My Aussie was a rescue from abuse at eight weeks old. She's the best and worst guard dog ever. She'll bark her head off if anyone comes on the property, but she's barking to get their attention so they'll pet her. She investigated my chicks when I first put them out, got pecked on the nose, and has been scared of them since then. As a pup, I had to run her for about five miles at around 20-30 miles per hour, sometimes up to 35, to wear her out when she got 'hyper'. Now she's nine and a couch potato, though people still think she's about two when she gets excited. The shedding 365-6 days a year is a serious issue. I sweep up her 'puppies', aka balls of her hair, every day, all year round, just trying to keep it under control. They need frequent brushing, and if you live where there's cheat-grass and foxtails like I do, shaving isn't a bad idea to keep them from burrowing in and embedding under the skin. Just brushing won't take those out. Even shaved, she manages to shed an absurd amount.

The only thing she seriously fears is thunder and gunfire. As a puppy I took her out shooting with me all the time, and she had no problem with it. Then I took her to a place that, unbeknownst to me, someone had just shot a dog the day before. I don't know what she smelled... but... She didn't even make it out of the truck before she went into a full-blown, screaming panic, and ever since then, she's been scared of gunfire and thunder, explosions, any loud thundery or sharp noise.

Oh, one other thing... she freaks out if I cough. I blame that on recurring lung problems I've had since before getting her, the aftermath of being heavily exposed to black mold for a year before it was discovered what was making me sick.

She sounds like a great dog and very intelligent. That's understandable she'd be scared of that after that. I would be too if it was say a person. They say dogs can get PTSD just like people can.

Also forgot to mention, Beau is a smooth coat collie, so he has short hair. There is also rough coat, which will look like lassie. Beau sheds much less (but still a lot) than a rough, so I suggest a smooth, especially if he/she is running around through woods or tall grasses.

Thanks, good point. I'll have to look into the smooth coats.

We used to have a yellow lab that would NOT walk on wood floors. Had a friend keep him for a week while we were out of town....she has all wood floors. We had to borrow throw rugs from everyone we knew to cover the floors. He wouldn’t go in the house until we did!:rant

Oh wow lol

I'm sure Beau is a lot more comfortable in hot weather than the rough coated Collies.

Probably!

We used to have a yellow lab that would NOT walk on wood floors. Had a friend keep him for a week while we were out of town....she has all wood floors. We had to borrow throw rugs from everyone we knew to cover the floors. He wouldn’t go in the house until we did!:rant
Lol yes our friends made pathways through their house with anything they could find, rugs, mats, yoga mats, etc so that Beau would walk around. Luckily he is more comfortable and doesn’t need them anymore.

They're beautiful! The barking is a little concerning though. My current dog constantly barks and it's annoying.

Thanks for the info. The job thing is no problem cause I'm pretty involved with my dogs and love being with and working with them. It's weird cause otherwise i can be somewhat lazy but for dogs I'll do about anything to keep them happy. I also plan on trying agility, frisbee, or dock diving or nose work. Hiking and biking lots too and lots of trick training. Idk if any of those count as jobs?
Yup. They all do. These dogs need something to keep them physically and mentally engaged. All the things you mentioned will do that.

We have 2 miniature Aussies! 20 and 22 pounds but packed with energy! The blk white and tan is Lucy Lane and the merle coat pup is Matilda Mae! Two very different dogs! Lucy is brown eyed, overly protective, controlling, and needs to herd everything while Matilda is blue-eyed, laid back and loves to ride!

Lucy stays with us on the homestead. While she is afraid of her shadow, she will go after and kill small predators. She wants to herd the geese and chickens but has never had an interest in catching them. Her skills are amazing to watch tho as she can turn on a dime and move the animals into the smallest opening without injury! She is not very sociable with strangers and other dogs, and she will bark at the wind!

Matilda rides with my son when he drives for his trucking company. She loves the window seat and loves to meet people and other dogs. She is very intelligent, quiet and sociable!

Two dogs from the same litter but both quite different! The attitude depends on the dog!

Attachments

• 1226171322b.jpg
    1226171322b.jpg
    587.6 KB · Views: 16
Yup. They all do. These dogs need something to keep them physically and mentally engaged. All the things you mentioned will do that.

Okay great! That's good to know, thanks.

