Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

Did not really count them. They came out in 3 different hatches, 14 out 16, 20 out of 24 and 22 out of 24 = 56, lost 3 and another black 1 over night. I must admit it was one of the better hatch off I have had.

Was good, have to be happy with those results!

G'day!

I'm an Australian raising chooks in the Caribbean!

Just thought I'd says hi and subscribe to this thread to keep up with all things chickens back home!

<'))<
welcome-byc.gif

Very tropical!
big_smile.png
Welcome aboard the thread

Sam it would be great if it worked on silkies but it's my understanding that it is only reliable in hybrids with the slow feathering gene K. Recessive allele K are generally sex linked and have the late/slow feathering locus.

http://www.edelras.nl/chickengenetics/mutations2.html

After several years of breeding silkies , I have resigned myself to the fact that when it comes to sexing them , I am nearly always 50% right.

Oh I know I just have to wait LOL but it would be an interesting experiment.... I told hubby what everyone says wait for an egg or a crow LOL

Primary feathers and behavior, stance and leg size I have made a guess.....But its a guess....

My little ones will be all sold even though im tempted to keep the white one named scarlet and brown ish one called ChewBacca

I am looking for BPR Trio and a few LS for the egg flock.....

What are people experiences with the best time & the easiest time to sell excess chicks/older chicks/young pullets. I absolutely have to move most of mine on before anyone crows, but I'm torn with waiting until they feather out so I can see which are roosters & which feathering I like most. They are so gorgeous but my four hens are driving me nuts with their pre-dawn cackling. I've started seeing flashes of roast chicken through exhausted morning eyes. The thought of 10 doing that is, hmm...

Older the girls the more you will get for them However I find I have no problems off loading roosters so long as they are cheap or free.

I like to hang on to them until about 2 mths so they are feathered and don't need heat etc so the buyer doesn't need to worry about it.

(I find many are inexperienced with chicks)

I've got a quick question regarding babies and mummy chickens..

Bit worried cos we've got a 35 degree day today and a girl on eggs.. She's been on them for a week yesterday, should I be worried about the heat?
Their pen can get warm, we do have a small sprinkler setup to help keep it a little cooler (she doesn't get wet where the nest boxes are)..

I am just worried she might overheat on a day like today! :( She does get up and off the nest at least once a day to drink eat and do her gargantuan turds...

Can someone please put my mind at ease, or do I have every right to be worried?!?!

Cheers!

I've got a quick question regarding babies and mummy chickens..

Bit worried cos we've got a 35 degree day today and a girl on eggs.. She's been on them for a week yesterday, should I be worried about the heat?
Their pen can get warm, we do have a small sprinkler setup to help keep it a little cooler (she doesn't get wet where the nest boxes are)..

I am just worried she might overheat on a day like today! :( She does get up and off the nest at least once a day to drink eat and do her gargantuan turds...

Can someone please put my mind at ease, or do I have every right to be worried?!?!

Cheers!

They'll be fine. I had a hen sitting on eggs when it got to 48c last summer. As long as she has plenty of water she'll be fine.

Last edited:
Another question for you all.

There's a gentleman on a FB group who has made this statement ; "Persons would sell more poultry if they had realistic prices ( just an observation)".

What constitutes a realistic price in your opinion?

@satay - gorgeous babies
ya.gif

Back
Top Bottom