Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

Some cuteness for the morning. This lot hatched while I was away for a couple of weeks. There are 2 more girls sitting and one other who abandoned hers 20 days in. The eggs were stone cold, but I picked the best looking and shoved them under a chook and to my surprise they were all moving again that night.

Some cuteness for the morning. This lot hatched while I was away for a couple of weeks. There are 2 more girls sitting and one other who abandoned hers 20 days in. The eggs were stone cold, but I picked the best looking and shoved them under a chook and to my surprise they were all moving again that night.

Gratz on your new ducklings. Very cute.:love

Thank you so much Fancychooklady .... I read all on the link.

I am quite paranoid about keeping food dry.   Which is why I never use lucerne or hay.   However, straw  becomes 'damp' at times, which is making me wonder.  ....I keep all the layer pellet  food dry in the original bag, sealed tightly over and clamped with large pegs..  

I have my own mix of cooked rice, raw rolled oats, wheat bran, scissored broccoli and / or cooked peas, beans, finely chopped kale or cabbage a bit of cheese, an occasional hard boiled egg - a big handful of scratch mix all with a little boiled water to mix to warm softness - and any or all of - ( grated cheese, hard boiled egg, left over meats, sardines - when moulting only ) kitchen scraps - all of which is eaten down to the last mouthful ( they are shocking gormandisers ).    In summer they get yoghurt and water melon.  

It is interesting about mouldy food though - and I would NEVER have thought of it, as I am constantly filling up the food containers.   It has been non-stop rain and piercing cold here for weeks ( Victoria ) and I am beginning to think that perhaps overnight their food has become 'damp' - and is eaten 'damp' ... but I doubt it would ever have  time to go actually mouldy.  It certainly could have been damp.   On the other hand, I throw out used straw from their one nesting 'bed' ( they don't roost in the freezing weather )  ... and they scratch around in that in their run, however that has almost disappeared into the mud now.  I do know they pick at it though - and it would be ultra-wet and dirty.  ( tomorrow I take the top off the ground altogether so's there's no more muddy straw lying about ).   .... But then, I have noticed that chickenswill eat just about anything - tiny grit and stones, dirt :sick , assorted leaves, and heaven knows what they find in the garden.   

The clear patches of  mud in recent days they have had sooo much fun in - as worms have come to the top ( small immature pale coloured things ) ... and they scratch in that mud to catch and eat them.  ...

The eggs I have referred to however, go back to the very beginning of their resumption of laying.  

Perhaps those 'first' eggs after such a long time, are difficult to get going,​
and they bleed into the forming yolk  .... would  that be possible ?  ​

Also noted on the link, sudden sounds / frights and disturbances, and they have had plenty of those ( chainsaws on fallen trees,  hammering in a new shed by the back neighbour, massively high winds, hail on their corrugated iron roof, and huge flocks of screeching cockatoos, which frightens them into their coop, into a corner ) .... none of which I can stop or help. !!  ... I just wish I could.   ... The cockies have been particularly active recently as they herald rain in large loud flocks, and there's been soooo much of that.   The currawongs are singing their heads off yesterday - which also means more rain and cold. !!    

I feed them the Barastoc Layer Pellets - am wondering if they have changed the ingredients recently. Will try to find out, ( not that they would readily admit to much ).  And lately, instead of throwing them scratch mix on the ground I have been giving them that in dog bowls  - to prevent it getting muddy !! :rolleyes:    

Thanks again ... 

Cheers - 

If you are filling the feeders without emptying out the remenants in the bottom you could be getting mould forming and working its way up to through the feed.
You should empty and wipe out the feeders once a week at least.
Having said that the formation of blood eggs is not uncommon in the first 2 weeks of comming into lay- either after a break or for the first time

If you are filling the feeders without emptying out the remenants in the bottom you could be getting mould forming and working its way up to through the feed.
You should empty and wipe out the feeders once a week at least.
Having said that the formation of blood eggs is not uncommon in the first 2 weeks of comming into lay- either after a break or for the first time

Thank you sjturner79

Being the total fuss-pot that I am, I do clean out and wipe the feeders around once a week - maybe every 10 days ? .... but it does get done. Good point though, as I also have 'topped up' some food in the feeders, but not recently. They have been locked up in shocking weather, and have little to amuse themselves but eat, and I often go out in the afternoon to change water, clean up straw etc., ( in pouring rain many times ) and find the entire lot ( crushed stuff included ) gone. I don't overfill the feeders either. Will have to clean them twice a week while this weather lasts - and thanks for that tip.

