August Hatch-A-Long

That is what I read. I hope it works and maybe my day or two different batches will make it. What is your humidity at? I have read so many different numbers that I'm not sure where it should be...mine might be a little low, its at 41% and temp staying rt at 100...its a still air and I know they say to keep still air at 101 or 102 but its not a digital thermostat so I hate to mess with the knob for one degree...unless it fluctuates down. So far it hasn't changed temps. I'm sure open to anyones suggestions :)
I keep my humidity 45-50% and temp at 100. Mine is still air also and has always done well with my hatches with these settings
smile.png
And yes, be very careful with adjustment as a little adjustment can cause a big change in temp! If it is consistent, I wouldn't change anything.

Thank you! I received 2 Assorted Bantams, 4 Easter Eggers, 2 Speckled Sussex, 2 Black Australorp, 2 Buff Orpington, 2 Barred Rocks, & 2 Rhode Island Reds. I can't seem to identify an air cell in any of them. I candled them when they came & I set them fat end up in the basement for 24 hours, then last night I candled them as I was putting them in the incubator (I let them warm up to room temp for 6 hours 1st). I can see darker blobs that float at the fat top, is that the yolk or do you think that is detached air cells? I hope your 1st attempt at shipped goes well! I had to use clear fingernail polish on 4 eggs with small cracks, too. 
Welcome Wendy! I also got my eggs from Meyers. The eggs have been in the incubator for 9 days, all seem to be developing great. Good luck.;)

Well maybe some will still make it. I did something really stupid for my first time and ordered two different batches for the same hatch. Of course the one group got here a day early and its looking like the other might make it here tomorrow or saturday!! I really don't know what to do but just going to try my best with I guess a staggered hatch. I have a turner so I'm just not sure what you do when the one group makes day 18 and suppose to stop turning. I did read where they say on day 18 to take turner out and lay the eggs but even then I don't want to be getting in the bator to turn the others. So much fun I get myself into! lol

I don't know what kind of turner you have but mine is supposed to come apart and then I could lay some of the eggs on the screen. I couldn't get it apart but my hatch wasn't staggered so I just unplugged it. Once the eggs hatched and I was cleaning the turner, I figured out how it came apart but I don't think I could have done it with any eggs in it.

Just candled day 8. Pulled 5 (order 2 dz got 35)of my shipped FBCM. Obvious red ring of death but think 3 more are clear. Couple have wonky air cell. Pulled 9 out of the 31 mixed I got from friend. Then three of my bym are goin strong.

Just candled day 8. Pulled 5 (order 2 dz got 35)of my shipped FBCM. Obvious red ring of death but think 3 more are clear. Couple have wonky air cell. Pulled 9 out of the 31 mixed I got from friend. Then three of my bym are goin strong.
Not bad so far
clap.gif
Do you do anything special for your wonky air cell eggs? Couple of my shipped had loose air cells
sad.png

Okay Calichicken, I am stalking you! Like I need to join one more thread! I have eggs set to hatch Aug. 5, 8 & 11 in two bators. Staggered hatch. I need all the support I can get!
frow.gif

I am doing the same thing, so I am curious to see how our hatch turns out! I put my shipped eggs in the bator on sunday and was given the advise to leave them big end up and turn them just a bit...not a full 180...so the developing chick doesn't stick to the side...for the first 5 days to help with loose air cells. First time I have used shipped eggs, so going from the advice of a very experienced person :)
I don't know anyone experienced to ask advice from ~ that's why I've been cyberstalking BYC since I got the crazy idear to try this, LOL. DH & children have finally stopped trying to talk any sense into me. I didn't turn the 1st 48 hours, just left them fat end up. I am now putting a thick book under 1 end of the bator 3 or 5 times a day. I'm too scared to open it to turn by hand! Does anyone know if I can just use the book the whole time til day 18 lockdown? I do intend to candle on day 7, 10, 15 & 18.

Last edited:
I guess we are destined to be hatch buddies. What is this, 3 or more threads now that we keep bumping into each other
LOL!!!!
frow.gif
AGREED!!! I love this forum! so many people with great info and willing to support and share their experiences!! Helps a newbie like me out
wink.png
I guess we are destined to be hatch buddies. What is this, at least 3 threads that we keep bumping into each other?
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom