Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

You are tempting me to maybe drive up for a peek; but I just don't trust myself!  Hubby doesn't trust me either ;)   It probably is a bit of drive just for a look and I believe hubby has plans to drag the pool out of the shed and fill it.

Chicks do not count!

I am allowed 6 hens here.  I have 5 adults but they are bantams so they only count as 2.5 and 4 chicks who don't count at all so I am fine also ;)    Just need more land for a bigger coop!  I need to move! lol

:lau That's why I don't go to those things. I would bring home more chickens :lol:

The new ladys
Mia

Bella

The person we got them from said Mia was a salt and pepper and that Bella was a two toned chocolate
I'm guessing Splash? and Partridge?

The new ladys
Mia

Bella

The person we got them from said Mia was a salt and pepper and that Bella was a two toned chocolate

Mia does not look like a patridge.. Your's are georgous..

Our 1ST rooster a partridge, Clark Kent at about 4-5 months. His comb got to be enormous, it looked like red chewed up old bubble gum.. Here is his off spring that I totally loved.. Barnyard mix

Last edited:
:lau Hubby the enabler. I find bantam roos are louder than large roos a lot of the time. Never get a Belgian duccle roo or a oeg roo if you live in the city. They are super loud.

Lol
I think they were similar to this but the feathers on their feet weren't that big and didn't have as much of the black

@City farm I love your barnyard mix
He's gorgeous!

Last edited:
The new ladys
Mia

Bella

Don't know much about splash but that would be my guess yes. Bella looks like our partridge silky.

Sorry cleaned out my ipad so only photo I had. Same colour as yours by the look of it. The males get the red on them as they age so at least you know it's a girl!

Last edited:
Good morning
frow.gif

Thank you all for your comments re: the bubbies. Can everyone please send all available positive thoughts in the direction of the little grey one being a pullet
wink.png

Definitely some Silkie in that mix somewhere. The comb is not walnut and she/he does not have the required amount of toes but her/his comb is very similar to Tina’s who is Silkie but not good quality.

So want to keep the grey one!!! Probably going to have a long wait though. If there is Silkie in there, it could be months before we know whether we are dealing with a pullet or rooster.

They both have thick legs and the little ginger one has a little pink in what looks like a walnut comb but no idea really!

I remember with Tina and Suzi (sadly we lost Suzi) there were lots of people who thought they were roosters and Tina has thick legs and even has spurs but as you know, she is definitely no rooster!!
wink.png

Also, when Tina and Suzi were 5 weeks old, their 3 brothers were behaving like boys and while they all had similar combs, the boys combs were red. Sadly though, I have nothing to compare the little grey one to.

There have been the very occasional chest bumps between the two but nothing like Blondie's brothers when they were little and also nothing like Tina’s brothers.

Anyways, time will tell
idunno.gif
and I guess, worse case scenario, I will not have any trouble finding a home for that one; going to be very beautiful I think.

Jellyballoo congratulations on the new additions to your little family. They are just sooo gorgeous! I agree with satay, while small in stature, bantam roosters can easily compete with the big boys when it comes to volume.

Outpost JWB LuLu (below) gets no special treatment just gets spoiled the same as everyone else
wink.png

I agree with appps in that they turn from Frizzles to Drooples when it is raining and like Silkies, probably not a good idea to let them go to bed wet as I believe their feathers are not as water resistant as others and they could catch a chill.

Findtex aaaw, adorable bubby shot!
Thank you also for the links.

Wooklet that picture is beautiful!

Wow City farm love the beautiful eggs!

So....... Had an interesting reaction by winry to the new chick yesterday. Penny and peep are in their own run and the others have all had a bit of a look. Colonel thought it worth an inquisitive peck and as peep has a habit of squishing herself between the wire and penny I put another temporary layer of wire so she wasn't within beak distance.

Well yesterday winry who is doing my head in trying to be broody saw it and attacked in kill mode. She was hunkered down with wings out growling and trying to force her way between the wire to get to it. Had she succeeded it would have been dead I've no doubt.

I have read other broody's can attack but had thought that referred to broody with their own chicks. She is a bit of a turd to those lower than her on the pecking order (including penny who she likes to peck at every opportunity being bottom chook) so now I am hoping she snaps out of this with the broodiness.

I'm also wondering if it's an indication she might be a danger to any chicks she hatched herself?

Last edited:
:lau Hubby the enabler. I find bantam roos are louder than large roos a lot of the time. Never get a Belgian duccle roo or a oeg roo if you live in the city. They are super loud.

Lol
I think they were similar to this but the feathers on their feet weren't that big and didn't have as much of the black

@City farm I love your barnyard mix
He's gorgeous!

Now he would go perfect with our hen, Clair she is Millie Fluer de'ullce.. Spelling is a bit off..

Back
Top Bottom