We also have tons of areas to walk, bike, hike and swim here if they like swimming. Both fresh water ponds and salt water beaches. As well as a huge yard for frisbee or fetch or whatever. It's seriously huge. And when my dog was younger and more agile and my brother still had his humvee and his moped, he used to drive both in laps around and around the yard (the front is a giant bowl) and Gator used to chase after him and be exhausted lol I might to that or go to the old fire roads in the state forest and drive for a few miles lol obviously I'd directly interact with them a lot too but if it wasn't enough or I couldn't quite handle them. I am rather out of shape myself so idk about running but frisbee or fetch doesn't require much effort and with as big as the yard is, should hopefully wear them out. And I think I can manage hiking and biking, at least short ones and maybe we can build together. And if not, my brother and his fiancé are real go go go kinda people and outdoorsy and love hiking, mountain biking, paddle boarding, etc. So dog could always go with them and their dog some too. Although of course I don't want dogs first hike to be climbing a mountain so maybe small hikes first would be good. Sorry, now I'm just rambling haha

We have 2 miniature Aussies! 20 and 22 pounds but packed with energy! The blk white and tan is Lucy Lane and the merle coat pup is Matilda Mae! Two very different dogs! Lucy is brown eyed, overly protective, controlling, and needs to herd everything while Matilda is blue-eyed, laid back and loves to ride!

Lucy stays with us on the homestead. While she is afraid of her shadow, she will go after and kill small predators. She wants to herd the geese and chickens but has never had an interest in catching them. Her skills are amazing to watch tho as she can turn on a dime and move the animals into the smallest opening without injury! She is not very sociable with strangers and other dogs, and she will bark at the wind!

Matilda rides with my son when he drives for his trucking company. She loves the window seat and loves to meet people and other dogs. She is very intelligent, quiet and sociable!

Two dogs from the same litter but both quite different! The attitude depends on the dog!

They're beautiful and adorable! That's so interesting they have such varied personalities from the same litter! I would have moreso believed or understood same breed, different litter cause breeds vary a lot but same litter is so interesting.

They're adorable though.

Do you think part of the difference is Matilda's extra socialization from the trucking?

They also have different sizes of Aussie ^_^ they of course come standard, mini, or toy. I have a large toy/small mini, weighs 20 lbs. He is awesome. He does bark at everything, but with training, when momma says quiet, hes done. He is really attentive to me and minds pretty well. Stays within our property with no fence. He is great with other people, kids, dogs, cats, chickens, and pretty much any critter. If he is high energy, his smaller size makes it containable ^_^ the only caveat I would say is that he eats EVERYTHING...chicken poop, possum poop, sticks, plastic, stuffed animals, etc...you get the picture. Thankfully hes learned drop it. I hope he grows out of this, hes only a year! Good luck with your decision ^_^ also, I keep him trimmed because we live in the woods and the burrs are crazy to pick out of his coat
20180713_074421.jpg

They also have different sizes of Aussie ^_^ they of course come standard, mini, or toy. I have a large toy/small mini, weighs 20 lbs. He is awesome. He does bark at everything, but with training, when momma says quiet, hes done. He is really attentive to me and minds pretty well. Stays within our property with no fence. He is great with other people, kids, dogs, cats, chickens, and pretty much any critter. If he is high energy, his smaller size makes it containable ^_^ the only caveat I would say is that he eats EVERYTHING...chicken poop, possum poop, sticks, plastic, stuffed animals, etc...you get the picture. Thankfully hes learned drop it. I hope he grows out of this, hes only a year! Good luck with your decision ^_^ also, I keep him trimmed because we live in the woods and the burrs are crazy to pick out of his coat View attachment 1466746

Awww he's adorable!! He sounds like a good boy

They're beautiful and adorable! That's so interesting they have such varied personalities from the same litter! I would have moreso believed or understood same breed, different litter cause breeds vary a lot but same litter is so interesting.

They're adorable though.

Do you think part of the difference is Matilda's extra socialization from the trucking?
Great question but Matilda was calm before she started to ride with my son. That is why he chose her to go with him! Also, the two girls love each other so much but they are very, very competitive with each other! When they are together, Lucy is the boss! I always attributed the difference in personality to the eye and coat color! They are pure bread! The father is identical to Lucy and the mother is merle like Matilda... only she has one brown eye and one blue eye!

Back
Top Bottom