Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

Kinda reminds me of our Magpies during the nesting season!!
lau.gif

I watched a doco the other evening on training Eagles to hunt; quite fascinating stuff!

We have a couple of Magpies hanging around at the moment but they are not as bad as the Crows!

During the supervised afternoon free range, the run door is left open .. twice now I have had to retrieve their plastic food dish from the middle of the garden because a Crow has gone in the run and tried to drag it away; last time he nearly got it over the back fence and into the neighbours yard!

Keeping a very close eye on the Crows and my bubs!

Luckily we don't have crows around here
But we have noisy miners who chase the magpies away some times
So I feed those guys to keep them around haha
If the cat's out there the magpies will usually stay away though

@City farm , it's sand in my run mixed with whatever Snowy has dug up under the sand & food she has helpfully dispersed for her chicks. So far it has been ease to sieve of all debrit except the crumbles so I'm going to have to change something there.
Also, I may have a romanticised notion of the industry & it may be different in the states, but I thought you had to apprentice before someone is usually willing to sell you a falcon. I'd be interested to hear your experiences if you decide to go ahead & get one for your DH for his birthday.
big_smile.png

@Jellybaloo, congrats on your new lovely ladies! I was most tempted by the baby goats yesterday so it was easy to come home with only a couple of red velvet cupcakes.
big_smile.png

So....... Had an interesting reaction by winry to the new chick yesterday. Penny and peep are in their own run and the others have all had a bit of a look. Colonel thought it worth an inquisitive peck and as peep has a habit of squishing herself between the wire and penny I put another temporary layer of wire so she wasn't within beak distance.

Well yesterday winry who is doing my head in trying to be broody saw it and attacked in kill mode. She was hunkered down with wings out growling and trying to force her way between the wire to get to it. Had she succeeded it would have been dead I've no doubt.

I have read other broody's can attack but had thought that referred to broody with their own chicks. She is a bit of a turd to those lower than her on the pecking order (including penny who she likes to peck at every opportunity being bottom chook) so now I am hoping she snaps out of this with the broodiness.

I'm also wondering if it's an indication she might be a danger to any chicks she hatched herself?

I think more so appps she should be a good mum. My best ones are really violent when broody.

Back
Top Bottom