Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

MyHaven said :

AB sorry I haven't responded to you sooner. It is accepted by dog trainers that 7 weeks is the ideal time to separate a pup from the *****. Any earlier and they haven't developed completely and have not got their foundation. Any later and they are missing out on imprinting period which is critical for a well balanced dog. I was interested when you said the pup was 6 1/2 weeks. They will also have chosen a pup with high drive in order to give the right character to do the job. What a wonderful thing you are doing. ( the censored bit is above, which is beyond weird ... you had already changed 'beach' to female dog - which I copied and pasted !!!!
hmm.png
)

That is most interesting and thank you for the info. They now let their puppies go at near 8 weeks, so I was told yesterday by a breeder friend. I do believe ( and perhaps breed comes into it here ) .... that the little innards of puppies are not completely developed and formed well, at 6.5 weeks. We are talking just a half a week difference ( 7 weeks as you mentioned ) ... but at the rate at which they grow, might be all it takes to completely develop their metabolism.

I can only presume they had one helluva superb litter in terms of becoming good dogs for assistance training. Because little Sonya is beyond belief in terms of demand, wreckage, already figuring out how to open a heavy door ????? .... and is already .... I would say 65% outdoors elimination, 35% indoors, which after 3.5 days with us, is phenomenal. Today she even went to the door leading outside, and waited. FOR HEAVENS SAKE, and did it outside.

Ruby has taken on a 'role'. She either ignores and avoids her, or attempts to show her how to play. Both strategies I believe are dog design to bring little madam into line, and correct 'pecking' order. She has brought Sonya two of her largest toys now to play with - THAT is hilarious - the unceremonious way she just plonks the toy in front of Sonya ... I swear there's a message in it. !!

Sonya backs right off and behaves herself when Ruby does the ' bumm in the air ' play time thing. That however, will not last long - Sonya will learn very quickly what play time is ---- and that's probably when I get myself on a plane to Canada. !!
lau.gif

Yes, { thank you } - it is a wonderful feeling to be going through puppy stages to help produce a healthy, intelligent, obedient, and quick to learn assistance dog.

........ ( next post for you is re chickens
smile.png
)

Last edited:
To MyHaven ---

Now for chickens ... I so love your new little Brahmas. They are very pretty, but will grow so quickly - lovely to have the pics of them at this stage.

A clucky D'uccle ? ... LOL ( I think ). 10 eggs and that's it ? - " I am now going to give everyone here the irrits --- yaaay ! "

Hope the parts of your flock that have had the nasties, are improving. You mentioned there is no change to their condition in general. I gather that means some are still having a few little symptoms, for a day or two and then better ? I trust the a/b's are having some good effect for all.

The snails info. gave me the horrors. While they look cute, I always chuck them away from wherever I find them on vegies. And I often find a large slug or two getting into Mindy Araucanas' water or even the food. Of course I pick up the slimy thing and chuck it over our garden gate. I so hope they do not impact on my little Mindy through her drinking water and food. They only appear after dusk in the coop, never during the day. And Mindy, once roosted - would need a bomb to go off under her to unseat her. She only ever decamps in the morning, so I doubt she would ever have seen let alone touch a slug.
fl.gif
.... Ugh.

Cheers ........

Last edited:
Teila I mow our lawn too. Though you wouldn’t think so at the moment. Thanks for info on long grass not being good for chooks. I always give mine the clippings.

MyHaven Your babies look beautiful. I didn’t know about the snails either. Thanks

Fancy I have so much oregano here grows like a weed I used mow it when I had it under the mandarin tree. Do you think I could give that to the boys and girls? I’ve bought grower and it doesn’t have any anti coccidiosis drugs in it.
Anniebee Thanks for the advice on the garlic (I will be sure and keep my hands away from my face). I only buy the purple as well though I throw it when it starts to grow. I will keep using it now. I love hearing about Sonya she sound like a handful. (aren’t they supposed to be full of life, a bit like kids).

