Australorps breed Thread

If I may interject....there is absolutely nothing wrong with breeding siblings, cockerels to their dams, Cocks to their daughters...If the breeder knows his/her stock and knows the purpose of the breeding...not just to produce more chicks.

I didn't say there was, it's just that a lot of people consider breeding siblings to be taboo. Believe me, I've met some newbies who think breeding siblings will result in 3 legs and scissor beaks. I try to limit breeding siblings to one generation, beyond that, I try to stick with line breeding (child to parent).

I didn't say there was, it's just that a lot of people consider breeding siblings to be taboo. Believe me, I've met some newbies who think breeding siblings will result in 3 legs and scissor beaks. I try to limit breeding siblings to one generation, beyond that, I try to stick with line breeding (child to parent).
LOL That's sweet, but breeding child to parent is very deep inbreeding, in fact most of what some call 'line breeding' is in fact inbreeding.

Oh, I realize I quoted you but that was by mistake and was not directing my post to you but I'm very glad you read and took interest in it...thank you very much.

RON

Last edited:
LOL That's sweet, but breeding child to parent is very deep inbreeding, in fact most of what some call 'line breeding' is in fact inbreeding.

Oh, I realize I quoted you but that was by mistake and was not directing my post to you but I'm very glad you read and took interest in it...thank you very much.

RON

I think breeding fathers to daughters, etc. is pretty much accepted in birds unlike dogs but breeding siblings is a little more touchy.

Dan

I think breeding fathers to daughters, etc. is pretty much accepted in birds unlike dogs but breeding siblings is a little more touchy.

Dan
It's pretty much the same with dogs ....siblings being the closest possible inbreeding but father to daughter breeding in dogs is a very common practice. I've done it to some extent but then I try to bring somewhat more distant relatives, like great uncles etc.

RON

It's pretty much the same with dogs ....siblings being the closest possible inbreeding but father to daughter breeding in dogs is a very common practice. I've done it to some extent but then I try to bring somewhat more distant relatives, like great uncles etc.

RON

Breeding Father to Daughters was far from a common practice when I Bred dogs. All the Old timers taught me to never go closer than Grand Father to Grand Daughter and even another generation out was good. It took longer but IMO you ended up with Stronger much more consistent lines, instead of some Great and some Idiots!

If that is a common practice in today's dog breeding it explains a lot of things I have seen.

And Breeding Birds is a different ball game entirely though.

Dan

Breeding Father to Daughters was far from a common practice when I Bred dogs. All the Old timers taught me to never go closer than Grand Father to Grand Daughter and even another generation out was good. It took longer but IMO you ended up with Stronger much more consistent lines, instead of some Great and some Idiots!

If that is a common practice in today's dog breeding it explains a lot of things I have seen.

And Breeding Birds is a different ball game entirely though.

Dan
Dan, within the ranks of 'breeders', much theory is discussed but actual practice is far from theory, be it birds, dogs swine or cattle...

RON

EDIT: I believe there's at least one well respected breeder on this board who will bear my principals out.

Last edited:
Dan, within the ranks of 'breeders', much theory is discussed but actual practice is far from theory, be it birds, dogs swine or cattle...

RON

EDIT: I believe there's at least one well respected breeder on this board who will bear my principals out.

Well don't be shy!

Dan

RON
Breeding FULL siblings to one another is just a re-scrambling of existing genes. Breeding HALF siblings increases the influence of the common parent.

The light is for eggs. They need 12 to 14 hours a day to lay eggs for most breeds. Australorps will lay in the winter but they are not as good at it as Orpingtons and Rocks.

Just the way they are as a breed. You could breed for winter laying but that is a bit like trying to make a pig into a swan. It is hard to change main breed Characteristics.

Look for snow flakes on this chart. Those are winter laying breeds without light.

When you see that Leghorns lay 300 egg per year, that assumes supplemental lighting in the winter.

http://www.sagehenfarmlodi.com/chooks/chooks.html

G'day Ron,
haven't caught up for a while and came across this. Just wondering if winter laying is not the norm in American BA's. I've gotta disagree with you that it's "just the way they are as a breed". Here they are highly regarded as winter layers and from my own experience, I agree. My birds last season began laying on the very first day of winter and only stopped in the following fall for moulting.
Regards Geoff

Ron,
meant to add that it doesn't get as cold in most of Australia as it does in your northern bits. My climate would be similar to California my American Aussie friends tell me. I couldn't say how they perform as a breed in very cold conditions. I vaguely recall though that BA's didn't perform as well in England as they did here. Plus, I understand that they took off more in your south when introduced to the U.S. Surprisingly for a black chook, they cope with heat well if not overweight. We had a few weeks of over 40 degrees Celsius this summer and a couple of my girls decided to go broody! Hatched out the chicks too. As we know, Ron, there're breed characteristics, but different strains don't look the same, nor behave the same.
Cheers Geoff

Back
Top Bottom