Australorp or Jersey Giant?

I was looking at pictures of 6 month old jerseys, and they look identical to mine, even in the feet. I sent an email to the people I got them from asking where they got them.

The australorps have seen have pink feet. In the light, mine have a light yellow whitish feet.

I have two hatchery Australorps and one hatchery Jersey Giant. Unless I pick them up and look at their feet, I cannot tell which is the Jersey Giant. They are identical.

Here they are at 12 weeks old. Same shape and build. Same size. Same compact, single combs. Same dark eyes. Same dark wash on the legs. Unless I physically pick them up to check, I usually can't tell who is who.

You have Australorps. You can not will them into being Jersey Giants. I'm sorry you didn't source from a reputable breeder. Next time, do a bit more research before you decide to purchase birds from a 'breeder'.

Ain't nothing wrong with australorp's one of our best hens from the free range flock (mixed flock of a buncha breeds) is a lorp and she is number #1 in the pecking order.

If you are not happy with them your best bets to find a reputable breeder focused on a few choosing breeds.

Last edited:
Also, my birds are younger than all the other birds, but are larger and faster growing than the other ones. There is some yellow on their feet.

You're determined to believe you have Giants even though everyone says otherwise. No one is likely going to agree with you.

As I said in my earlier post, it doesn't really matter. No matter what you call them, they are very poor examples of the JG breed. Not a problem if you're just keeping them for yourself, but please don't do what that 'breeder' did to you and sell these or their offspring to others as good examples of the breed.

Their feet look a lot like the pictures of jersey feet in the thread I linked. They are growing fast. They have some yellow on their feet. Do australorps have any yellow on their feet?

Back
Top Bottom