Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

I don't think you can compare horse behaviour and chicken and I suspect there is no more thought going into his mating than it's here ill mate with it, just gotta work out how. The crowing is probably pure coincidence, and her broodiness has nothing to do with hearing it. I'm in suburbia a long way from roosters crowing and they still go broody at the drop of a hat. I also doubt the age or tom boy ness of the girls is even a factor other than because they are higher on the pecking order so he has to show he is boss as well before mating so he's not only working out what to do but mounting a hostile takeover from bottom of the pile for top flock position. As for his brother, when I got rid of my rooster I thought the girls would miss him. Don't think they even noticed lol. I think you are giving him far too much credit for rational thought :).

Its my first experience with roosters, I'll admit. I have found breeding males very similar so far across species. He certainly seems smarter than my ducks, no offense to them!

Ah....I meant crow as in she can hear the roosters. She's never squatted for an actual crow - but my muscovy duck has. She didnt like ducks. Until we got Lelouche. Got some funny pics of that....Try telling a love struck duck it doesnt work if shes on top!

Im a breeder I always have been. Ive only ever handled stallions in breeding season - until I got my own, that is. And I firmly believe stallions only get 'bent out of shape' like that because they dont keep the ladies. My boy has never behaved like most of the stallions I saw on big studs, he knows he will protect his lady right through pregnancy and play with his foal. The majority of their agression is for that protective phase, we just blame the sexual drive. Okay, Im stopping now. You got me started, but I am going to stop......He was raised by a gelding, his brother. When we lost him suddenly, we got the mare. I'd like them to have a colt (shes due now) so we can geld it and he can have a male companion again then I wont have to worry about breeding for awhile, but that I will have to wait and see.

(On facebook we are Crescent Moon Lodge and Halfway House, lots of pics)

Oh chickens are smart. Really smart. I used to hand raise and train birds, chickens can reason. I think my boys just young and anxious....If I get into too much trouble I can just call The Trude. She's rescued me more than once.

Oh my hat !!
lau.gif
... talk about taking something at face value !! .... I honestly did not think about the 'crowing' of roosters that gets your girl into a tizz !! ... just thought it might have been crows themselves ... seeing as how my girls will squat for anything that moves. !! Was stupidly judging your comments by my own experiences. !! LOL.

As for your love struck duck ... that is a classic. ... and calling "The Trude" to rescue you ... that broke me up. She sounds like one tough broad - in chicken terms.

So glad to know your horse(s) have companions ... they really need that. No matter whether entire or not. Calms them down - racehorse owners / trainers often ask permission to bring a companion to a racetrack, to keep the racehorse quieted.

I will look at your Facebook pages too - would be interesting, I am sure.

Ref. your other comment - blood - and its effects. .... To put it discreetly, I was always careful never to be near a stallion ( if possible ) when it was 'that time' for me. They can react to the 'detection' of hormone produced blood ... not sure if it is aroma or by some other means that a stallion reacts - the mare does not 'bleed' as such, but gives off certain pheromones - most likely in urine which increases at oestrus, and perhaps the pheromones are similar to those of a woman - who - after all prepares each month for possible conception during her fertile years.

Hope I haven't offended anyone here, with my commentary ??

Nature, and the way everything works, endlessly fascinates me and no doubt, many others here.

How a chicken 'builds' an egg from ovulation to what we gather up to eat from the nest, is quite extraordinary.

Cheers ....

Last edited:
Oh my hat !!   :lau   ... talk about taking something at face value !! .... I honestly did not think about the 'crowing' of roosters that gets your girl into a tizz !! ... just thought it might have been crows themselves ... seeing as how my girls will squat for anything that moves.   !!   Was stupidly judging your comments by my own experiences. !!   LOL.  

As for your love struck duck ... that is a classic.   ... and calling "The Trude" to rescue you ... that broke me up.   She sounds like one tough broad - in chicken terms.   

So glad to know your horse(s) have companions ... they really need that.   No matter whether entire or not.   Calms them down - racehorse owners / trainers often ask permission to bring a  companion to a racetrack, to keep the racehorse quieted.  

Ref. your other comment - blood - and its effects. .... To put it discreetly, I was always careful never to be near a stallion ( if possible ) when it was 'that time' for me.    They can react to the 'detection' of hormone produced blood ... not sure if it is aroma or by some other means that a stallion reacts -  the mare does not 'bleed' as such, but gives off certain pheromones - most likely in urine which increases at oestrus, and perhaps the pheromones are similar to those of a woman - who - after all prepares each month for possible conception during her fertile years.  

Nature, and the way everything works, endlessly fascinates me and no doubt,  many others here.  

How a chicken 'builds' an egg from ovulation  to what we gather up to eat from the nest, is quite extraordinary.  

Cheers .... 

