Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

Hey @Poultry mum, remember a couple weeks back I asked you about fixing a lame chick? Well it turned out I was too late so I decided to see how she manages with a hobble...I put her in the brooder with the second batch of chicks so that she doesn't get trampled by the others...this second batch BTW are all her siblings.....ie. same daddy....they adopted her right away & she's very gentle with them...two weeks in from her injury she's still eating & hobbling well...I don't think she even know she's lame! I love her Fuzzy face! 😍

As long as she's fighting & not in pain she'll still have a second chance in life...😊

View attachment 3329910
View attachment 3329911
View attachment 3329912
That’s great news… she will be fine and yea her fuzzy face is definitely different… she might make a good “mumma” as in all the new chicks that you hatch when they start going outside you can pen them up with her and she’ll teach them… seen as she’s not as quick on her feet as the rest she’ll be able to “mentor” the newcomers

That’s great news… she will be fine and yea her fuzzy face is definitely different…
Yeah I'm hoping the 2nd batch of chicks will develop fluff like her...too bad she's lame but I'll do my best to keep her comfy and pain-free...

she might make a good “mumma” as in all the new chicks that you hatch when they start going outside you can pen them up with her and she’ll teach them… seen as she’s not as quick on her feet as the rest she’ll be able to “mentor” the newcomers
That's actually a great idea seeing how great her temperament is. She might end up becoming broody!? 😂😂 :fl

Maybe I'll think about increasing the size of the brooder so she can care for new hatchlings ...will have to make sure she's momma-ready/quality first though! 😂

Yeah I'm hoping the 2nd batch of chicks will develop fluff like her...too bad she's lame but I'll do my best to keep her comfy and pain-free...

That's actually a great idea seeing how great her temperament is. She might end up becoming broody!? 😂😂 :fl

Maybe I'll think about increasing the size of the brooder so she can care for new hatchlings ...will have to make sure she's momma-ready/quality first though! 😂
So long as your switching out new for old and not leaving too long of a time gap in between she should be fine… try and keep your hatches 6 weeks apart that way when one lot is 6 weeks and ready to move on the next lot is just starting to hatch and you can replace them seemlessly without her really noticing lol

So. Many. Babies. :love
20221123_102004.jpg

I've been a bit busy lately, so might have missed something.
Those chicks are lovely!🥰 what breed are the ones at the front?
Barnevelders. Been years since I've kept some, but decided I want to do a breeding project. The colours are spectacular, I am so used to the normal buff sussex colours 😅
Added a pic.

Attachments

• 20221122_200754.jpg
    20221122_200754.jpg
    436.5 KB · Views: 2
Barnevelders. Been years since I've kept some, but decided I want to do a breeding project. The colours are spectacular, I am so used to the normal buff sussex colours 😅
Added a pic.
So cute…
I used to have barnevelders and I think my schnitzel is a barnevelder x blue gold laced Wyandotte
Unfortunately that’s the only photo I’ve got of her atm… will have to get an updated one

Attachments

• AFFD8B30-6B22-4BDE-9A0E-9CB5D486AF4F.jpeg
    AFFD8B30-6B22-4BDE-9A0E-9CB5D486AF4F.jpeg
    499.4 KB · Views: 2
What a cutie! Can't wait to see the adult colouring of my babies, all I know right now is 5 of the eggs marked Gold Barny hatch and all 6 of the ones marked Silver hatched.
Side, where would the best place to ask about the colour of a chicken be? One of the "Buff" Cockerels I have is confusing me so very much :hmm
He's awfully handsome and ever so tempting to keep, if I had the space/time for another project :p

Added a pic.
Interesting, I did consider getting some, for the brown eggs, but went with marans instead.
What do you think of their temperaments? I love their looks, but wasn't quite so sure if they would fit in with my flock.

What do you think of their temperaments? I love their looks, but wasn't quite so sure if they would fit in with my flock.
I cant remember anything negative about them other then the one cranky rooster I had. I think I did fairly often run them with my other chickens in the paddock no problem.

Back
Top Bottom