Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

I prefer an infra red heat lamp as you can see from a distance whether or not it is on. I have met way too many people that have lost vast numbers of chicks after the heat source packed it in. I always keep a spare bulb cause you just know that if it blows it will be when all the shops are closed. My theory is , learn from not only your own mistakes but others, and you are half way there to being a responsible animal owner.

Hey guys few points:
-chicks due to hatch in a couple weeks and my heat bulb just blew...someone suggested a 100w normal bulb for brooder...thoughts?

-i have several different species of animal and humans are the only one i know of where avocado is ok. The skins and seeds are highly toxic.

-is hay/straw ok in a brooder?

Of the two, I prefer hay. Straw is very slippery and when they are young it is all too easy to slip their hock. I put feeders and water on a couple of house bricks or a paver to elevate it enough to prevent them scratching the bedding into the food. Oaten chaff also makes for good bedding.

My chicks were 4 weeks when I got them so only ended heat at night, I used a black heat lamp, we have snakes so I had it on hand, I just replaced the white heat bulb that came with the heat lamp setup. I can't imagine that constant light is good for them, how do they learn day from night?
Mine were old enough to go straight on to wood shavings, I put the straight outside in the quarantine coop, the heat lamp was in the coop part, i don't know yet what I'll do next time.

My chicks were 4 weeks when I got them so only ended heat at night, I used a black heat lamp, we have snakes so I had it on hand, I just replaced the white heat bulb that came with the heat lamp setup. I can't imagine that constant light is good for them, how do they learn day from night?
Mine were old enough to go straight on to wood shavings, I put the straight outside in the quarantine coop, the heat lamp was in the coop part, i don't know yet what I'll do next time.

I have used a ceramic bulb too, but I found that the infra red made it easier to check on them during the night and when they are young , so long as they are warm they will doze off anywhere.
They also seem to be less skittish under the red light.

I use a bathroom heat globe run through a lighting dimmer. Bulb is fixed in place - no need to worry about the right height,
as temperature is controlled by the dimmer switch. I have a thermostatically controlled ceramic bulb as a back up- it comes on
if the main globe blows and the temp drops below 28 degrees.

xxxx M

Back
Top Bottom