Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

Lol great pics, oh, I shoulda taken some of Aggie this morning. She's back to being a fluffy pompom with a head now.

Myhaven congrats on your son's new Silkie, and ouch on the tetanus shot, glad to hear you're fine though :)

Luckysmum, hooray for stain resistant feathers lol. That has been why I've avoided getting a pure white bird, knowing the mischief my lot get into. Though, nothing an occasional bath can't fix I guess. I'd really love a buff coloured Silkie though. That was my intention when I went to pick one out, but came home with Agnes. When I chose her, I looked at a few other birds, held them, checked them over. Didn't realized I'd picked up Aggie twice until the girl who was helping me pointed it out, so I thought she must be the one then. Actually I've also noticed a lot of size variations with Silkies, is yours more bantam sized or larger? On my last visit to Capalaba produce they had some lovely ones which must've been nearly twice Aggies size. Nice colours though, it was hard to walk away.

Yep, I'm probably going to spend some time looking at the Silkie thread now.

Last edited:
Aaaw potato chip your dogiddy found some new friends
wink.png
She's always known they are there, but where they normally stay has 2 levels. When they're upstairs, she can't reach to annoy them. Also, I've got a barrier across that keeps her away. She just can't get into her head that they don't want to play with her.

Kiki is so pretty.

Silkies are cute, too. My problem with this forum is that I keep seeing nice chickens and think I'd like to have them at home....

LuckysMum hope your toe gets better! Maybe the weather will clear up between the rain for long enough so you can finish that coop… just don’t pick up any more bricks…

MyHaven glad to hear that the cat bite didn’t get infected and that you aren’t going to turn into a were-cat!

Talking dust baths and heavy with dirt feathers … Yes, that is the same chicken, KiKi

Before:

After:

Haha that's amazing Teila! Really sweet pics of Kiki too I love it!
Some people really annoy me. There's an ad in the classified for a chicken. One chicken. Bought a month ago for a kid. Why would you buy an animal as a toy?

I know, it's terrible the way some people treat animals... I'm not necessarily referring to physical harm, just the ignorance of the fact that they are living, breathing creatures that have their own minds. Poor chookster all alone. I wouldn't be surprised if the owners of that chicken tried taking it back for a refund and asking how long the warranty was for it before they put the ad up...

I know, it's terrible the way some people treat animals... I'm not necessarily referring to physical harm, just the ignorance of the fact that they are living, breathing creatures that have their own minds. Poor chookster all alone. I wouldn't be surprised if the owners of that chicken tried taking it back for a refund and asking how long the warranty was for it before they put the ad up...
There's a picture of the poor thing sitting looking in through the sliding glass door. They want to sell it for exactly what they paid for it. I don't know why I find it so irritating, but it's really annoying to me.

There's a picture of the poor thing sitting looking in through the sliding glass door. They want to sell it for exactly what they paid for it. I don't know why I find it so irritating, but it's really annoying to me.

It's understanding that you would find it irritating; it's stupid. I wonder what went through their minds when they decided to buy it... actually now that I think about it did they think before getting that chicken? I doubt it...

Quote:
Lol great pics, oh, I shoulda taken some of Aggie this morning. She's back to being a fluffy pompom with a head now.

Actually I've also noticed a lot of size variations with Silkies, is yours more bantam sized or larger? On my last visit to Capalaba produce they had some lovely ones which must've been nearly twice Aggies size. Nice colours though, it was hard to walk away.

Yep, I'm probably going to spend some time looking at the Silkie thread now.
My silkies are 12 weeks today so I'm not sure when they stop growing and how big they will get. Maybe someone can tell me.
They are much the same size as my 8 week old australorps. My husband reckons the aussies look like raptors. Especially when the are running for their treats.

It's drizzling again but my husband and his brother and our son are out there in it trying to finish the coop for me. Couldn't ask for a better husband, brother-law or son. They came in for the Grand Prix and went straight back out.

It's understanding that you would find it irritating; it's stupid. I wonder what went through their minds when they decided to buy it... actually now that I think about it did they think before getting that chicken? I doubt it...

I agree I don't think some people do any research into pets or anything. How upsetting for poor chookie all alone, mine get frantic if they can't get to their mates. Usually because they don't realize they need to go through the door not through the wire. lol

MyHaven hope your cat bite is feeling better.

Teila Kiki is beautiful no wonder you wanted to hang on to her. Has the noise gotten any better today?

For those of you with all bantams, do you get enough eggs and find them useful (like in cooking, frying them ect)? My mother was complaining that when our large girls stop laying we'll be stuck with a bunch of useless eggs which I totally disagree with. You might need two instead of one, but really, I don't see a problem. Cept maybe for a boiled egg, might be a bit fiddly. Then again she was cranky at Dad and I for getting Ada and Annabelle in the first place, yet at the time we had two hens who had stopped laying, and one bantam :p Oh, and are Pekins seasonal layers? I'm wondering if I'll need to wait until spring for Esme to start laying. Her and Agnes have been chest bumping a bit lately, wondering if hormones are raging a little bit.

I used to think tha bantams weren't worth taking up my limited numbers with council restrictions. But when somebody gave my son Silkie I learnt that it's actually very handy sometimes to have a little egg. And they arent really that small. You can use them to half a one egg recipe or just add that little bit of extra egg when you need it and if you need to you can use two. Silkies are great little layers when they aren't clucky. And they make great mums. I can't speak for other bantams. I haven't had them long enough.

And you can treat the eggs as gourmet? Devilled eggs look great.

Quote:
My silkies are 12 weeks today so I'm not sure when they stop growing and how big they will get. Maybe someone can tell me.
I don't have silkies. My little girls in my avatar came to me at 9 weeks and 12 weeks. They grew a LOT after they arrived, I'd say they kept growing up until they started laying which they started about a month ago for one and a couple of weeks for the other. I think they were born in about November, how ever old that makes them now... about 5/6 months-ish? Yours could keep growing up until the same age???

They are only tiny little things, fully grown, even with their little head-dresses and fluff. A friend had them at her property. Maybe you won't notice as much growth as my little girls have shown, but my guess would be that they'll still grow more for quite a while.

Back
Top Bottom