay or sign-in at the website are now new data points (with live ph. #, email addresses and whatever other information that was harvested for resale to other scammers (always pay top dollar for lists of marks that have already paid once).

Weapons of choice in these disputes? NO phone contact only snail mail (send all inquiries return receipt requested - at least!). Record the conv. if you just have to talk (that way you can transcribe it later - erase the tape (depending on your state law) - and sign and date transcription (`memorialized).
Always hold your ground and demand further documentation, if they get hinky because you're rude and offer to reduce the amount you'll know for sure they're a rip-off shop. If on the phone ALWAYS ESCALATE and get the Supervisor's name (if legit they get somewhat polite).

Until proven absolutely otherwise (in triplicate, signed in blood) it remains your money they're trying to take.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom