ATTN: Yokohama Lovers!

Do you have any pics of yours? Thanks.

currently no pics and their tails look bad from all the rain we have gotten (they have gotten broken off to for some reason they wanted to walk around in the mud and rain), i'm sure the reds have to much red, got them from a hatchery and want to keep the best roos as we ended up with 2 hens and 4 roos of the red shouldered and 2 hens and 3 roos if the silver duckwings. i know they wont be showable more than likly and thats alright around here for 4-h
hmm.png
i do prefer the better showable chickens though like my d'uccles

currently no pics and their tails look bad from all the rain we have gotten (they have gotten broken off to for some reason they wanted to walk around in the mud and rain), i'm sure the reds have to much red, got them from a hatchery and want to keep the best roos as we ended up with 2 hens and 4 roos of the red shouldered and 2 hens and 3 roos if the silver duckwings. i know they wont be showable more than likly and thats alright around here for 4-h
hmm.png
i do prefer the better showable chickens though like my d'uccles

Cheer up.. I bet they are nice birds.. hatchery birds rarely have the red breasts on the roosters and good spangling, so if yours have "too much red" they might be better than normal..
big_smile.png

Just ordered eggs from ebay. My youngest daughter, Abby, has picked the Yokohama as her "endangered breed" to focus on. Trying to scrape up all of the information we can on the breed. I purchased full size eggs from 1 and another was advertised as bantam Yokos. Hope I have a decent hatch. Are there any books or publications on Yokohamas that you have found helpful? Also would like to know who is still selling eggs off of this site. Hoping that Abby can get off to a successful start at her project to help "save" the population. My other daughter, Emily, has chosen the Buckeye. It is going to be fun watching them & helping them with their projecst. Any and all advice or info would be greatly appreciated!

For those of you who incubate - are there any hints / tips on hatching? Do they use the same humidity parameters as other chicken eggs, or do they prefer a higher humidity?

We have yokohamas. There is information on www.feathersite.com and also on www.onagadori.com. They use the same humidity as other breeds. Yokohamas in the U.S. are becoming more and more rare due to inbreeding. We are working on crossing The imported German line (2002) with Existing Stock from the States and hoping for hybrid vigor.. We are also focusing on recreating lines and doing backcrosses using other longtails to improve the breed and yet preserve their wonderful qualities as well.
Hope this helps.
Stewart Longtails

Anyone have any RS Yokohamas from Ideal Poultry in Texas? How is their coloring? Any chance of any show quality coming from them? Asking because I have a breeding quartet coming next Friday!!! Thoughts on this would be great!

A friend and I ordered a bunch of extra roosters last year to see what we could get quality wise.. Out of about 20 here is the best roo.. And he isn't good.. I hope you have better luck..
Bad coloring, terrible tail angle, but he has a great personality.. Makes a nice pet, not a good show bird! I won't be breeding him.. We were just pooling to see what the hatchery stock was like.. Now we know.. I prefer mine to look like this...
I think I would try cackle if I had to use a hatchery, but my experience is that the birds look nothing like the pictures.. I have never gotten a good longtail from a hatchery or one that was even breeder quality.. But it could happen.. In theory..

Back
Top Bottom