Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

Hello! I am interested in buying PURE Phoenix chocks and/or eggs (prefer eggs), If you aren't selling I would still like to see some pics of your Phoenix's.

I do show poultry and am looking for something different. I like BIG and UNIQUE feathers. I asked the other members in my club and they have never heard of the Phoenix breed before.  
Please sent photo of the parents and any other information about them to prove PURE BREEDING.

I have also just turned my incubator on and put 11 welsummer, 12 light Sussex, and 1 Plymouth rock/Leghorn, also quail eggs going in soon too :).

At last, A little baby girl.
How sweet.
263a.png

I hope the eye clears up soon. We do tend to worry about our babies, don't we?

I've been really busy lately so haven't been on - heaps of new babies to tend to. I have increased my flock with a pair of Araucanas - she's partridge, he's Black breasted Red; a pair of gold & silver/black silkies and a trio (1 boy and 2 girls) of show quality lavender Araucanas and a black girl. I am sourcing them right away from the area where I live now, after a few bad deals. Then on top of all those new birds, hubby bought me a new large incubator and I went crazy. Over the top!! So I have chicks coming out of my ears. Now, I have a question for you all.

Two of the young chicks have had a hard black crust form over their vents. The first chick was weak to start with and really didn't have a hope of surviving, but I still tried to keep it warm and quiet and bathed its backside in warm water until I was able to remove the "cap" of, I guess, poo. I blow dried it with my hair dryer and put it back in its little warm box, and I had fed and watered it. It lived for a few more days but sadly it didn't make it. I noticed this morning that another chick (these are araucanas), although happy and bouncing around with all the others, had a similar hard 'cap' over its bum. These are quite big - almost the size of my thumb nail which is quite big on a little chick. I have done the same to it - bathed it in warm water, dried it and popped it back in with its siblings. It seems happy enough but does anyone know what causes this and am I doing the right thing? I should have taken a photo to post, but didn't think at the time.

Hope everyone's getting along well and that winter's well and truly gone for all you southerners! We haven't really had a winter up here, although now that Spring has arrived we have the combustion stove going!

I've been really busy lately so haven't been on - heaps of new babies to tend to. I have increased my flock with a pair of Araucanas - she's partridge, he's Black breasted Red; a pair of gold & silver/black silkies and a trio (1 boy and 2 girls) of show quality lavender Araucanas and a black girl. I am sourcing them right away from the area where I live now, after a few bad deals. Then on top of all those new birds, hubby bought me a new large incubator and I went crazy. Over the top!! So I have chicks coming out of my ears. Now, I have a question for you all.

Two of the young chicks have had a hard black crust form over their vents. The first chick was weak to start with and really didn't have a hope of surviving, but I still tried to keep it warm and quiet and bathed its backside in warm water until I was able to remove the "cap" of, I guess, poo. I blow dried it with my hair dryer and put it back in its little warm box, and I had fed and watered it. It lived for a few more days but sadly it didn't make it. I noticed this morning that another chick (these are araucanas), although happy and bouncing around with all the others, had a similar hard 'cap' over its bum. These are quite big - almost the size of my thumb nail which is quite big on a little chick. I have done the same to it - bathed it in warm water, dried it and popped it back in with its siblings. It seems happy enough but does anyone know what causes this and am I doing the right thing? I should have taken a photo to post, but didn't think at the time.

Hope everyone's getting along well and that winter's well and truly gone for all you southerners! We haven't really had a winter up here, although now that Spring has arrived we have the combustion stove going!

Henriettasmum .... This might help you .... http://www.raising-happy-chickens.com/pasty-butt.html

I guess we all know about pasty butt in adult chickens - but this link talks about it in young chicks, particularly if they have been purchased as chicks, or incubated.

I hope it is of some assistance.

Cheers...

Last edited:
Hello! I am interested in buying PURE Phoenix chocks and/or eggs (prefer eggs), If you aren't selling I would still like to see some pics of your Phoenix's.

I do show poultry and am looking for something different. I like BIG and UNIQUE feathers. I asked the other members in my club and they have never heard of the Phoenix breed before.  
Please sent photo of the parents and any other information about them to prove PURE BREEDING.

I have also just turned my incubator on and put 11 welsummer, 12 light Sussex, and 1 Plymouth rock/Leghorn, also quail eggs going in soon too :).

welcome-byc.gif
.... jessbonnitcha .... I hope you are successful in finding what you are looking for.

Pasty butt is usually the result of dehydration, add a teaspoon of acv to the water and make sure that the temp isn't too hot in the brooder. If they are under a heat lamp they need lots of space to avoid overheating. Also be sure that the water is well away from any heat source and clean .

To all who have answered my Mandy Mystery questions ....... a big THANK YOU.  

I will be throwing out the eggs until the end of September  ... :hit ...... unless I actually see an egg come out of Mollys' rear end, or can absolutely positively identify it,  hers will have to go out too - although she is not on anti-biotics.  

MyHaven ...... agree with your advice ... and  had intended to  purchase some yoghurt to begin after next Saturday, when she is finished the course. 

I hope your little one who is sick, improves very quickly back to good health.   

Fancy .... have not given any supplement calcium at all, this past few days - and won't.   Only some yoghurt as a pro-biotic for her after the a/b's - and then only a little.   

btw ... left a note at the end of a comment I made to you, about my being censored ... I should have mentioned I believe it was the site that did that ... because I was perhaps a little too judgmental about that other thread.   I was at the time - dealing with other uproars here, sick hubby now - ( but not from eating eggs !! ) and a blinding headache myself, made me rather grumpy.

Hope your daughter is having great success with her horses in the comps here.   At least todays' weather is fine and warm here in Vic, for any outdoors events.      

Teila ... love the pic ... good giggle ( we all need them from time to time ) ... and yes - 4 weeks seems to be the safest period of time to not eat the eggs.  So that's how it will be.  

Yep - I'd be camping in that mango tree day and night .... :lau   I don't think we can grow them down here in the chilly wet south, at least not without shade cloth, or better - a hothouse,  or in a very protected area against a warm north facing wall. ??  ( according to a garden q & a forum I have just read ).  The fruit might grow but not set apparently.  

Satay ..... I thought it was very strange that anyone might cook up eggs with a/b's and feed them back to chookies, which had me ask the question here originally,  "[COLOR=333333]why would it be ok to give these to chickens" [/COLOR] ~~  apparently a lot of people do ... there was quite a bit of advice on other threads about doing just that. ??? but the advice was so varied, it was impossible to sort any of it out.    

Mandy continues to improve  ... still likes sitting down for a bit in 'favourite' spots ~ but is walking more quickly, almost the same rate as Molly, and is following her again.   Loves sitting and sticking her head between two smallish trunks of a tree out the back, where she  finds grubs and insects.   Her legs are the same size now ( from yesterday ) and continue to be so today.   Will wait until next weekend to make any further announcements  :)  

Again ~ many thanks to all.  

Cheers ....... 

My Vet Told me that eggs from commercial chickens can never be consumed. I'm not sure if that is just a Qld regulation or not. For personal consumption the 4 weeks was ok. I was throwing out more than a dozen a day.

I haven't tried it but I have heard you can spray a little food colouring on your girls vents. (I can imagine the shiver) then you will know who lays what egg.

I would say mangos have always been my favourite fruit. I can't eat them any more as last time I go a bowel obstruction and nearly needed emergency surgery.

My Fraidy, would lay 12 eggs go clucky, 12 eggs go clucky etc for the first 2 years and hasn't been clucky since. She's a Blue Australorp. Her Sister Lizzy has always gone clucky periodically with a good time frame between and still does. She also cares for the chicks a lot longer than Fraidy. I think it depends on the bird.

I would love to see a pic or her. Here are my blue's

Back
Top Bottom