Was also kind of pleased to hear that ' blood eggs ' are not uncommon in the first 2 weeks of resuming laying ( in my chooks' case ). I think that might be the main cause - at least I hope so. Will keep a watch on it all very carefully. .... Tonight intend to use two eggs - one from around 11 days ago, and one of today's eggs, to see if there is any difference / improvement. I mark all my eggs with the date of laying, using child safe felt-tip pens. !!

Poor wee souls - to give birth every day and do all that pushing and purring ... makes me sad at times. .. And we take eggs so much for granted
hmm.png

Again, thanks so much for the reply.

Cheers -

Last edited:
Thank you sjturner79 

Being the total fuss-pot that I am, I do clean out and wipe the feeders around once a week - maybe every 10 days ? .... but it does get done.  Good point though, as I also have 'topped up' some food in the feeders, but not recently.   They have been locked up in shocking weather, and have little to amuse themselves but eat, and I often go out in the afternoon to change water, clean up straw etc., ( in pouring rain many times ) and find the entire lot ( crushed  stuff included ) gone.   I don't overfill the feeders either.   Will have to clean them twice a week while this weather lasts - and thanks for that tip.

Was also kind of pleased to hear that ' blood eggs ' are not uncommon in the first 2 weeks of resuming laying ( in my chooks' case ).   I think that might be the main cause - at least I hope so.    Will keep a watch on it all very carefully. .... Tonight intend to use two eggs - one from around 11 days ago, and one of today's eggs, to see if there is any difference / improvement.   I mark all my eggs with the date of laying, using child safe felt-tip  pens.  !!  

Poor wee souls - to give birth every day and do all that pushing and purring ... makes me sad at times.  .. And we take eggs so much for granted  :/

Cheers -   

Your welcome

Thank you sjturner79 

Being the total fuss-pot that I am, I do clean out and wipe the feeders around once a week - maybe every 10 days ? .... but it does get done.  Good point though, as I also have 'topped up' some food in the feeders, but not recently.   They have been locked up in shocking weather, and have little to amuse themselves but eat, and I often go out in the afternoon to change water, clean up straw etc., ( in pouring rain many times ) and find the entire lot ( crushed  stuff included ) gone.   I don't overfill the feeders either.   Will have to clean them twice a week while this weather lasts - and thanks for that tip.

Was also kind of pleased to hear that ' blood eggs ' are not uncommon in the first 2 weeks of resuming laying ( in my chooks' case ).   I think that might be the main cause - at least I hope so.    Will keep a watch on it all very carefully. .... Tonight intend to use two eggs - one from around 11 days ago, and one of today's eggs, to see if there is any difference / improvement.   I mark all my eggs with the date of laying, using child safe felt-tip  pens.  !!  

Poor wee souls - to give birth every day and do all that pushing and purring ... makes me sad at times.  .. And we take eggs so much for granted  :/

Cheers -   

Blood egg and meat spots are far more common than we are led to believe. In the commercial egg industry eggs are electronically candled to prevent them ever making it onto our supermarket shelves. They are apparently sold to bakeries where we are ' none the wiser ' .
I try to avoid adding moisture to food as it increases the likelihood of mould spores. Wet feed also provides a great environment for cocidia to ' go forth and multiply '.

Howdy friends
frow.gif

Thank you for the congrats on both my little girls first eggs. Thank you also for all the helpful information on blood spots etc.

Love the adorable cuteness CallMeQuackers

Congrats on all the eggs Sam and satay

Because KiKi laid her first egg this week, she thought she would have a spa-day, you know, work on the tan, get a new do .. smooth out those frizzle feathers:

Before:

After:

Yep, that is the same chicken, amazing what a day at the spa can achieve!
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom