Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

Well a little pigeon update for anyone following along. I caught the parents feeding it this morning. Dad is trying hard and pecking mum and trying to get her to try but between them very little got into bubs. I was just watching a YouTube video of a fantail feeding the same age baby and the difference between the amount she gave it compared to what happened with our parents was huge.

Decided to try supplementing what they are giving it today. The lady at the feed store raises all sorts of cage birds and very nicely gave me some of her baby mix. It had a couple of tastes and then stops and then just sucked the lot down in about 10-15 seconds. Had a full crop for the first time I've seen. It's actually quite easy to feed because they suck their food so it can suck off a spoon rather than having to use a syringe in its throat.

The only thing I'm not sure how to manage is when to feed it. This time I saw dad try again and when he stopped that's when I finished feeding it. I'm not sure if I should just feed it every 3 hrs as if there are no parents or try to only do it after I see them try. I'm worried I shouldn't be feeding it if it's still got stuff in its crop from a parent feed because they always say to let them empty crops between feeds. A parent feed is probably 1/4 filling the crop if that.

Last edited:
Is there vet treatment when they go "crazy" like that? An injection or something? (obviously, it'd be too expensive taking chickens to the vet all the time, but I'm curious)

Me too potato chip ..... there must be some safe hormonal chemical that can stop this behaviour.

Maybe a male hormone ( except for Dusty who already thinks she is a rooster !! ).

TEILA ........ would love to hear of some solution to your broody punch-ups. ..... I don't think I could stand it myself. Willl add a note here, specifically addressed to you.

Cheers. ....

Last edited:
Teila, I forgot to get the eggs first thing and when I remembered I found one of the girls sitting on them. If your girls have been spreading their broody propaganda, I won't be happy
lol.png

Seriously though, it's only a problem if they only want to sit on eggs, isn't it? If they just sit on them a little bit before you grab them, that's ok?

Well a little pigeon update for anyone following along. I caught the parents feeding it this morning. Dad is trying hard and pecking mum and trying to get her to try but between them very little got into bubs. I was just watching a YouTube video of a fantail feeding the same age baby and the difference between the amount she gave it compared to what happened with our parents was huge.

Decided to try supplementing what they are giving it today. The lady at the feed store raises all sorts of cage birds and very nicely gave me some of her baby mix. It had a couple of tastes and then stops and then just sucked the lot down in about 10-15 seconds. Had a full crop for the first time I've seen. It's actually quite easy to feed because they suck their food so it can suck off a spoon rather than having to use a syringe in its throat.

The only thing I'm not sure how to manage is when to feed it. This time I saw dad try again and when he stopped that's when I finished feeding it. I'm not sure if I should just feed it every 3 hrs as if there are no parents or try to only do it after I see them try. I'm worried I shouldn't be feeding it if it's still got stuff in its crop from a parent feed because they always say to let them empty crops between feeds. A parent feed is probably 1/4 filling the crop if that.

I wish I could help some with your problem of how often to offer the special mix

This however, might help. : http://www.pigeonrescue.co.uk/howmuchtofeed.htm

Being such tiny tiny fragiles, their crops ( I think ) would fill quickly. I do remember when we bred some budgies - it always looked awful, ( skinny underfed in OUR opinion ) but they survived - somehow. Presume the parents knew what they were doing --- and with budgies, the male also helps with feeding ( as with magpies and a lot of wild origin birds ).

Good luck with all that --- they will hoperfully grow rapidly.

Cheers ..........

Teila ..... another of my strange suggestions.

When my girls are laying they squat ( as most chooks do ) - for me, our dog Ruby, or anything else that moves - when the mood strikes ( as it were ).

Would squat for a large floating twig of leaves - at that.

Yes, I did suggest a hormone or herb extract that you might find to assist the situation. That was a few weeks back now and agree again now, with potato chip.

sjturner79 has mentioned being jumped on by roosters every time they get off the nest, so I take it that broodies are not averse to male attention ??.

My thought is, and I do this for my girls when they squat - is give your broodies each a good scratch on their backs, neck, and near their tails. Basically a good strong scratch from head to rear. They react well, fluff themselves up - and that is an end to it .... they want no more attention.

We all know you wouldn't of course, part with your gorgeous chickens ( who continue with the chook version of "World Championship Wrestling" ) ..... but if they are looking for some companionship, and are happy with a scratch that simulates - - - why not try that with Cilla, Kiki and others.

Might save a lot of effort on your part in separating them all the time, and give them a sense of having been covered ( wow - eggs 'n babies soon !!! ) .... yippee ...
wee.gif

Yeah - I know it sounds weird and a little off --- but I think it is worth a try. And the turmeric as mentioned by Fancy, sounds like a plan too ..... must remember that myself - perhaps to stimulate further egg laying by my Mandy Welsummer who seems to have decided she is past menopause. !!!
th.gif
She has laid just 2 eggs in about 5 weeks. And whatever moult she was in, seems to have ended, but no further eggs. She just struts about, growling a lot !! Her comb goes from pink to red almost every other hour !!!
idunno.gif
... But she is happy - and dominant enough to peck at Molly over special "Mum's" food, ( which I stand guard over while they eat most of it, just to stop any punch-ups ). Doesn't take long - they are real gormandisers.