I didn’t know about the newsagents but I bet it’s the same for any retail when it comes to big business.
I know way off chickens. But it’s good to pass on information that helps us to make choices. I for one appreciate everything I learn on here chicken related or not.

Mullyaly We have 7 ISA’s and we are getting 3 eggs a day at the moment and the backyard is covered with feathers. At least we haven’t had to buy any yet.

MyHaven How is your flock going? Just caught up on all the posts I have missed over the last couple of weeks and can't believe your situation.  Hope it is all going well and the affected chooks are getting better.  

Wishing you all the best and hope everyone has a speedy recovery.  :love :cd

Thanks for checking in. The support on the forum helps.

The chooks are having mixed recovery. It has been difficult to isolate symptomatic birds because the look heathy then you turn you back and one has sneezed but I can't tell which.

Anyway 14 layers in one pen have shown at least one of the different symptoms. None of The 9 remaining of the 8-10 week old ones in with the one that died has shown any symptom at all.

Somebody in my "have been picked on and won't fit in my keepers" pen sneezes and hides in the crowd.

One d'uccle in my bantam pen had a closed eye one morning but showed no other symptoms. She and no one else in that pen has shown any illness.

Two of my four cockerels in the bachelor pen are quite sick. The buff Orpingtons. The Speckled Sussex while showing congestion aren't so sick.

All of them are still eating well. Any of them that display lethargy do so for a short time. (Except one buff orp) But they continue to show other symptoms.

They are all on antibiotics now except for the one pen of non symptomatic ones. My silkies.

That's probably more than you were looking for.

Thanks

Certainly the Garlic paste is the way to go, if you don't want to use purple skinned Aussie garlic bulbs.   Notice the garlic mince shows purple skins - sneaky advertising on the jar label that.  The price difference is worth it - as whole garlics are not cheap either.  About the same for a bulb, as the paste I would think.     

Cheers ....... and thanks for posting these pics.    

Good pick up on the advertising pic!

The chooks are having mixed recovery. It has been difficult to isolate symptomatic birds because the look heathy then you turn you back and one has sneezed but I can't tell which.

Anyway 14 layers in one pen have shown at least one of the different symptoms. None of The 9 remaining of the 8-10 week old ones in with the one that died has shown any symptom at all.

Somebody in my "have been picked on and won't fit in my keepers" pen sneezes and hides in the crowd.

One d'uccle in my bantam pen had a closed eye one morning but showed no other symptoms. She and no one else in that pen has shown any illness.

Two of my four cockerels in the bachelor pen are quite sick. The buff Orpingtons. The Speckled Sussex while showing congestion aren't so sick.

All of them are still eating well. Any of them that display lethargy do so for a short time. (Except one buff orp) But they continue to show other symptoms.

They are all on antibiotics now except for the one pen of non symptomatic ones. My silkies.

Thanks
I wanted to know. Thanks I hope they are on the road to recovery.

So, fancychooklady, there's no real way to protect birds if you get "carriers" of something, or they catch something off vermin or wild birds? I was thinking that if new birds have a quarantine period, all was good, but what's happened to myhaven suggests that you might still be unlucky? :( Sometimes reading the forum makes me paranoid.

Thanks

I so wish I could be of more help MyHaven .... but am still very much a newbie when it comes to chicken ailments.

It all sounds so very strange. A broad spectrum anti-biotic I guess would be the go, and I imagine they are on that. ( that's if chickens are given broad spectrums ). ???

So difficult with chickens, at times, but always worth the effort ..... trusting that by end of weekend, your troubles will ease, and all chooks are becoming well again.

Cheers........

Last edited:
Hi to everyone that welcomed me to the group, I'm learning so much on here just reading through everyone's comments!

A massive thank you to Fancychooklady with a huge sigh of relief
1f60c.png
My girl is showing signs of coming good again after 2 days on Marmite (I looked at Vegemite but that didn't have B12 where the Marmite did) she's started foraging up on her legs again, the shaking seems to be easing and she loves it!!

I'm so much more at ease now
1f60a.png

Back
Top Bottom