Australorps Breeding for SOP and Exhibition Thread

Pics

^ Callaway, 5 months today!

^ Mr. Darcy, 5 months today!

^ Big Papa, the happy father. :)

Our pullets are shy, so it's tough to get a picture of them that is still (you can catch a glimpse of one to the left of Big Papa)! I'll work on it. I feel like we've got three pullets that will be absolutely gorgeous!

Ignore my personal bias....
cool.png

MrsB

Thank you. :)

We're super-pleased with the pullets... Not so impressed with the cockerels. The only one we might use for our breeding program has lighter eyes than the SOP calls for. Depending on his type, we may have three in the freezer and put the pullets in with Big Papa when we finish the APA coop.

PLANS!!! :D

MrsB
Mrs. B, are you speaking of the pullets in these pictures that you are super pleased with?

Matt

Mrs. B, are you speaking of the pullets in these pictures that you are super pleased with?

Matt

The pullets to which I refer are not shown in the bottom picture. Those are mostly hatchery birds (you can tell by the axe-wedge tail)... we've got a mixed flock for now, until MrB and I can finish our big breeding coop, move the APA birds over, and get that started................. Eventually. -_-

^ Here is one of our APA pullets sassing me. We have a total of five... four that we will use in the breeding program. They're extremely camera shy, so it's a pain to try and get them to hold still.

I hope that answers your question. :)

MrsB

The pullets to which I refer are not shown in the bottom picture. Those are mostly hatchery birds (you can tell by the axe-wedge tail)... we've got a mixed flock for now, until MrB and I can finish our big breeding coop, move the APA birds over, and get that started................. Eventually. -_-

^ Here is one of our APA pullets sassing me. We have a total of five... four that we will use in the breeding program. They're extremely camera shy, so it's a pain to try and get them to hold still.

MrsB
She wants a treat, not a picture taken!
tongue.png

She looks nice in the picture--Big girl too.

Last edited:

MrsB

O.K....that makes sense. I thought maybe I was going crazy or something...LOL

Matt

Although I am going to get flack over this here goes. This is the Australorp SOP and breeding thread. Australorps were never designed to look like big fat Orpingtons and that seems to be the trend with a lot of breeders and judges. I wish people would get out their SOP APA book and compare the pictures of what an Australorp looks like and what an Orpington is supposed to look like. Body shape, back, tail angle, and more are all different between the two. From what I am seeing lately they are way too fluffy in the bottom, flat short backs like an orpington with a big cushion instead of being the "Bird of Curves" like they were intended to be. From my understanding they were created to be a sleeker, egg laying machine, not just the copy of a big orpington. Now if you really want to know what an Australorp is supposed to look like check out the Australian Aussies. The problem is that we received their utility australorps not show quality and that is the crux of the problem. I would also like to state that there is no such thing as show quality eggs, APA eggs, APA birds, etc. Unless a bird has won national shows and has the ribbons to prove it then it is just another bird. I do accept the term exhibition quality if you have shown birds and know what you are talking about. OK I am done ranting!!!
Kurt

Although I am going to get flack over this here goes. This is the Australorp SOP and breeding thread. Australorps were never designed to look like big fat Orpingtons and that seems to be the trend with a lot of breeders and judges. I wish people would get out their SOP APA book and compare the pictures of what an Australorp looks like and what an Orpington is supposed to look like. Body shape, back, tail angle, and more are all different between the two. From what I am seeing lately they are way too fluffy in the bottom, flat short backs like an orpington with a big cushion instead of being the "Bird of Curves" like they were intended to be. From my understanding they were created to be a sleeker, egg laying machine, not just the copy of a big orpington. Now if you really want to know what an Australorp is supposed to look like check out the Australian Aussies. The problem is that we received their utility australorps not show quality and that is the crux of the problem. I would also like to state that there is no such thing as show quality eggs, APA eggs, APA birds, etc. Unless a bird has won national shows and has the ribbons to prove it then it is just another bird. I do accept the term exhibition quality if you have shown birds and know what you are talking about. OK I am done ranting!!!
Kurt

Your input is, as always, appreciated.

MrsB

Back
Top Bottom