ATTN: Yokohama Lovers!

So your going to buy a ranch and live a full ( or almost full ) self sufficient life?

I hope so. Have a few acres of hay, wheat, barley, hay. Another few patches of veggies. A draft nag and a mustang riding horse. And three sheep (a ram and two girls). I only want to use electricity for my comp, fridge, and chest freezer. Past that, I am going basically Amish. I want to live in or near a Plain community so life w/o a car is easier. I have years of research ahead of me in terms of how much of what I need to grow for each animal on my farm to last through winter (myself included)!

Also, I hope that once I am established enough I can hire ex-cons to work for me. Give them a place to work and get recommendations so they can go on to get a better job.

Quote:
Sounds awesome!!!
But sometimes experience is the best knowledge. Especially in Agriculture, there are so many variables that can apply to your situation.
I wish you the best of luck in your research and then your life
big_smile.png
. Who knows, our paths could cross one day.lol.

Sounds awesome!!!
But sometimes experience is the best knowledge. Especially in Agriculture, there are so many variables that can apply to your situation.
I wish you the best of luck in your research and then your life
big_smile.png
. Who knows, our paths could cross one day.lol.

Thanks! Yea, I know that it is essential. Hence the two years of interning. Also, chickens, thankfully, will not make or break me to figure out. I can afford to research the crap out of it then bumble through it. Horses, sheep, people, crops? I can't afford to only know about them academically. And maybe they will. I am looking nationwide for my farm.

My criteria are as follows: near a Plain community, between 15-35 acres (bonus if there is an option to buy more land at a later date), and not on a border state.

Bonuses are: within ~15 miles of a farm supply store, some sort of water source on the property, a preexisting house and/or barn, and (and a MAJOR bonus) a neighbor who raises hay. Because then I can negotiate to lease my land to grow hay and get like a 40:60 split of the crop for my horses.

I have a few other criteria, but those are the biggies.

I may have been thinking about this for a while.

Thanks, the Pea Comb is Aus and I think Germany too if what I have been reading is right, does anyone know UK or Canada?... so that helps, still don't know why birds that have Straight Combs are being called Yok. they look like Phoenix to me. Maybe someone is cross breeding and then selling the offspring as Yok? I think Walnut might be USA only? I am thinking Walnut and Pea then appears to be Yok traits.

I am thinking now the Yokohama probably started out with allot of Minohiki foundation blood, there seems to be different types and the Japanese don't mean colour, I found that interesting.

I will post some photos of Minohiki from Japan.

This is long but the birds are to drool for
droolin.gif
and I am currious as to how like or unlike you all think this breed is vs the Yokohama, of course feather colours are different and Comb may be different depending on SOP of your country... I did my best to figure out the blog/article:

Minohiki Exhibition Japan from 2013

Board of Education Superintendent Award

"orangutan species" = Orange? or Red?, It seems from the translation this is a 3 coloured bird. There was also something about a "crest" which I think should have been translated as comb being slightly larger possably in this type...

Interesting thing about the breed is it is suppose to have "darker blood" but that trait is disappearing because it is hard to maintain. (I do not know if the author of the website means for all Minohiki or just this type, and I am not sure if blood means blood blood or the colouring of the comb).

"Albino" Minohiki = White

White species is in danger of dying out: Note the smaller "crest"/comb in this type:

Author of site points out the shape of the "crown"/comb as middle recessed cup-shape and smaller than the 1st bird above. Author also says this is a "Sakazukikanmuri" type bird.

Author says hatching rate is low.

This is a head shot of the hen.

The next bird was awarded the President's Award, an impressive 5 colours species:

"Rich feather and body shape that was dignified and was impressive."

Again different Crown type all seem to be correct from what I am making out in the translation... this bird has "Ichigokanmuri" Comb. But if I am getting the translation right the body form and general type of the "Sakazukikanmuri"

The author then says this is a "Niwatoritomo" bird... not sure what he means, if it is the type? He is clearly trying to explain the different types and seems to indicate some types come from different regions. Above he mentioned he raised a White one himself but the description he gave of how his bird's comb came out sounded to me like a 3 horned Rose-Comb or possible a 3 rowed Pea Comb, and that was not desirable it seemed from his tone.

Red Bamboo Species...

Red Bamboo Species Hen head:

Shirafuji Type:

Another Albino: Author says Comb maybe Ichigokanmuri:

The article explains there are different blood lines, which appears to create different types, but in the past there was allot of cross breeding between types to save the breed it seems... I had great difficulty understanding what the author was saying, seems maybe new types are developing? or maybe the breeders are trying to get back to old types?

The Orange bird below had a discussion on his comb, but I really do not understand if it is good or bad.

This next bird won the award Matsumura WataruMiyuki-sho:

Note the dragging saddle feathers, the selection for eye colour. All these where pointed out along with "Sakazukikanmuri shapely smaller"

Minohiki Hen:

Note the difference in body shape to the picture here from Japanese Standard for Onagadori Hen: Higher Tail carriage in the Minohiki:

Minohiki Satake Species:

This is a nigga face: With a comb too rough:

A satake orange hen:

Satake Albinos:

The author goes on to explain as best I could make out that they need more people breeding the birds to preserve for the future, that this breed has a long history and even ritual use of it's feathers... it seems you have to lobby the government concerning getting more breeders. That chicken breeding is down due to a variety of pressures, including anti-pet policies for renters even in rural areas, government control of breeding program (who can breed), and smaller pool of animals.

There seems to be people willing to not just raise these birds but breed them they are just facing allot of obstacles. So maybe you are allowed to raise one and keep one as a pet but not breed seems to be the gest of what I got. Also he seemed to indicate that maybe the Japanese people are taking it for granite the breed will always be around because of the Government. But then also the people don't seem to apperciate their native breeds? Translating is tough even with computer aids, there was something about changing over to raising birds in smaller spaces? There was something about how the world apperciates Japanes Culture (and possably these birds?) and the charm and beauty of them as well.

smile.png

If you post the kanji for the names you want good translations of, I can do it. Getting reliable translations/meanings of names is something I am good at. Also, I live in Japan so if you want me to find out something specific for you, just ask. And I can confirm that it is very difficult to have pets here, even if you live in a house. Also many people do not have lawns. There is a large trend to pave your entire yard as opposed to leaving it green which makes having any chickens... difficult to say the least. There is another new member that also lives in Japan. He is fluent (most likley) and has birds. I would guess that he is someone you guys might really want to hit up for information.

If you post the kanji for the names you want good translations of, I can do it. Getting reliable translations/meanings of names is something I am good at. Also, I live in Japan so if you want me to find out something specific for you, just ask. And I can confirm that it is very difficult to have pets here, even if you live in a house. Also many people do not have lawns. There is a large trend to pave your entire yard as opposed to leaving it green which makes having any chickens... difficult to say the least. There is another new member that also lives in Japan. He is fluent (most likley) and has birds. I would guess that he is someone you guys might really want to hit up for information.

This is the blog I found all these very nice birds on: http://blog.livedoor.jp/agdw5/archives/1720305.html I did my best with the translation program. I honestly have not used Japanese since the 1980s and that was all learnt on the fly in Japan except for 10 words I was taught 2 weeks before the trip, armed with the black book of phrases and I was smart enough to watch Japanese pre-school TV shows I was able to learn a few more words, and even a couple Chinese based symbols... but 1 month is not enough time any where to learn a language. If you could look at it and see if I got the general info right that would be great, I abridged allot as I just could not understand the English the computer was kicking out. I find these birds very pretty and am trying to learn all I can about them.

Back
Top Bottom