There is a little more to the amorous pursuits of a stallion. The mare , lifts her tail ' winks ' her vulva to attract the stallion and once he is close enough she ' sprays ' . So I don't think you were ever in any danger . :D
The stallion that we have used is ' Carpino Z ' , he is a World Cup stallion and a complete gentleman. The kids were under him and around him, he loves the attention. There are many stallions at World Cup level and they are stabled with all the mares and compete amongst hundreds of horses, without incident.
Admittedly we used AI, but that was only to protect the 6 million dollar stallion from injury during mating. Pete not only has World Cup bloodlines but he also has a gentle and kind disposition, which is a most desirable trait when selecting any animal for breeding.
ive heard it said that aggressive rooster make for aggressive young, so many breeders cull anything displays aggression towards humans. The rooster is simply doing his job, protecting his girls, some just take it a little more seriously. :)

Oh my hat !!   :lau   ... talk about taking something at face value !! .... I honestly did not think about the 'crowing' of roosters that gets your girl into a tizz !! ... just thought it might have been crows themselves ... seeing as how my girls will squat for anything that moves.   !!   Was stupidly judging your comments by my own experiences. !!   LOL.  

As for your love struck duck ... that is a classic.   ... and calling "The Trude" to rescue you ... that broke me up.   She sounds like one tough broad - in chicken terms.   

So glad to know your horse(s) have companions ... they really need that.   No matter whether entire or not.   Calms them down - racehorse owners / trainers often ask permission to bring a  companion to a racetrack, to keep the racehorse quieted.  

Ref. your other comment - blood - and its effects. .... To put it discreetly, I was always careful never to be near a stallion ( if possible ) when it was 'that time' for me.    They can react to the 'detection' of hormone produced blood ... not sure if it is aroma or by some other means that a stallion reacts -  the mare does not 'bleed' as such, but gives off certain pheromones - most likely in urine which increases at oestrus, and perhaps the pheromones are similar to those of a woman - who - after all prepares each month for possible conception during her fertile years.  

Nature, and the way everything works, endlessly fascinates me and no doubt,  many others here.  

How a chicken 'builds' an egg from ovulation  to what we gather up to eat from the nest, is quite extraordinary.  

Cheers .... 

Once I get back on my computer, I'll post some pics of Regina and Lelouche. She is so dominant, she never let a drake mount her, and he came to me because he had aggression problems. I was worried about what id do with him. So I put Gina in there just to see, as she had been trilling away through the wire and yeeeha...she did to him what he did to other ducks! Both settled after a few days, he wont go near her, but every now and then she catches sight of him and waddle runs at him "come here beautiful man!"
Stallions reacting to a woman's menstruation has been proven in scientific study to be 'myth information'. The official result of the study was that woman perceive a difference in the stallions behaviour that is not actually there. With a result like that, I would assume it was run by men? I have always noticed a difference, and I honestly think its more about the blood Tha anything else. All boys I've ever handled notice it, but none so much as my stallion. He simply goes nuts. He must investigate the injury and doesn't calm down until its wrapped up. If one of the horses has a nasty one, he's quite depressed until it begins to heal. I think it triggers the extra testosterone needed to fight off predators which is the stallions job.
As for The Trude, well, if she hears a scuffle, she appears. All this between me and roo is just horse play. SHE is top chook.

Once I get back on my computer, I'll post some pics of Regina and Lelouche. She is so dominant, she never let a drake mount her, and he came to me because he had aggression problems. I was worried about what id do with him. So I put Gina in there just to see, as she had been trilling away through the wire and yeeeha...she did to him what he did to other ducks! Both settled after a few days, he wont go near her, but every now and then she catches sight of him and waddle runs at him "come here beautiful man!"
Stallions reacting to a woman's menstruation has been proven in scientific study to be 'myth information'. The official result of the study was that woman perceive a difference in the stallions behaviour that is not actually there. With a result like that, I would assume it was run by men? I have always noticed a difference, and I honestly think its more about the blood Tha anything else. All boys I've ever handled notice it, but none so much as my stallion. He simply goes nuts. He must investigate the injury and doesn't calm down until its wrapped up. If one of the horses has a nasty one, he's quite depressed until it begins to heal. I think it triggers the extra testosterone needed to fight off predators which is the stallions job.
As for The Trude, well, if she hears a scuffle, she appears. All this between me and roo is just horse play. SHE is top chook.

Kleonpatra -

Will look forward to some pics of Regina and Lelouche ( unusual, great name - that ). ....

Not surprised about your Gina.
wink.png
Dogs mount one another ( females do it too ) to be dominant - it is not sexual ( unless needs be ) - it is just a show of dominance "I'm top dog" stuff. Neutered dogs ( both genders ) do it. ... No doubt everyone here has seen those performances !!! So - Gina is being dominant ... !! - - - that must be a bit of a laugh. Certainly taught your drake a thing or three !!

Was interested in your comment about 'myth information' - re stallions reacting to menstrual blood --- went rummaging around on the net - ( not that I didn't believe you - just was interested in any other ideas, arguments and info ) ... and I agree with you - it is most likely the smell of just 'blood' that gets them into a bit of a tizz and certainly nothing to do with arousal. ... a lot of animals are intrigued and / or stimulated to strange behaviour by the mere smell of blood - but again, not for pro-creational reasons. Just the smell is enough - and it can be upsetting to many species.

Have been around horses most of my life, have ridden stallions - all of whom ( except one ) behaved impeccably. However, two stallions did react badly - when I was in 'that time' of the month ( decades ago !! ) and they were safely ( for me ) on the other side of the fence / stall. One in particular wanted to have a real go at me - attempting to bite, squealing, pawing etc. ... in a right tizz he was. much to the concern of his owners "He never does that ?" - - - I did not explain - and removed myself post haste - for his and their sake !! ...

Must have just been the blood smell he picked up on, meaning nothing more than that..

I think you might be right about it being men who conducted the study on all this though
hmm.png
!!

Last edited:
There is a little more to the amorous pursuits of a stallion. The mare , lifts her tail ' winks ' her vulva to attract the stallion and once he is close enough she ' sprays ' . So I don't think you were ever in any danger .
big_smile.png

The stallion that we have used is ' Carpino Z ' , he is a World Cup stallion and a complete gentleman. The kids were under him and around him, he loves the attention. There are many stallions at World Cup level and they are stabled with all the mares and compete amongst hundreds of horses, without incident.
Admittedly we used AI, but that was only to protect the 6 million dollar stallion from injury during mating. Pete not only has World Cup bloodlines but he also has a gentle and kind disposition, which is a most desirable trait when selecting any animal for breeding.
ive heard it said that aggressive rooster make for aggressive young, so many breeders cull anything displays aggression towards humans. The rooster is simply doing his job, protecting his girls, some just take it a little more seriously.
smile.png

Fancychooklady ...

Interesting comments here ... thank you. re 'aggressive rooster making for aggressive young' ... in the dog world, when selecting a puppy from legitimate breeders, it is always best practice to check both 'beeach' and stud dog ( if possible ) for signs of aggression, or nervousness - away from their puppies. ... these traits can certainly be passed on to the young. ...

Not always possible to check the behaviour of a stud dog though - bitches are so often taken to be mated elsewhere. That being said, it is also always a good idea to check the demeanour and behaviour of the stud dog, before mating ( again, if possible ). We did that for our Murphy Brown, ( pure bred Golden Retriever ) before putting her to a beautiful gentle champion dog - she had 7 gorgeous puppies, some years back now.

As far as chickens are concerned, I think the roosters do a splendid job for the most part - and they are very protective of their flock ( from what I have seen - do not have a rooster !! ). They of course, can be aggressive, like all entire males of any species can be. After babies are born, it's the mother that becomes super protective and at times, can be vicious ( speaking mostly of mammals ). Would not have thought rooster 'aggression' could be passed on to chicks, but then - I am no expert, and have not raised little chicks. So cannot claim to know much at all.

As posted above to Kleonpatra ....

" Have been around horses most of my life, have ridden stallions - all of whom ( except one ) behaved impeccably. However, two stallions did react badly - when I was in 'that time' of the month ( decades ago !! ) and they were safely ( for me ) on the other side of the fence / stall. One in particular wanted to have a real go at me - attempting to bite, squealing, pawing etc. ... in a right tizz he was. much to the concern of his owners "He never does that ?" - - - I did not explain - and removed myself post haste - for his and their sake !! ..."

I now have no doubt it was just the smell of blood ( or maybe he just didn't like me much !! ) .... but blood smell can be upsetting to many animals.

Agree - probably was not in any danger - overall,
wink.png
but a horse ( mare, gelding or stallion ) who displays aggression, has to be respected, especially when said horse is not known to the potential rider. Also know the amorous nature of stallions, especially when nearby a mare in oestrus. Know of the 'winking' of the vulva - and extra urination to attract etc. Have found it best to dominate - albeit gently, any horse when doing anything with them ... most tend to learn very quickly, and are very intelligent. Adore them.

Looked up Carpino Z - brilliant jumper. Wonderful result at the Royal Easter Show - World Cup event this year.

Don't blame you for protecting him - mares can lash out and do some very serious damage to a stallion.

Would love to ask a few more questions about your breeding programmes, have a horsey chat - but this is not a horse thread !!!
caf.gif
so will resist.

Ta muchly - ( hope the snow has cleared now - for you all to get out and about ).

cheers ---

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom