Australorps Breeding for SOP and Exhibition Thread

Pics
Kurt, my first name is Cheryl. Nice to know that you have some that do go broody. I've heard that while rare, a few can, and do go broody. When, and if I get to the point that I'm set up, and ready for a second line, I will contact you.

I pulled this from Wikipedia: It was the egg laying performance of Australorps that attracted world attention when in 1922-23 a team of six hens set a world record by laying 1,857 eggs for an average of 309.5 eggs per hen during a 365 consecutive day trial. It must be remembered that these figures were achieved without the lighting regimes of the modern intensive shed. Such performances had importation orders flooding in from England, United States of America, South Africa, Canada and Mexico. Well looked after Australorps lay approximately 250 light-brown eggs per year. A new record was set when a hen laid 364 eggs in 365 days.[9] They are also known to be good nest sitters and mothers, making them one of the most exceptional large, heritage utility breeds of chicken.

Matt, I agree that being bred for higher production would preclude them from being overly broody, however, it seems unlikely that the breed has been able to survive extinction, especially from the 20's to the 50's without being able to hatch out their own offspring. I'm not sure how reliable the information is in Wikipedia, and some of the other older publications, but if they are to be believed, other than the exceptional one or two that set the laying records, they laid an average of 250 eggs a year, which left time for them to be good broodies, and mothers.
It's my understanding that back in the day, many farmers would grab the best representation of their flock right out of their yard, and take them to show them. Yes, I know things have changed since then, but it still seems less likely that the best lines of the breed will survive the next 100 years if they can't hatch out their own offspring.

The reason I started thinking about this, is that it would be nice that my children, grandchildren, and possibly my great grandchildren could be able to continue successfully with what I've started, which would be a lot easier to do without them having to resort to incubators, or having to keep another breed of hens to hatch out the eggs, yet still be able to maintain the standards.

Cheryl, I understand but I believe throughout their existence people have had the capability of incubating the eggs so there is really no reason for them to have to hatch their own offspring. There are many breeds of chickens in the show world that are not only not broody but completely incapable of breeding successfully. I am talking to the point that every one produced is from artificial insemination. These breeds have been this way for a long time and continue to flourish due to interest of exhibitors. Not being a traditionalist I feel like it is not really necessary for them to hatch their own as we have incubators to do it for us. I actually discourage broodiness in all my breeds of birds and will get rid of a line that consistently goes broody.

Cheryl, I understand but I believe throughout their existence people have had the capability of incubating the eggs so there is really no reason for them to have to hatch their own offspring. There are many breeds of chickens in the show world that are not only not broody but completely incapable of breeding successfully. I am talking to the point that every one produced is from artificial insemination. These breeds have been this way for a long time and continue to flourish due to interest of exhibitors. Not being a traditionalist I feel like it is not really necessary for them to hatch their own as we have incubators to do it for us. I actually discourage broodiness in all my breeds of birds and will get rid of a line that consistently goes broody.
That makes a lot of sense!

I have 2 styrobators, and have successfully hatched eggs, and hope to get a better incubator soon, so it's not a big deal for me. I have at least one daughter that has cared for chickens, and has successfully incubated eggs as well, so she can keep them going, and she will have to teach my grandchildren how to do it, if I'm not able, or no longer around when the time comes for them to take over. I know sex links don't reproduce their own kind, and such, but I had no idea there were breeds that rely totally on artificial insemination, and can't breed successfully. It's a good thing I didn't opt for one of those breeds. I would have a difficult time explaining the sexy chicken lingerie to excite my rooster, to my husband.
lau.gif

I have 2 styrobators, and have successfully hatched eggs, and hope to get a better incubator soon, so it's not a big deal for me. I have at least one daughter that has cared for chickens, and has successfully incubated eggs as well, so she can keep them going, and she will have to teach my grandchildren how to do it, if I'm not able, or no longer around when the time comes for them to take over. I know sex links don't reproduce their own kind, and such, but I had no idea there were breeds that rely totally on artificial insemination, and can't breed successfully. It's a good thing I didn't opt for one of those breeds. I would have a difficult time explaining the sexy chicken lingerie to excite my rooster, to my husband.
lau.gif

Lol...

Hi, I got my first flock of chickens last year and have spent countless hours reasearching. My husband and I are buying a property so that we can be more self sufficient. I'd like to breed my own replacement birds when I need new layers or meat, but I don't want to use hatchery birds as they are such poor examples of their breed and I would prefer to do the breed justice by working towards their standard. I chose australorps because the are both beautiful and useful. I was wondering if any of you could point me to someone near Northern California that I could get decent starter birds from? I don't need perfect specimens, even culls that could be improved with some work would be great. I just don't think I can start with mass hatchery stock. They are so far from the standard that I don't think it's worth trying. I don't need them to have the laying abilities of production birds as feed is extremely cheep for me because I have a good connection. I'm just trying to be responsible when I breed and not muddle the waters genetically. Thanks

Last edited:
Hi, I got my first flock of chickens last year and have spent countless hours reasearching. My husband and I are buying a property so that we can be more self sufficient. I'd like to breed my own replacement birds when I need new layers or meat, but I don't want to use hatchery birds as they are such poor examples of their breed and I would prefer to do the breed justice by working towards their standard. I chose australorps because the are both beautiful and useful. I was wondering if any of you could point me to someone near Northern California that I could get decent starter birds from? I don't need perfect specimens, even culls that could be improved with some work would be great. I just don't think I can start with mass hatchery stock. They are so far from the standard that I don't think it's worth trying. I don't need them to have the laying abilities of production birds as feed is extremely cheep for me because I have a good connection. I'm just trying to be responsible when I breed and not muddle the waters genetically. Thanks
It is great to have you post here!

@heatherlaw There was a breeder out of Rockland or Lincoln, near Sacramento. I found them on Standard bred poultry--They have mostly show quality breeders on there. I did not fine them now though.

Look into getting some from Urch-turnland poultry. http://standardbreedpoultry.com/breeder/Duane UrchUrch-Turnland Poultry/190

Urch\Turnland will sell both hatching eggs and chicks.

One source would be the Pacific Poultry show too--It is at the end of this month. There will be a sales area there.

LL

It is great to have you post here! @heatherlaw There was a breeder out of Rockland or Lincoln, near Sacramento. I found them on Standard bred poultry--They have mostly show quality breeders on there. I did not fine them now though. Look into getting some from Urch-turnland poultry. http://standardbreedpoultry.com/breeder/Duane UrchUrch-Turnland Poultry/190 Urch\Turnland will sell both hatching eggs and chicks. One source would be the Pacific Poultry show too--It is at the end of this month. There will be a sales area there.
LL
Thanks so much! I will definitely look into that. I appreciate you helping me out. It was surprisingly hard to find decent birds when I searched them originally. Can't wait to get some of these!

The urch\turnland BAs win ribbons in Minnesota each year. They are nice--of course they can be better which is where you come in!

Back
Top Bottom