ATTN: Yokohama Lovers!

How many NN's does your son have? Is there any going back hahah.
How come you know about Yoko's then? Have you previously owned them?
LOL he has four! He begged me for two or three years for them and I caved in. I know about Yokos because I've been a chicken freak for 22 years of my life. I had a small start of Yokos over a decade and a half ago. They were weak, inbred, with crooked keels among other many deformities. The hatch rate was terrible, the females hardly laid, and they were not hardy in the least. It was very sad.

Quote:
Oh ok so he is very attached to them then
smile.png
. But why NN's if I may ask?
sad.png
That is horrible. Poor birds. How come you purchased them is they were in such a bad way then?

I think he likes their bald necks and thinks they look like little turkeys. He likes turkeys.
smile.png

To answer your question, I was a kid in 4-H and I really had no idea that they were that bad off. I didn't know what I was getting into. It was a hard lesson to learn. Yokohamas were SO difficult to find and I thought that they were the most beautiful birds I had ever seen. The red shouldered color is a sight to behold. I loved them more than my cubalayas and sumatras. I just knew that Yokos were the ones for me. I absolutely had to have them. It took me three or so years to locate a breeder. I remember I had saved money from doing yard work and cleaning house for the neighbors and from a few winnings in poultry shows. I sold some of my best birds to buy the Yokos. I didn't understand why they weren't as popular as I thought that they should have been. I had big plans to save the integrity of the Yokos and dedicate my time into helping and promoting the breed. At any rate, after such a huge disappointment and not knowing where I could possibly obtain more, I set my big dreams to the side for a couple of years. Then I found a hatchery that carried whites and red shouldered. I frowned upon hatchery birds but I had to have my Yokos. I ordered 40 chicks: silver duckwings, whites, and red shouldered. They were pretty expensive for me at that time. I raised them up until they were 4 months old. Then, in the care of a family member, two dogs came through and wiped them all out in one night.

I think he likes their bald necks and thinks they look like little turkeys. He likes turkeys.
smile.png

To answer your question, I was a kid in 4-H and I really had no idea that they were that bad off. I didn't know what I was getting into. It was a hard lesson to learn. Yokohamas were SO difficult to find and I thought that they were the most beautiful birds I had ever seen. The red shouldered color is a sight to behold. I loved them more than my cubalayas and sumatras. I just knew that Yokos were the ones for me. I absolutely had to have them. It took me three or so years to locate a breeder. I remember I had saved money from doing yard work and cleaning house for the neighbors and from a few winnings in poultry shows. I sold some of my best birds to buy the Yokos. I didn't understand why they weren't as popular as I thought that they should have been. I had big plans to save the integrity of the Yokos and dedicate my time into helping and promoting the breed. At any rate, after such a huge disappointment and not knowing where I could possibly obtain more, I set my big dreams to the side for a couple of years. Then I found a hatchery that carried whites and red shouldered. I frowned upon hatchery birds but I had to have my Yokos. I ordered 40 chicks: silver duckwings, whites, and red shouldered. They were pretty expensive for me at that time. I raised them up until they were 4 months old. Then, in the care of a family member, two dogs came through and wiped them all out in one night.

hit.gif
You have had a terrible time with Yoko's. All that time and money ( at the time ).
I wish we had Sumatra over here. I would snap them up immediately.
I have seen some people hatchery Yoko's ( US ) and they don't look all that wonderful, they are healthy and all but they are just real bad quality.
Well it sounds like there is less enthusiasm in the US than there is over here. I have joined a FB group and there are quite a lot of people with Yokohama.

I have! But I don't love them any less.
big_smile.png
It just taught me to be very cautious about the birds that I buy. And yes, the best quality comes from dedicated breeders who breed the birds for quality instead of quantity. Maybe someday I will order some eggs or started yokos and pretend to be surprised when they show up at my house. "Oh look, honey! What a surprise!"
lau.gif

I have! But I don't love them any less.
big_smile.png
It just taught me to be very cautious about the birds that I buy. And yes, the best quality comes from dedicated breeders who breed the birds for quality instead of quantity. Maybe someday I will order some eggs or started yokos and pretend to be surprised when they show up at my house. "Oh look, honey! What a surprise!"
lau.gif

hahahah, that sounds like a marvelous idea.
Or, for every Brahma he buys, you get a Yokohama
lol.png

Yes they are giants for sure! I'm glad that there are seramas there - they are so sweet! Black tailed white ones are boring.
tongue.png
I'm in the process of selling some of my birds to make room. Maybe I'll be allowed to have some Yokos then!

Yes they are giants for sure! I'm glad that there are seramas there - they are so sweet! Black tailed white ones are boring.
tongue.png
I'm in the process of selling some of my birds to make room. Maybe I'll be allowed to have some Yokos then!

Over here our Brahma are never get to US or UK sizes, same with our Orps.
I like the BTW's, especially if they are well looked after and the white is very clean.
fl.gif
Be able to get some Yoko's, hahaha. Do you have a breeder in mind or will the big search have to start again?

Can you tell me, for the title of this thread, what does the ATTN stand for?

Back
Top Bottom