August Hatch-A-Long

ChickyChickens

Chickening Around
5 Years
May 24, 2014
BYC? Epic <3
My Coop
My Coop
So.....I wanted to start a thread for us 'Chicken Mommies/Daddies that will have little chickies in August! So here is my STORY!
I have got 4 hens left that are laying that should hopefully go broody( I also have 3 broodies on eggs and 5 broodies with 48 little chickies!! One of the nest boxes already has 15 eggs in it and today I noticed the hen is starting to pull her breast feathers out and is staying in the nest! I will then wait a week to see if she is not 'playing' with me! Those should then start to hatch in august! And Spot, one of my broodies that just got 'rid' of her chicks, has started laying today! She is a very broody hen and has in 2 1/2 years raised 13 batches of chicks for me! YAY!!! Lets hope she goes broody on some more eggs again soon!
smile.png

So lets sit back and enjoy the.... August Hatches!

Last edited:
I know , I have had a look at the egg colour chart but there are so many with different looks but similar egg shells and these will be hybrids probably anyway as they are all pure but freeranging together so it could be anything, counting down... Size days til they are due lol
HAHA...even with the egg color chart you will get it "figured out" and then they will turn out to be something different
wink.png
I think surprise is part of the fun of hatching
thumbsup.gif
Good luck with your hatch!

Over all, I think we humans over think the entire incubating process. Mama hen wiggles the eggs around when she feels like it (not on a schedule), jumps off to eat/drink/poo and lets the eggs air a bit. I think unless we are scientist doing an egg hatching experiment that we just think/worry too much. We will get what we get and we just do our best getting there. Even Mama hen doesn't get 100% every time. Best of luck to everyone!

That being said, I can't wait to candle tomorrow night.
wee.gif

Yes I always do, I find the smaller the egg the better success with air cells reattaching or arriving intact through our particularly rough postage. (Only based on my hatches with buttons and coturnix, I find that the coturnix quail tend to have more detached cells than the buttons despite dealing with same awful posting and the 18 ducks all had detached cells which didnt reattach for this hatch which was a first). Hatch rates have suffered and I have always had a few assisted from malpositions each hatch, but I havent hatched chicks or ducks before so not sure!
Well, that gives me some hope as far as success with smaller eggs and attaching because I have Bantam eggs, so they are small
smile.png
I am really hoping my broody bantam cochin will be able to hatch and mother some little ones!!!

Thank you! I received 2 Assorted Bantams, 4 Easter Eggers, 2 Speckled Sussex, 2 Black Australorp, 2 Buff Orpington, 2 Barred Rocks, & 2 Rhode Island Reds. I can't seem to identify an air cell in any of them. I candled them when they came & I set them fat end up in the basement for 24 hours, then last night I candled them as I was putting them in the incubator (I let them warm up to room temp for 6 hours 1st). I can see darker blobs that float at the fat top, is that the yolk or do you think that is detached air cells? I hope your 1st attempt at shipped goes well! I had to use clear fingernail polish on 4 eggs with small cracks, too. 
Welcome Wendy! I also got my eggs from Meyers. The eggs have been in the incubator for 9 days, all seem to be developing great. Good luck.;)

Back
Top Bottom