Australorps Breeding for SOP and Exhibition Thread

Pics
My wife and 9 yr old daughter would love to raise this beautiful breed for egg-laying production/home consumption.
We prefer to get hatching eggs or pullets from a reputable breeder versus these commercial hatcheries for certain.

We live in Hawaii and if there's anyone here that can help us we'd greatly appreciate it.

Please send me a PM

Aloha

I hope you're able to get some! There are some breeders along the West Coast that should be able to help you.

Good luck!

MrsB

Just wondering about peoples thoughts on the differences between the Australian standard and the one we follow here in North America. How do you feel about trying to "get back" to the Australian profile? And would that mean reintroducing some black Orpington for tail set?

My goal exactly.

The tail is to be set at 40 degrees off the back, If you cull out all squirrel tailed birds and keep the flat backs for breeding, you can obtain the tail that is required by the standard. 
It takes time and determination to develop the traits you want in your flock but you must cull, cull, cull.

Can you help us newbies understand these terms? What exactly is squirrel tailed or flat backed?

Can you help us newbies understand these terms? What exactly is squirrel tailed or flat backed?

^ There is a bird with a "squirrel tail." Not my bird, nor is it an Australorp... Just using for example. :)

The flat back refers to the "U" shaped back an Aussie should have. It should be one smooth curve from the base of the comb to the tip of the tail.... slightly less severe than the shape of a Langshan, but more curve than a Jersey Giant.

http://www.australorps.com/4.html <~~ These are the Australian standards. American standard is a *little* different, but the curvature of the neck, back and tail align with our cousins down under. :)

Hope that helps!

MrsB

^ There is a bird with a "squirrel tail." Not my bird, nor is it an Australorp. Hope that helps! MrsB
Thanks, MrsB. Is it being high that is bad or is it the curling down that is improper? I've noticed with hens that European BAs tails turn down rounded whereas many US BA tails point up like the Leghorn. What is the show expectation in the US? Are the Austrailian and US standards different in this area?

Thanks, MrsB. Is it being high that is bad or is it the curling down that is improper? I've noticed with hens that European BAs tails turn down rounded whereas many US BA tails point up like the Leghorn. What is the show expectation in the US? Are the Austrailian and US standards different in this area?

It's how far the sickle feathers reach toward the back of the neck. Here is an illustrated example. You can see how the tail extends forward beyond 90 degress. An Aussie has no sharp angles like that.

As previously stated, it's a bird of curves. The Aussie standard calls for a "rounded" rump (looks a little Cochin-y to me), where American allows for a little longer tail, but both should be carried no higher than 40 degrees from the back.

The Aussie rooster in my avatar happened to be holding himself right, and I got a pretty good photo of "the scoop" that the back needs. Granted, it's not *perfect,* but that's what we aim for!

MrsB

Back
Top Bottom