Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

ROFL my office mates found the hilarious

This is his son ' Arnie ( it's not a tumor ).

Hi, in Australia we don't have Marans that lay in the darker shades of the Marans scale. Typically Marans chickens in Australia lay between 4-6 at the most. You might get the odd really really dark one but the grade of colour is taken across their season. They say the 20th egg is a good representation of what the hen should lay. Look out for people trying to sell you a Marans that does not lay an egg 4 or above saying they
have'lightened up' for the season because to be a true Marans they must lay a 4 no matter what time of season (excluding stresses because sometimes that will cause them not to lay pigment on the egg.)

That's a shame we don't have them here. Oh well I'm sure they are still darker than the average Isa Brown.

And how would they compare to a welsummer that I know I could get?

That would depend on the Welsummer. They come in a range of colours, but not many lines lay a very dark egg. Usually, a Marans would lay darker than a Welsummer. However, it would probably be easier to get a Welsummer than a dark laying Maran. It is not easy to source POL that are sure to lay a dark egg.

That's a shame we don't have them here. Oh well I'm sure they are still darker than the average Isa Brown.
Unfortunately some people still sell them as Marans even though they lay about the same colour as shop bought eggs and in quite a few cases even lighter.
And how would they compare to a welsummer that I know I could get?

Again it depends on what line you have. I had a few welsummers that laid about a 2.

Back
Top Bottom