Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

Awww .... is it possible to make a new nest for your broody - somehow enclosed to keep the others out this time ?   Seems a shame that she wants to hatch chickies, but can't because of greedy, dominant other chooks.   ( and they can be pushy little blighters ). 

Glad you enjoy our stories sjturner79 ..... you always post interesting informative things here too - I enjoy everyones' contributions. 

Cheers ...... 

It wasn't exactly greedy dominant chooks, they were 3 with babies that hadn't left the nest and 2 others that had started brooding a few days before she wanted too, so with 5 spit taken and only 3 nest there just wasn't room.

It wasn't exactly greedy dominant chooks, they were 3 with babies that hadn't left the nest and 2 others that had started brooding a few days before she wanted too, so with 5 spit taken and only 3 nest there just wasn't room.

Ooops .. !! The way I read your wording, I thought she was just being bustled around by other birds, with no-where to nest for chicks.

My mistake .... but I hope your broody has some good luck in the near future. I do hold that chooks are bossy ( do I hear argument about that ?? - tee hee ) .... and just presumed one or a few of your girls had done the 'get out of here' bit on your broody. They are 'wild' creatures, at heart - and will, I believe, always protect the ongoing of species - ( their own ). ....

Which is why I guess, a lot of broodys' get their nappies in knots. Dominance for procreation, and all that.

Cheers ....

Last edited:
Ooops .. !!   The way I read your wording, I thought she was just being bustled around by other birds, with no-where to nest for chicks.  

My mistake ....  but I hope your broody has some good luck in the near future.   I do hold that chooks are bossy ( do I hear argument about that ?? - tee hee ) .... and just presumed one or a few of your girls had done the 'get out of here' bit on your broody.   They are 'wild' creatures, at heart - and will, I believe, always protect the ongoing of species - ( their own ).    ....

Which is why I guess, a lot of broodys' get their nappies in knots.   Dominance for procreation,  and all that.

Cheers ....  

She should be fine now. It's her 3rd hatch, and I gave her 9 eggs to go with. I'll have to start working out which frizzles I'm keeping soon, so I can do up auction lots for April. I'm also still looking for some new RIR, lav ara, and meat birds.

Good morning folks
frow.gif

Satay as with ducks, I know very little about quail also but definitely look forward to the pictures of the babies if she has a successful hatch. Got everything crossed for her and you
fl.gif

They sure do appear to have some great camouflage going on.

Why do I have the sudden urge to own a budgie?
wink.png
They are adorable!

Sounds like you have been busy with broodies sjturner79; good luck with the hatch. I am pleased to report that we are still broody free and hoping that is it for this season. Everyone appears to be too busy moulting. I love the second pic and wonderful assortment of beautiful chookies.

potato chip your girls are definitely turning into beautiful ladies.

Anniebee no argument from me on the “chooks are bossy”
wink.png

Why do I have the sudden urge to own a budgie?
wink.png
They are adorable!
oooh, I have some other cute birdies. If I post photos, you could end up with even more of a birdie menagerie?
lol.png

Quote:
Thank you, I think so, but I'm biased. I just can't get over how quickly they grow, it's hard to notice it as it's happening, easier to see in photos.

Oh btw, who was it suggested those wire compost bin flat packs from Bunnings for an easy fence? I bought two packs and it's been great. I can give them an area to graze out their gate and it's solid enough I can drape some bird netting over to make it hawk proof. If I'm out with them I can just make it one long fence that stretches to our pool fence to give them a bigger area but still keep them contained and out of my garden. When hubby wants to mow he just folds it all back into a flat pack and leans against the fence. No more trying to move all my wire and tomato stakes and looks much neater! Thanks for the tip!

Hey Apps Good to hear that the bunnings compost bin metal panels are working for u! It was me thatentitled them a while back. They are gr8 for our property as the ground is Clay so once in the ground stakes are stuck like concrete. The panels are just so portable and easy to move for mowing. We have quite a few and love how we can give the girls fresh ground, allowing the lawn in other parts to recover from their digging and most importantly, protect the rose bushes
1f600.png

Will try to load some photos of our portable fencing

Hi Everyone
You all chat up a storm and I can't keep up with all the posts (busy time of year for us yr 1 tchrs! Only get a chance to peek at BYC very week or so) so just done a quick glance thru.
Enjoyed seeing all the cookie pics and reading about their antics!
I mentioned a week or so ago about one of r Aussies who likes to lay frm the highest perch at the back of the coop.

To reach her egg I (cause no one else will do it) either have to climb in over the ladder/perches or rake the egg forward thru the poop.

So have made a scoop using a $3 gutter scoop (frm bunnings) attached to old broom handle. It works a treat!

Back
Top Bottom