Again - good luck with it all Teila.

Cheers ............

Last edited:
Teila .....   another of my strange suggestions. 

When my girls are laying they squat ( as most chooks do )  - for me, our dog Ruby, or anything else that moves - when the mood strikes ( as it were ).  

Would squat for a large floating twig of leaves - at that.  

Yes, I did suggest a hormone or herb extract that you might find to assist the situation.   That was a few weeks back now and agree again now,  with potato chip.   

sjturner79 has mentioned being jumped on by roosters every time they get off the nest, so I take it that broodies are not averse to male attention ??.  

My thought is, and I do this for my girls when they squat -  is give your broodies each a good scratch on their backs, neck, and near their tails.  Basically a good strong scratch from head to rear.    They react well, fluff themselves up - and that is an end to it .... they want no more attention.  

We all know you wouldn't of course, part with your gorgeous chickens ( who continue with the chook version of "World Championship Wrestling"  )  ..... but if they are looking for some companionship, and are happy with a scratch that simulates - - - why not try that with Cilla, Kiki and others.  

Might save a lot of effort on your part in separating them all the time, and give them a sense of having been covered ( wow - eggs 'n babies soon !!! ) .... yippee ... :weee

Yeah - I know it sounds weird and a little off --- but I think it is worth a try.   And the turmeric as mentioned by Fancy, sounds like a plan too .....  must remember that myself - perhaps to stimulate further egg laying by my Mandy Welsummer who seems to have decided she is past menopause. !!! :th She has laid just 2 eggs in about 5 weeks.   And whatever moult she was in, seems to have ended, but no further eggs.   She just struts about, growling a lot !!    Her comb goes from pink to red almost every other hour !!!  :idunno  ... But she is happy - and dominant enough to peck at Molly over special "Mum's" food, ( which I stand guard over while they eat most of it, just to stop any punch-ups ).    Doesn't take long - they are real gormandisers. 

Again - good luck with it all Teila.  

Cheers ............  

They say that to stimulate egg production you should add paprika to the feed. :)

This may help.

http://www.birdfeedersspot.com/wild-birds-basics-tips/what-do-baby-pigeons-eat.html

Good morning Friends
frow.gif

False alarm .. the murder has not been murdered; they are back cawing; must have just been on a mini vacation
wink.png

appps while I cannot offer any assistance, just wanted to mention that you are a wonderful pigeon sitter/mumma
clap.gif

Broody update:

So, after 4 days in the crate, Blondie was looking close to broken, KiKi not so much. I let them out for free range with the flock and Blondie was actually OK until she saw KiKi trying to break into the coop and it was on again.

They are both pretty much full on broody and because 4 days of constant shuffling of chickens and bickering is doing my head in; this morning I just opened up the nest boxes because Dusty wanted to lay, threw my hands up in the air and walked away … KiKi is in one nest box and Blondie another.

I know that letting them anywhere near the nest box has just taken me right back to square one but I needed a break. Plus we have rain and possible storms predicted today and the crates are not really set up for wet weather.

It is, however, peaceful
wink.png

lol potato chip I am innocent I tell ya
wink.png

My broodys do not require eggs to become broody and taking the eggs away does not stop them being broody; they will quite happily sit on an empty nest which KiKi and Blondie are now doing. I have read that leaving the eggs in the nest can promote broodiness but promptly taking them away does not stop them going broody. Cilla goes broody every 10-12 eggs; so, basically, she lays enough eggs for a hatch and even though they have been taken away, goes broody and will sit on fresh air, rocks, straw or whatever.

Anniebee I think what sjturner79 was hinting at is that if they did not mind being jumped on by roosters, they would have fertile eggs and therefore, could hatch chicks to their hearts content.

While I do not have any real experience with roosters, I believe that a broody is not their preferred option. A broody’s comb will fade from bright red to pale which is an indication to the rooster that she is not available for mating.

Yep, my gals squat when they are laying but not when they are broody. Again, I believe that is an indication to the rooster that she is not available. Any rooster prepared to step within cooee of Blondie at the moment is one very brave rooster!
lau.gif

I think what I need to do is fashion a better broody breaker .. I need something with 2 x compartments and which I can leave them in day and night. Of course, then, when they are broken, I will have the fun of integrating them back in
roll.png

Anyways, right now, I am just enjoying the peace and quiet and a morning coffee .. after a refresh and regroup I will go back out and tackle the problem once again.

I feel a bit sorry for them. Their "children" taken away but they don't want to give up their goal to be mothers. It's a shame they can't have a bunch of babies and run about with them.

Back
Top Bottom