August Hatch-A-Long

Just candled day 8. Pulled 5 (order 2 dz got 35)of my shipped FBCM. Obvious red ring of death but think 3 more are clear. Couple have wonky air cell. Pulled 9 out of the 31 mixed I got from friend. Then three of my bym are goin strong.
I'm sorry, I am new to poultry talk, can u please tell me what FBCM & bym means?

I guess we are destined to be hatch buddies. What is this, 3 or more threads now that we keep bumping into each other
I guess we are destined to be hatch buddies. What is this, at least 3 threads that we keep bumping into each other?
hugs.gif
Yep!!! hatch buddies for sure
hugs.gif
Someone needs to help you keep your hands outta that bator...LOL
lau.gif

Over all, I think we humans over think the entire incubating process. Mama hen wiggles the eggs around when she feels like it (not on a schedule), jumps off to eat/drink/poo and lets the eggs air a bit. I think unless we are scientist doing an egg hatching experiment that we just think/worry too much. We will get what we get and we just do our best getting there. Even Mama hen doesn't get 100% every time. Best of luck to everyone!

That being said, I can't wait to candle tomorrow night.
wee.gif

Over all, I think we humans over think the entire incubating process. Mama hen wiggles the eggs around when she feels like it (not on a schedule), jumps off to eat/drink/poo and lets the eggs air a bit. I think unless we are scientist doing an egg hatching experiment that we just think/worry too much. We will get what we get and we just do our best getting there. Even Mama hen doesn't get 100% every time. Best of luck to everyone!

That being said, I can't wait to candle tomorrow night.
wee.gif
I am so glad you said tomorrow night...see progress
thumbsup.gif

I don't know anyone experienced to ask advice from ~ that's why I've been cyberstalking BYC since I got the crazy idear to try this, LOL. DH & children have finally stopped trying to talk any sense into me. I didn't turn the 1st 48 hours, just left them fat end up. I am now putting a thick book under 1 end of the bator 3 or 5 times a day. I'm too scared to open it to turn by hand! Does anyone know if I can just use the book the whole time til day 18 lockdown? I do intend to candle on day 7, 10, 14 & 18.
Not sure, but I would not use the book the whole 18 days. Turning eggs is vital to chick development and successful hatching! From what I understand(which is limited for sure) hatches are more successful for eggs with loose air cells if you keep them fat end up rather than laying them down on the floor of the bator, but they still need to be turned an odd number of times a day...at least 3-5. I plan on turning mine starting on day 5 and right now they are fat end up and I am turning just slightly. And you have joined a great place for help, support and advice
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom